• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Siffer

Stars sign Brad Winchester

Rate this topic

1 year, $475,000

You gotta be kidding, I didnt even know he was a FA. Winchester for this damn cheap couldve made for a great 4th line signing. A big guy who's still young, is tough, and has potential for an all around game to be developed. This pisses me off! Yeah i already know what you're gonna say, we dont have room for a 4th line signing. Well, you're wrong! At the very least, you couldve had him and Kopecky battle it out for the 12th forward spot, and the loser is your 13th.

Question - Why didn't Edmonton sign him? Not like their roster has players all better than him.

The reason you probably didn't know that he was a Free Agent is probably because 4th liners don't make a lot of headlines.

Question - Why didn't Edmonton sign him? Not like their roster has players all better than him.

The reason you probably didn't know that he was a Free Agent is probably because 4th liners don't make a lot of headlines.

He's maddeningly inconsistent. If he shows up, you're getting a pretty solid player. Unfortunately, he doesn't always show up, and while Edmonton may be willing to give a player like Torres the benefit of the doubt, Winchester is no Torres.

Im sure this doesnt seem like a big deal to most of you, but im quite honestly infuriated right now. You're not going to just pick up those guys like Neil and Moen when they've already reached that coveted status. Their teams will never let them go! Winchester, for a cheap price, is the ideal kinda guy to pick up and develop into something yourself. He's tough and there is skill there to be brought out. Ugh...whatever.

Who knows, maybe MacTavish doesnt like him.

YES!

Another thread about another UFA that's off the table, that's secretly about how much some people here hate Holland. Gee, I wonder where this thread is going to go.

Secretly? I dont think i've exactly made my feelings about Holland a secret!

Having to watch the horrid Oilers all season , This guy and Torres jumped out at me as tough guys who can play. Too bad we didnt sign him , but theres still a couple tough guys who can play on the market.

Doesn't it tell you something when the "horrid Oilers" didn't re-sign him?

Torres can play, but he's lazy.

Im sure this doesnt seem like a big deal to most of you, but im quite honestly infuriated right now. You're not going to just pick up those guys like Neil and Moen when they've already reached that coveted status. Their teams will never let them go! Winchester, for a cheap price, is the ideal kinda guy to pick up and develop into something yourself. He's tough and there is skill there to be brought out. Ugh...whatever.

Who knows, maybe MacTavish doesnt like him.

Secretly? I dont think i've exactly made my feelings about Holland a secret!

You, as well as 50 other members here that are pissed off at Kenny until he brings in a guy like Bert from Florida. Then he's a god all of a sudden, just as he will be to 98% of the current whiners when he brings in a couple great additions come trade deadline time.

Round and round we go.

Difference between the two, of course, is that Torres looks like he has far greater potential. Don't blame the Oilers for signing Torres and letting Winchester go, we don't need two lazy power forwards.

Yeah , those horrid Oilers also let Sykora go too , He must really suck!

Oh yeah , and they traded Ryan Smyth , man , he's gotta be terrible!

Please , you have to give guys chances before you shoot them down , Have you even seen Winchester play? Obviosly , he isnt the solution to our top 6 problem , but he wouldve been the solution to our toughness problem.

How could Holland be so naive? Brad Winchester is the difference maker we've been looking for!

You yourself, have been posting about how Holland is looking for a depth guy. Translation= 3rd and 4th liner. Yet you keep dismissing guys like Asham for example, because they arent top 6 wingers. He's not looking for one so what does it matter?

You, as well as 50 other members here that are pissed off at Kenny until he brings in a guy like Bert from Florida. Then he's a god all of a sudden, just as he will be to 98% of the current whiners when he brings in a couple great additions come trade deadline time.

Round and round we go.

You are sorely mistaken NFM. Ive never once professed a liking for Ken Holland. Maybe other people around here do the flip flop, but thats the farthest thing from the truth with me.

Yeah , those horrid Oilers also let Sykora go too , He must really suck!

Oh yeah , and they traded Ryan Smyth , man , he's gotta be terrible!

Please , you have to give guys chances before you shoot them down , Have you even seen Winchester play? Obviosly , he isnt the solution to our top 6 problem , but he wouldve been the solution to our toughness problem.

:lol:

All of a sudden the Wings would be a tough team that none of the other 29 squads would mess with simply because Kenny signed Winchester. Boom.......as simple as that.

Sign him Kenny. End our toughness problem.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

As I've said in other threads, no one guy is going to be the solution to our toughness problem. Toughness is a philosophy.

