• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

Articles Regarding "The Call"

Rate this topic

Does anyone have any lonks to what the league has said about this? I haven't read or heard anything about it.

Yeah, basically it's tough titties cause the Wings are so good and have a huge lead on everybody.

O.K. I just made that up.

esteef

Maybe you guys could help me out.............

I want to be an NHL referee and I can't quite tell if #96 is interfering with a goalkeeper depicted in the image below:

YES/NO? It's awfully close.

homer.jpg

Edited by DaKineMaui

I want to be an NHL referee and I can't quite tell if #96 is interfering with a goalkeeper depicted in the image below:

yes.

next question

LOL!! I think he is.

yes.

next question

OK.......next. Before I go to my NHL REFEREE class this afternoon, in the below pic I should:

homer2.jpg

A) Call him for goaltender interference, and disallow the last 2 goals, and also two goals from last week?

B) Call Homer for goaltender interference and give him a game misconduct and a noogie?

C) Allow the opposing team's goalkeep to skate over and kick him in his mouth?

D) Automatic 2 million game suspension?

EDIT E) Skate over and rooster tail him in the face, and kick him in the nuts - per three posts down there. thank you wingsfan75

I'm trying to learn.

aloha

Edited by DaKineMaui

homer.jpg

NO.....he is on our side of the blueline.

THAT was a funny caption....

OK.......next. Before I go to my NHL REFEREE class this afternoon, in the below pic I should:

A) Call him for goaltender interference, and disallow the last 2 goals, and also two goals from last week?

B) Call Homer for goaltender interference and give him a game misconduct and a noogie?

I'm trying to learn.

aloha

I truly believe that A is the only fair thing to do in this case. Plus, while he's laying on the ice you should shower him with snow in the face and kick him in the nads. (That's pretty much what it feels like to us fans when those types of things happen)

Rember a few years ago when the league had a hard-on for players being in the crease and they were disalowing goals left and right? Does anyone remember if they were going to instant replay on the calls back then?

When they made the no goal call on the ice I was fully expecting them to go to the boys in Toronto for a review. Seems to me that these situations should be treated the same way as goals scored with questions of whether they were hit with a high stick or not --> go to the review.

Rember a few years ago when the league had a hard-on for players being in the crease and they were disalowing goals left and right? Does anyone remember if they were going to instant replay on the calls back then?

When they made the no goal call on the ice I was fully expecting them to go to the boys in Toronto for a review. Seems to me that these situations should be treated the same way as goals scored with questions of whether they were hit with a high stick or not --> go to the review.

Yep, thats how they reviewed the goals, they would go and see, and then watch it in slow mo.. and then agree or disallow the goal...

I wouldn't mind if they started doing that again, along with making sure they GET THE DANG CALLS RIGHT

This may sound completely stupid, but... does anyone know where one could go to either mail Bettmen, or even yet, the NHL officials advisory board / advisors? Can we get our voices heard about getting some better talent out there on the ice?

This is in response to the prior posting if the league had said anything. It isn't the league but it is a quote from Stephen Walkom, Director of Officiating:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...musa/index.html

o NBC, the network that carries the NHL in the United States that you don't need a Sherpa to find, is Peacock proud of its new flex scheduling. That's a fabulous way to spin that it has dropped regional games -- that were siphoning off the bottom line -- in favor of a single national game.

The question, forgetting any motives for NBC's munificence, is: if the network can have the best game, can the NHL have "flex" referees.

Chris Rooney and Dan O'Halloran were entrusted with the Ducks - Red Wings game in Detroit on Sunday, a match that the network homed in on after immediately bailing on Penguins - Flyers as soon as Sidney Crosby sprained his ankle. Good call.

NBC got everything it wanted: a stirring 3-2 Ducks win in a game redolent of the playoffs in front of a full house, finally, at Joe Louis Arena. Detroit, which had been laying in the weeds during the week, dropping games to lowly Los Angeles and losing in overtime in Toronto in obvious anticipation of the Anaheim match, came hard at the Ducks. Pugnacious Anaheim pushed back as always (even though Ducks fighter George Parros must be more judicious in picking his time to scrap because fights can kill momentum as much as they can spark it.)

Unfortunately, Rooney and O'Halloran didn't seem up to the challenge. O'Halloran waved off Nick Lidstrom's apparent tying goal with 41 seconds left because teammate Tomas Holmstrom supposedly interfered with Ducks goalie J-S Giguère. Now, Holmstrom was born with a GPS in his cerebellum. He almost never puts his skates in the blue paint of the crease. Nor did he do it this time. According to replays, he didn't jostle the goalie, either.

