• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
96warrior

Maltby out; Abdelkader gets tryout contract

Rate this topic

Abdelkader was the Red Wings' second-round draft pick in 2005 and by coming to Detroit on a one-game amateur tryout, he's foregoing the rest of his eligibility at Michigan State.

Goodbye 09 Line. Word on the street is Kennedy is gone too. He is property of Buffalo.

Once Justin signs any contract his NCAA eligibility is gone.I'm glad he'll be playing.Hell I'd like to see them bring Helm back up and put Hartigan in the seats.

I'm all for that. As a Michigan Wolverine hockey fan, I've seen my team play against Abdelkader a lot--and he looks impressive. It will be interesting to see how well he does if he plays tonight.

That said, I feel like another year in the competitive ccha would have done him well. Kevin Porter did that to improve his all around game, and he is getting rewarded now. It would have been nice to see Abdelkader follow in the same fashion. But, who am I to tell a 21 year old kid to not take the money?

Abdelkader can refine his skills in Grand Rapids next season.Higher skill level and more games for him to play.

Sweet! We haven't had anyone to take consistently dumb penalties since Lapointe left!

He'll be a pretty good player if he can tone it down a little. Can't have him taking a penalty every single game like he did at MSU (41 minors in 42 games). I appreciate his physicality and his hustle, but he has to stop being a dumbass. He took a lot of BAD penalties at MSU. Can't do that in the Show.

Guest nutz2u
Sweet! We haven't had anyone to take consistently dumb penalties since Lapointe left!

He'll be a pretty good player if he can tone it down a little. Can't have him taking a penalty every single game like he did at MSU (41 minors in 42 games). I appreciate his physicality and his hustle, but he has to stop being a dumbass. He took a lot of BAD penalties at MSU. Can't do that in the Show.

Lol LaPointe was my sisters favorite player. I said, "21 players to pick from so how in hell can you pick the dumbest one in the bunch." Then, lo and behold I find out there is someone more stupid :scared: cuz they were willing to pay him 5M a year to take stupid penalties.

Guest CaliWingsNut
I don't really understand this move but I'm excited to see him play.

I have a feeling that he has decided that the MSU '09 team is not going to be a contender. As with most college sports, if the team isn't doing much, then the players aren't going far. He's banking on his current success. Grand Rapids would be great for him next year.

I'm interested to see him play tonight if he does, but I HIGHLY doubt that he'll be any sort of star player. Going from college hockey to the NHL is quite different than being called up from GR.

Abedelkaker needs to be signed with that performance and Kopecky possibly being hurt.

Only thing I saw wrong with him is his cycling down low in the corner, which is just a system thing he will figure out with a chance to become comfortable.

Even now, he points out he missed a block shot but thinks he did well. I like it.

good win, but Kopecky looks like he tore an ACL or something...

I pray for him, but kinda don't expect to see him again this year.

A real shame because he has been working his ass off to contribute and provided some of that much sought out physicality.

Guest Foiled_Up

I would love to see a

Kopecky-Abdelkader-Drake line

3 players who crash and bang, and arent lost when it comes to handling the puck IE Downey McCarty and half the time Hartigan.

Considering J-A is from Muskegon and im from Muskegon, I got a little homer-ism going, but i think Abdelkader could easily take Hudlers 2nd line minutes for Playoffs.

I was impressed with Abdelkader's play yesterday. He looked like he fit right in, and ALMOST had a goal. When Babs put that line out there with less than 2 minutes to go, I was a little nervous, but they did a great job.

I was impressed with Abdelkader's play yesterday. He looked like he fit right in, and ALMOST had a goal. When Babs put that line out there with less than 2 minutes to go, I was a little nervous, but they did a great job.

Yeah, I thought he looked really good too and got some of the rare cheers for his hits and tenacity.

On a side note, I think the McCarty experiment is over. He took part of the warm-up but wasn't used for the game.

If guys like Hartigan, Downy and now a rookie get more looks than him, he's done with the Wings.

Edited by Hank

The kid looked great last night. I don't know if he's ready for Stanley Cup Playoff intensity though. McCarty will be in the lineup Sunday. He'll ultimately be on the playoff roster as well. It's not like he's hurt the team in any way being out there.

The kid looked great last night. I don't know if he's ready for Stanley Cup Playoff intensity though. McCarty will be in the lineup Sunday. He'll ultimately be on the playoff roster as well. It's not like he's hurt the team in any way being out there.

Nope, but I don't think you can say that he's helped either. He's been very beige.

If you're going to be a 4-minute player you need to do something with those 4 minutes. McCarty doesn't have that capability anymore. Hope I'm proven wrong though.

I grew up playing Muskegon Chiefs hockey with this kid. This is nothing short of crazy for me to watch.

I also know the Abdelkader's. Justin is a bit younger than me but I know the family. It goes without saying I'm thrilled for him and his family. It was nothing short of surreal watching him play last night.

Being a Muskegon native it's nice to finally have a legit hometown kid make it to the NHL as well. :thumbup: