Guest Canadian Wings

Naslund pops off

Rate this topic

Guest Canadian Wings
Frustrated Naslund questions offensive system

Captain says Canucks give away puck too easily

Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, October 23, 2007

RALEIGH, N.C. - The Vancouver Canucks have a frustrated captain on their hands.Markus Naslund thinks the Canucks are spending too much time chasing the puck and not enough carrying it.

Naslund was clearly frustrated after the Carolina Hurricanes skated to a 3-1 win here Monday night and he seemed to question the team's offensive system.

He said the Canucks are too often dumping the puck into the opponent's zone and would like to see the team be more creative in its offensive attack.

"I think instead of supporting one another or making a play, we're either just flipping the puck out or flipping it in and then have to go chasing after it," he said. "Then it takes 25 or 30 seconds to get it back.

"I'd like us to have the puck more. I'd like the whole team to have the puck more. If you look at the good teams, they have got the puck. Look at a team like Detroit, that's their game and that's why they are so tough to play against because they are always supporting each other and holding onto the puck."

Monday night's game served as another example of Vancouver's struggles five-on-five. The Canucks are not creating much at even-strength and have had to rely on their power play to stay in many games this season. The Canucks have managed only 13 even-strength goals in nine games this season.

"We're not getting enough chances and I think we have to work too hard to get our chances compared to other teams," Naslund said. "I have my own views. I think we're throwing away way too many pucks instead of trying to be creative and not giving the puck away when we've got it."

Canuck coach Alain Vigneault commented on Vancouver's five-on-five struggles before Naslund spoke in the dressing room.

"Five on five we need to be better, obviously," Vigneault said. "But there's not a lot of room out there."

:lol:

He's the captain, he has the right to challenge the team. That article made him look bad for it.

If he delivers, then it's up to his team to pick up the slack. If he doesn't then Linden would make a good next captain.

He's the captain, he has the right to challenge the team. That article made him look bad for it.

If he delivers, then it's up to his team to pick up the slack. If he doesn't then Linden would make a good next captain.

IMO Linden should of been the captain when he got back with the Nucks.. He is the heart and soul of the Nucks

Guest Canadian Wings

No.

i guess we'll just stick with, hudler and i cant put the puck in the net - filpulla :thumbup:

Guest Canadian Wings

I'd rather keep our cap space then pick up a bum like Naslund, though I agree, I'd rather have a good 20-30 goal scorer at this point rather then Filpula or Hudler.

Naslund is a FA after this year, so we'd have our cap space ;)

But your right, Sundin it is! :D

i guess we'll just stick with, hudler and i cant put the puck in the net - filpulla :thumbup:

I'm surprised you'd want Naslund. He isn't Canadian. ;)

In all seriousness, if other players are being shopped from others, I'd take them on way before I take Naslund. His goal scoring has really dropped off the past few years, plus he's incredably soft. I mean, I'd take him over Forsberg if it came to that, but I'd really rather have someone else if there available.

Really though, I think it's too early to be thinking about trade deadline acquisitions right now anyways. I can't remember the last time Holland actually made a trade mid-season.

Guest Canadian Wings

I'm surprised you'd want Naslund. He isn't Canadian. ;)

In all seriousness, if other players are being shopped from others, I'd take them on way before I take Naslund. His goal scoring has really dropped off the past few years, plus he's incredably soft. I mean, I'd take him over Forsberg if it came to that, but I'd really rather have someone else if there available.

Really though, I think it's too early to be thinking about trade deadline acquisitions right now anyways. I can't remember the last time Holland actually made a trade mid-season.

yah i was partially joking...i just said it because he praised detroit's puck possession style of play. i would also take him before forsberg but i would take sundin before both of them :hehe:

and ya, i know holland wouldn't make a move yet, and i wouldnt either if i was him :thumbup:

EDIT: oh ya, swedes are pretty close to canadians in my book ;)

Edited by Canadian Wings

Guest Canadian Wings

I'd love to get Sundin, but we wont.

you never know, the way toronto is going right now...im pretty sure sundin has a NTC maybe a call from a coupal of his swedish friends (lids, Z, holmstrom) could persuade him to join detroit to win a cup...

if that was the case we wouldnt have to give up too much for him knowing he'd only want to come to detroit ;) hey, one can dream right? :P

I dont know why people are so adamant that Sundin is never going to leave. Sure, hes said time and time again that he wants to stay and wants to retire a Leaf, but he knows time is ticking. Hes competitive as hell and Im sure the state of the Leafs organization is weighing heavily on his mind. It was weird to see Forsberg leave the Avs and for Smyth to leave the Oilers, but it still happened.

If I were Sundin, and I wanted to win a cup with the Leafs, youre damn right Id make that public. Why? Beause Id want to show the organization that its a give and take. Im committing my talent/skill/leadership to you, so you return the favor by improving the team. The Leafs organization has not done that. But theres only so much time before Sundin becomes human and decides enoughs enough.

Im not saying Sundin is going to leave the team, but im sure hell start weighing the pros and cons as to whether or not a deadline trade would help him to win a cup, and also send a message to Leafs ownership that current management drove him out of town, and that hed willingly come back were it to be fixed.

Just listened to Naslund's comments on the Vancouver radio....not that I care for or about him, but was just doing his job as a captin pointing not only his concerns but the whole teams concern....

I really think that his statements were just his method of motivation...

I suspect the Canucks will have a good game tonight...I hope we are not taking them lightly...remember, the Canucks are the only team (that played at the Joe) that Detroit did not beat at home last year and actually took the season series...

I'd rather keep our cap space then pick up a bum like Naslund, though I agree, I'd rather have a good 20-30 goal scorer at this point rather then Filpula or Hudler.

If Naslund's a bum, then where does that put Hudler, Fillpulla, and Kopecky?