You yourself, have been posting about how Holland is looking for a depth guy. Translation= 3rd and 4th liner. Yet you keep dismissing guys like Asham for example, because they arent top 6 wingers. He's not looking for one so what does it matter?

I'd have no problem with Holland bringing in Asham or Winchester to play on the third or fourth line. What I'm saying is people on these boards go around coveting guys like this like they're one of a kind when really they're closer to a dime a dozen.

You are sorely mistaken NFM. Ive never once professed a liking for Ken Holland. Maybe other people around here do the flip flop, but thats the farthest thing from the truth with me.

Well, if you never have, it sure as hell aplies to the other 98% of LGW members that I'm referring to. How quickly people forget how much of a god Kenny was around here when he brought Bert in. I gotta find that thread.

Found: http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...uzzi+a+Red+Wing

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

As I've said in other threads, no one guy is going to be the solution to our toughness problem. Toughness is a philosophy.

Thats true. But signing a Winchester/Asham and having guys like Cleary , Maltby , Draper , Chelios and Lilja can help change the face of this team. They showed team toughness in the playoffs , adding a bit more couldnt hurt. Just so you know , I dont blame our loss in the playoffs on grit or toughness , I blame it on not being very healthy when Anaheim was.

Guest Crymson

YES!

Another thread about another UFA that's off the table, that's secretly about how much some people here hate Holland. Gee, I wonder where this thread is going to go.

Hey! Don't forget the fact that those using it to insult Holland don't ACTUALLY know enough about Brad Winchester to make any sort of argument!

Thats true. But signing a Winchester/Asham and having guys like Cleary , Maltby , Draper , Chelios and Lilja can help change the face of this team. They showed team toughness in the playoffs , adding a bit more couldnt hurt. Just so you know , I dont blame our loss in the playoffs on grit or toughness , I blame it on not being very healthy when Anaheim was.

I'm in favor of Holland adding someone that can bang to the third or fourth line. I'm just not going to get all hung up on it, because these guys aren't all that hard to find.

By the way, our team is tough. It seems like everyone discounts the Europeans or small guys. Didn't the playoffs disprove that theory? Zetterberg and Datsyuk showed they can take a beating and still produce. Holmstrom is one of the toughest guys in the league, pretty easily. The Wings stood up to three of the toughest teams in the league admirably, and now we have virtually the same team minus the dead weight.

Edited by ARice89

Guest Crymson

:lol:

All of a sudden the Wings would be a tough team that none of the other 29 squads would mess with simply because Kenny signed Winchester. Boom.......as simple as that.

Sign him Kenny. End our toughness problem.

Well said. Many people who argue for "toughness" can't really define what it will bring to the team.

I'd have no problem with Holland bringing in Asham or Winchester to play on the third or fourth line. What I'm saying is people on these boards go around coveting guys like this like they're one of a kind when really they're closer to a dime a dozen.

But the thing is, they arent a dime a dozen! How many times do people suggest guys who fight, only to get the famous "he has no skill" rebuttal? Im not saying Winchester would for sure be a great player, but i wouldve liked to see what Babcock could do with him. Because the guy has shown ability. But what are we gonna end up with instead, Hussey or Ellis making the team?

(if those 2 are even still around, which i dont care enough to look up)

Guest DetroitIan

Winchester would not have been a complete solution to our toughness problem. HOWEVER. There are certain players out there, that can come in and make an INSTANT impact to team toughness. If you think about all the times that Zetterberg, or Datsyuk would have constant liberties taken against them, you would realize how desperately we need a true tough guy. Just getting one bad ass banger can help change things for the better. I guaruntee all those teams out there would think twice before giving Zetterberg that extra cross-check to the back of the neck, if we had a guy like McGrattan, or Ivanans. Losing a bit of offense on the 4th line is well worth it.

Guest Crymson

Adding someone who is a pylon and takes the place of a scorer will hurt, yes. There's a reason we didn't use Bootland last year.

guaruntee all those teams out there would think twice before giving Zetterberg that extra cross-check to the back of the neck, if we had a guy like McGrattan, or Ivanans.

That 'guarantee,' besides being worth nothing, is also utterly unfounded. If it were true, we'd see no cheapshots anywhere, ever. Cheapshotters will cheapshot, period. Having an enforcer might make a bit of a difference, but not a huge one.

If he's a pylon and terrible defensively, he's a liability.