• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Wings Want to Re-sign Bert Before Free Agency

Rate this topic

For those of you that feel Bert will only get $2-$2.5, I think you need a reality check. If you've been paying attention to the market as of late, there isn't much to suggest that Bert won't get a good amount via free agency. On top of that, what kind of "hometown" discount are expecting from him? The guy was in Detroit all of 3 months.

Don't forget that Lang made $3.8 million last season. For those of you that have bashed Robert, you should put that in perspective when comparing your $2-$2.5 million predictions.

I don't want Bert to be signed to the Wings for more than $3, but I feel he could and will get $3-$3.5 on the open market. Believe that.

Edit: Spelling

Bertuzzi is a huge question mark. You can't really assume he's going to get market value, because he's not. I don't understand what Lang's contract has anything to do with Bertuzzi. Lang's deal was signed before the lockout when he was a marquee center. Bertuzzi is an injured power forward.

I'm predicting $2.5 with incentives.

Guest Crymson

For those of you that feel Bert will only get $2-$2.5, I think you need a reality check. If you've been paying attention to the market as of late, there isn't much to suggest that Bert won't get a good amount via free agency. On top of that, what kind of "hometown" discount are expecting from him? The guy was in Detroit all of 3 months.

Don't forget that Lang made $3.8 million last season. For those of you that have bashed Robert, you should put that in perspective when comparing your $2-$2.5 million predictions.

I don't want Bert to be signed to the Wings for more than $3, but I feel he could and will get $3-$3.5 on the open market. Believe that.

Detroit is a special team, Bert likes being close to his home, and Bert wants to be on a team which has a chance of winning it all. IIRC he made it further in the playoffs this season than he has ever been before. Those three factors will, hopefully, combine to give him lower contract expectations. Other factors besides money go into players` decisions on where to play. See Kariya's outstandingly low (~$1.75m) contract in Colorado in 2003-2004 as an example; he wanted a Cup, and he didn't care about anything else.

Players who want to win will take less money. In '01-'02, Shanahan, Yzerman and a couple of others deferred parts of their salaries so that Hull could join the team; Hull also agreed to a reduced salary in order for this to happen.

Don't forget that Bert has publicly stated that he loves playing here, and that his home is only a three hour drive away.

Bertuzzi is a huge question mark. You can't really assume he's going to get market value, because he's not. I don't understand what Lang's contract has anything to do with Bertuzzi. Lang's deal was signed before the lockout when he was a marquee center. Bertuzzi is an injured power forward.

I'm predicting $2.5 with incentives.

That, I can see. Some here seem to think the Wings will get him for a total contract worth $2-$2.5, or that there isn't one other team in the NHL that will pay him more than that. It's simply not true.

The Lang comparison was merely used as a dollar & cents example at the current time.

Sidenote: Never once did I say I assumed he was going to get market value. I stated that the market is high currently, and that could be a factor.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I believe Bertuzzi, having shook off "the incident," and having the summer to heal his back, can return to 90-95% of the player he once was.... He is exactly the type of player we have needed, and 2.5-3 million per for 3-4 years would be a steal..... And even if he could only become 80% of the player he once was, I'd rather have him on the Wings than not.....

Detroit is a special team, Bert likes being close to his home, and Bert wants to be on a team which has a chance of winning it all. IIRC he made it further in the playoffs this season than he has ever been before. Those three factors will, hopefully, combine to give him lower contract expectations. Other factors besides money go into players` decisions on where to play. See Kariya's outstandingly low (~$1.75m) contract in Colorado in 2003-2004 as an example; he wanted a Cup, and he didn't care about anything else.

Players who want to win will take less money. In '01-'02, Shanahan, Yzerman and a couple of others deferred parts of their salaries so that Hull could join the team; Hull also agreed to a reduced salary in order for this to happen.

Don't forget that Bert has publicly stated that he loves playing here, and that his home is only a three hour drive away.

Crymson, you've been a member of this site long enough to know how closely I follow hockey and the Wings. No offense, but you didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. Of course there are other factors than just money, but don't kid yourself into believing that simply because of the reasons you just listed that Bert will take a suckers contract. Here's the thing, I want Bert to be a Red Wing, and I hope that he will get no more than $3 mil or a contract totaling that with incentives from Detroit. If he doesn't sign with Detroit, you can mark this post that he will make no less than a contract that will/could total beyond $3 million on the team that picks him up.

That's all I'm saying.

2M with incentives sounds fair.

anything more and i believe we are being played.

bert is worth ALL 2M plus bonuses we'd pay him.

let's get it done.

Edited by spydrwebb

Guest DetroitIan

This is great. Its sounding more and more like we WILL sign Big Bert. I really dont wanna pay anything more than 2.5 mill for him. But IMO Bert is a top priority for us to retain. I got my fingers crossed with this one.

Because some one is a top priority doesn't necessarily mean they are worth 5 mil.

What if the wings really needed a 4th line center, they only had three centers on the team Dats, Z, Draper, would said fourth liner really be worth more than 2.5 just because he is a priority.

A better analogy, the wings only have Hasek and Howard next year (I know, I know never gonna happen, bare with me), Howard blows out his knee in the training camp and Sean Burke is a UFA, does he automatically command 5 mil.

Filling a need has less to do with a players overall worth, than injury history, or a slide in overall performance.

Guest DetroitIan

^ This is the stuff I'm talking about. Bert is supposedly a top priority to sign, but he's only worth $2-$2.5 max. It just doesn't add up.

........even with his injury problems.