O'Halloran blew the whistle and made one of those "incidental contact" decisions, the single most vexing option in the rulebook. (Note to NHL: If there is truly goalie interference, call the two-minute minor and disallow the goal. If it isn't, then let them play. The "incidental contact" rule is absurd.)

In a league that is contemplating all kinds of out-of-the-box changes to increase goal scoring, a ref took away what appeared to be a perfectly legitimate goal -- two, in fact, counting the one that would have been scored in overtime or awarded for the penalty shootout.

There were less egregious examples of misjudgment -- Anaheim's Chris Kunitz escaped punishment for punching Mikael Samuelsson -- but NBC analysts Ed Olczyk and Pierre McGuire, neither of whom are known as ref bashers, were tough on the striped shirts. In a post-game email to On the Fly, Stephen Walkom, director of officiating, wrote that both O'Halloran and Rooney "have worked well" this season and that the call on Lidstrom's disallowed goal "made in real time demonstrated real focus and was truly an exceptional call."Everyone should have a boss as loyal as Walkom.

Anyway, while Rooney and O'Halloran might be top tier officials this season, the NHL should settle for nothing less than its top two referees for the game of the week. That, of course, doesn't preclude an officiating misstep -- or "an exceptional call" if you believe the NHL gospel -- but it gives NBC and the league their best chance of the refs not becoming part of the national story.

This may sound completely stupid, but... does anyone know where one could go to either mail Bettmen, or even yet, the NHL officials advisory board / advisors? Can we get our voices heard about getting some better talent out there on the ice?

I attempted to find that info once before and didn't find a damn thing. They just don't want a fans opinion I guess.

My response to the above post, WTF even in slo-mo you can see that Guigere drew the contact puposefully. I guess if you are blind you are blind and that goes from the bottom tier refs all the way to the top tier refs.

Edited by wingsfan75

we got kicked in the nuts guys, take it in stride! It is not the first time and will not be the last time a goal is waived off cause of Holmstrom. Bottom line is Players don't determine games anymore, refs do.

I forget what day of the week it happens because I'm always at work when it airs, but Bettman does a call-in show on XM where he actually takes calls from people and answers questions. I'm fairly certain they are still doing the show. However, if asked I'd expect him to skirt around it. I don't say that in a bad way...it's his job not to directly and publicly criticize his officials. But it might feel good to bring up the issue and see what it says.

A link with the original press release regarding the show:

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=p...s&item=1533

I forget what day of the week it happens because I'm always at work when it airs, but Bettman does a call-in show on XM where he actually takes calls from people and answers questions. I'm fairly certain they are still doing the show. However, if asked I'd expect him to skirt around it. I don't say that in a bad way...it's his job not to directly and publicly criticize his officials. But it might feel good to bring up the issue and see what it says.

A link with the original press release regarding the show:

http://xmradio.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=p...s&item=1533

It's on Thursdays, from either 3pm-6pm or 4pm-6pm, and it's live and they prescreen you a bit.... ask what you're calling about, but it is none the less live.

Don't worry, he won't hurt us in the playoffs: Anaheim will hurt us. Aside from that call, Detroit played horrible at times. Too much fancy stick handling and not enough shooting.

Good point! Yes, the call was horrible and we lost but it´s even worse seeing those guys flying into our goalie again. Remember last year? How often did they bump Hasek? Anaheim loves to play on the edge and to cross the line. Thats the way they play and part of their success. OUR problem is that we don´t respond in the right way. as long as our defensemen are just watching ... and our forward don´t start attack the other team´s goalie ...

Samuelsson went off with Kunitz for nothing. It would have been better for him to throw a punch. The little mix-up at the end with Franzen and Pronger was ridiculous. What was Franzen trying to do? I don´t think this was a "message". Did you see the immediate reaction of the Anaheim players?

It´s been a great season so far but it will be difficult playoffs if everybody can take liberties at our players,

Kudos to Michael Farber for telling it like it is. I'm glad somebody did, because I'm still red hot about that call.

I can't believe that Walkom thought it was an "exceptional call".

Then again, yes I can. Walkom's been anti-Wings for as long as I can remember.

homer2.jpg

EDIT E) Skate over and rooster tail him in the face, and kick him in the nuts - per three posts down there. thank you wingsfan75

I'm trying to learn.

aloha

The answer is F) All of the above. He should be punished for interfering like that. <_<