• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Who's played drop in hockey?

Rate this topic

Guest jaytan

Is that the same as pick-up games?

I did that in Seattle. It was a mixed bag. There were some old guys and fat guys along with hotshots. But, then again, that's not exactly a hockey city.

It all depends. Some drop-ins are very high caliber, some are more beginner level. If it's an open-to-the-public drop-in, don't be surprised if a lot of guys to stay out for 5 minutes at a time and don't pass much. You really can't compare it to a league, it's more of a practice, get-in-shape type of thing.

Where do you live, what rink(s) are you thinking of skating at?

It all depends.

Where do you live, what rink(s) are you thinking of skating at?

It does. I'd say to not waste your time though... public drop-ins are fun for a quick exercise and a skate, but it doesn't have anything on playing a real game.

Another question: What places do you guys like for roller hockey? I stopped playing in high school and haven't looked back until lately, but now I want to get back in. The only places that get any press or word-of-mouth are Dumars', that Wixom Total facility and West Bloomfield's US Blades... I want to find a good place to do a league.

I play in a local "Over 40" weekly drop-in game. I've only started playing in the last 1 1/2 years and haven't played in a league. The thing I like with our "gang" is that it's "no pressure". If someone screws up, we all just laugh about it. There's no "winning" or "losing". We're just out there to knock the puck around and have fun. We have a mix of skill levels from novices to people that have been playing their whole life (we even has a guy that used to ref IHL, NCAA, and some NHL pre-season games play).

id say the main disadvantage of pick up hockey is the lack of established teams. its just not the same when everyone is playing with different people each week. theres no comerodery and not as much competition. if you can do drop in AND a league that would be best because the more you skate the better youll get

Drop-in sucks. People hog icetime, or it's either over or understaffed with respect to players. Actual men's leagues are where it's at. Smaller teams, more consistency, reffing, real game environment. I've been in beer leagues since I stopped playing youth hockey, and I've had a lot of fun with it. Made some decent friends, too.

Drop-in sucks. People hog icetime, or it's either over or understaffed with respect to players. Actual men's leagues are where it's at. Smaller teams, more consistency, reffing, real game environment. I've been in beer leagues since I stopped playing youth hockey, and I've had a lot of fun with it. Made some decent friends, too.

That's part of it.

The skill level just sucks too, unless you get some real players in who have a conception of playmaking, and it's just not worth it in general, imo.

It's also in a league that you can make a smart choice to don a halffie or go with a skull bucket on and that's it, if you know the general feel for the teams you're with. I wouldn't play cageless for a minute at a drop-in.

I go play drop in every Friday for something to do. I took about 9 months off from playing, so I figure drop in is a good way to get my minimal skills back before joining the league in the fall. And its a good way to get some exercise and not go to the gym.

The main problems have already been hit on. People being puckhogs is my pet peeve.

Drop-in sucks. People hog icetime, or it's either over or understaffed with respect to players. Actual men's leagues are where it's at.
Yes, Drop-in is no replacement for leagues... but it can certainly serve a purpose. For me it's a place for me to "cut my teeth" in playing the game. I don't have to worry about ticking off teammates if I blow a play and let the other team score an easy goal.

Also remember that Drop-in has a different "look and feel" depending on where (and even when) you go. We have a stable group of guys (and gals) (about 75% constant players) and the teams are usually the same core groups of people and are pretty evenly split skill wise.