Bert really doesnt have a history of being injured. Yeah he did miss most of the regular season because of injury. But I dont forsee that happening again for Bert. And yeah I know what you're saying. But even a 2-2.5 mill player can be a top priority when he brings a combo of strength, size, toughness, and scoring ability. Hell, we should be happy that we might be able to get him for 2.5 mill. Look at the impact he had with us in the short time he was in the winged wheel. Imagine how much he will contribute if he's with us all year long. Schneids IMO is the number 1 priority. However, Big Bert is also a top priority. Its very difficult to find a player that brings what Bert brings to the table.

Because some one is a top priority doesn't necessarily mean they are worth 5 mil.

What if the wings really needed a 4th line center, they only had three centers on the team Dats, Z, Draper, would said fourth liner really be worth more than 2.5 just because he is a priority.

A better analogy, the wings only have Hasek and Howard next year (I know, I know never gonna happen, bare with me), Howard blows out his knee in the training camp and Sean Burke is a UFA, does he automatically command 5 mil.

Filling a need has less to do with a players overall worth, than injury history, or a slide in overall performance.

Don't put words in my mouth. I would hope its blatantly obvious I'm referring to Bert and what type of role he would play on the Wings.

I think you're trying to make an argument out of nothing.

Bert really doesnt have a history of being injured. Yeah he did miss most of the regular season because of injury. But I dont forsee that happening again for Bert. And yeah I know what you're saying. But even a 2-2.5 mill player can be a top priority when he brings a combo of strength, size, toughness, and scoring ability. Hell, we should be happy that we might be able to get him for 2.5 mill. Look at the impact he had with us in the short time he was in the winged wheel. Imagine how much he will contribute if he's with us all year long. Schneids IMO is the number 1 priority. However, Big Bert is also a top priority. Its very difficult to find a player that brings what Bert brings to the table.

Exactly, and its next to impossible to find a player that brings that much to the table while only commanding a $2 million contract, even with his injury plagued 06/07 season.

Sidenote to all LGW members: Sorry if I'm coming off short today. I've been cranky since the beginning of the week.

Sorry I was not picking an argument, I used 5 mil as a reference not that you said it.

Apparently I misunderstood this

Bert is supposedly a top priority to sign, but he's only worth $2-$2.5 max. It just doesn't add up.
to mean you thought he was worth more than 2.5 if you meant he is not a top priority then I am sorry I misunderstood you. I am not trying to pick virtual fights! Edited by Opie

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

3 mil is overpaying for him.

He is not and most likely will never be the player he was.

If the wings give him more than 2.5 I will be upset.

My thoughts exactly

Sorry I was not picking an argument, I used 5 mil as a reference not that you said it.

Apparently I misunderstood this

to mean you thought he was worth more than 2.5 if you meant he is not a top priority then I am sorry I misunderstood you. I am not trying to pick virtual fights!

Cheers, and I could have been more clear with the way I stated it.

Obviously there are priorities on teams that can range from both ends of the spectrum. Fortunately for the Wings its seems like our role players are rock-solid for the upcoming season, and all Kenny and Co have to worry about is getting a couple of solid players to fill out the lineup. Looks good for us having all our young talent back and with one more years worth of experience under their belts.

Bert really needs a performace based contract, and i am sure they are going for just that.

His limited play in "D" proved nothing at all. He was slow, out of sync, and didn't really make much impact.

But those are all things that are expected after back surgery and missing almost the whole season.

I think he should definately sign a incentive-laden contract. If the Wings pay him more than 3mil I think it would be to much. They could spend that money elsewhere, and probably for someone without the huge injury question marks. I love Bert and I hope he comes back, just at the right price.

Guest Crymson

^ This is the stuff I'm talking about. Bert is supposedly a top priority to sign, but he's only worth $2-$2.5 max. It just doesn't add up.

........even with his injury problems.

Agreed--that's a pretty odd train of thought. It'd be like if we were trying to re-sign Datsyuk this summer:

"Datsyuk is a MUST for this team! He'll be worth all of the $1.5m we're going to offer him!"

I think you're missing the point, which is that Bert will not sign for $2.5m.

you'd sign him for 3-4 yrs after the non stellar season he had with us , and the fact that he hasnt played hockey in years not to mention his back problems ?? You got more faith in him then he deserves , any team that would sign him for 4 yrs under those circumstances would be fools

You have to take gambles to get good deals sometimes. Sure a 3-4 deal may be a bust, but if you sign him to a one year deal and he plays awesome well then the price goes way up next year. You have to measure risk vs. reward. Also if his back is a huge concern and it prevents him from playing, sure you still have to honor his contract but then it doesn't count against the cap.

[/quote

That $3.8M that Lang made last year was negotiated before the salary cap came into effect..... If you figure 20% adjustment.... ( which is low, CBA specified 24% )

Bertuzz is well worth 3 million. I actually think that's a steal given Todd being 100% healthy for the season. I think most are looking over the fact that when he actually is healthy, he's an outstanding player that makes a huge difference. He may have gone a bit down from after the incident, but he's still a very valuable player and in my opinion, 3 mil would be a great deal. He'd be snatched just like that via free agency. Especially with the cap rising, and desperate teams needing to fill voids up front.

Anyways, I'd love for Bert to sign somewhere near a three year, 9 mil contract.

That $3.8M that Lang made last year was negotiated before the salary cap came into effect..... If you figure 20% adjustment.... ( which is low, CBA specified 24% )

If you had read the next few posts you would see that I already covered that.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1109596

....allright, just like we said before, Get Hasek, Bertuzzi signed. Drop Schneider & Markov, bring up Quincey & Meech throw the rest of your money at Ryan Smith for 2 years...

...although, with Briere rejecting the Sabres offer... Hmmmmm..... choices, choices...