• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mike Mann

Timeouts? Why aren't they used in Hockey?

Rate this topic

So one of the most frustrating things to me watching is how little coaches use timeouts in hockey.

Bab's got heavily praised for doign this last game to settle things down. I'm just always confused as to why this is not used more often?

It's such a strategic move in basketball and the tempo can be very similar, I;m always thinking..man we should take a timeout. Settle the game, bring everyone in and get their heads back into. Instead, it always looks like we just roll with the momentum and hope the pace changes in our favor.

Give you a great example - last night calgary vs san jose. 3 goals in the first 3 minutes. I totally would have called a timeout to settle things down. Turns out the didn't need to but still...surprise it wasn't used. Tonight, why not call a timeout after the tie-goal? Make sure everyone is refocused and get Dom to shake off his nerves?

How many timeouts do you get? Is that the issue? Are they holding them in their back pocket for some unforseen emergency? I just don't get it.

Anyone else feel this way???

So one of the most frustrating things to me watching is how little coaches use timeouts in hockey.

Bab's got heavily praised for doign this last game to settle things down. I'm just always confused as to why this is not used more often?

It's such a strategic move in basketball and the tempo can be very similar, I;m always thinking..man we should take a timeout. Settle the game, bring everyone in and get their heads back into. Instead, it always looks like we just roll with the momentum and hope the pace changes in our favor.

Give you a great example - last night calgary vs san jose. 3 goals in the first 3 minutes. I totally would have called a timeout to settle things down. Turns out the didn't need to but still...surprise it wasn't used. Tonight, why not call a timeout after the tie-goal? Make sure everyone is refocused and get Dom to shake off his nerves?

How many timeouts do you get? Is that the issue? Are they holding them in their back pocket for some unforseen emergency? I just don't get it.

Anyone else feel this way???

Wings needed more than a timeout to save them tonight

Wings needed more than a timeout to save them tonight

I think I agree with that to a certain point, but I watched the game and go - we weren't playing great, the nashville crowd was just electric when nashville created *anything*, there was a momentum shift at certain points - why not use it? It's the 3rd period, you can loose grasp of the game...burn the timeout.

As a side note I didn't realize they only got one. But still....

I think I agree with that to a certain point, but I watched the game and go - we weren't playing great, the nashville crowd was just electric when nashville created *anything*, there was a momentum shift at certain points - why not use it? It's the 3rd period, you can loose grasp of the game...burn the timeout.

As a side note I didn't realize they only got one. But still....

And you don't get any extras in overtime.

Guest ForeChecK

wings didn't loose because of time management they lost because they went soft.

AND - its only 30 seconds long. AND there are a bunch of regularly scheduled TV timeouts which last at least 1 minute.

Timeouts are best saved for sketching that one play on a key faceoff in the offensive or defensive zone in the last minute of a game.

NBA coaches have 4523458234 timeouts (and generally use them all in the last 30 seconds) whereas in the nhl you only have one. So you save it only for when you really need it. Game two we really did, but in this one I don't think we did as much.

You're wrong. NBA coaches get 4523458235 timeouts.

And there's nothing better than to see them use up all of them in the last 15 seconds. Even when a team is down by 24 points. Nothing says excitement like thousands of stoppages in play in the last minute of a game.

I'm glad the NHL only has one timeout per team, per game. It's a transition game. I'm even happier that they don't allow you to call a timeout in the middle of play. Unlike in the NBA, you can't yell "FREEZE!" when you're being manhandled in the corner or things aren't going your way in the offensive zone.

AND - its only 30 seconds long. AND there are a bunch of regularly scheduled TV timeouts which last at least 1 minute.

Timeouts are best saved for sketching that one play on a key faceoff in the offensive or defensive zone in the last minute of a game.

What he said. This game lends itself to not needing timeouts anyway. In basketball, you substitute way less often and it's never whole units, so you call a timeout when you want to discuss something with the people on the floor. In hockey, you want to discuss something with a particular unit, wait 30 seconds and the shift will be over.

wings didn't loose because of time management they lost because they went soft.

:thumbup:

I'm still waiting for the team that owned Calgary physically last spring to show up this year.

I think we need to face the fact that to get this team to play physical you have to stay on them all the time. It's simply not in our DNA to play gritty or abrasive.

If we don't end up winning the Cup and this is the reason, the Wings need to change up their strategy somewhat. Transplant players like Sammuelson and Lebda for bigger, stronger, nastier guys.

Dealing Filpulla for Milan Lucic would also be a good start. Hey! It worked in NHL08, surely it will translate into real life. ;)

:thumbup:

I'm still waiting for the team that owned Calgary physically last spring to show up this year.

I think we need to face the fact that to get this team to play physical you have to stay on them all the time. It's simply not in our DNA to play gritty or abrasive.

If we don't end up winning the Cup and this is the reason, the Wings need to change up their strategy somewhat. Transplant players like Sammuelson and Lebda for bigger, stronger, nastier guys.

Dealing Filpulla for Milan Lucic would also be a good start. Hey! It worked in NHL08, surely it will translate into real life. ;)

Hey when you made that trade did they show a cut scene of me wetting my pants of the deal!!!!

Because that would be what happened if the Wings ever found a way to get Lucic!

The way the players talk about him, Savard has mad man love for this guy, can you blame him, he scored a really nice top shelf goal last game, was hitting, creating turnovers.

The reason I bumped the man I love this kid thread!

Hey when you made that trade did they show a cut scene of me wetting my pants of the deal!!!!

Because that would be what happened if the Wings ever found a way to get Lucic!

The way the players talk about him, Savard has mad man love for this guy, can you blame him, he scored a really nice top shelf goal last game, was hitting, creating turnovers.

The reason I bumped the man I love this kid thread!

Are you kidding me? I wetted myself when I made the deal in NHL08!!!

I loved Game 3 in that Mtl-Bos series. Lucic was all over the place hitting everything in site. And that goal he scored??? PURE goal scorers hands.

And I don't blame Savard for having man love for Lucic. This kid is a pure throw back to old-time hockey. He does everything!

I have a hard time believing that if you substituted Lucic for Filpulla our team would look and play a lot differently. Players like him and the way they play are infectious to a team. It's one thing for a plumber like Drake or McCarty to lay out hits, it's an entirely different thing when a top 6 forward does it AND scores. Zetts and Dats would feel 8 feet tall with him riding shotgun.

Are you kidding me? I wetted myself when I made the deal in NHL08!!!

I loved Game 3 in that Mtl-Bos series. Lucic was all over the place hitting everything in site. And that goal he scored??? PURE goal scorers hands.

And I don't blame Savard for having man love for Lucic. This kid is a pure throw back to old-time hockey. He does everything!

I have a hard time believing that if you substituted Lucic for Filpulla our team would look and play a lot differently. Players like him and the way they play are infectious to a team. It's one thing for a plumber like Drake or McCarty to lay out hits, it's an entirely different thing when a top 6 forward does it AND scores. Zetts and Dats would feel 8 feet tall with him riding shotgun.

To me the best thing the B's could do with him is have him play with Savard and Bergereon, obviously not now but next year. Putting him with playmakers on the top line would, as you so succinctly put it, make Savard and Bergereon feel 8' tall and untouchable, because the second some one crossed the line with one of those two BAM!!!!!!

Lucic puts them in their place, this kid got into a fight with the flyers precisely 0 seconds into a game. Opening puck drop, boom he is throwing down. But like you said he also has the hands of a finisher, he makes decent passes, finds open ice very well, has no fear, none whatsoever he will fight whomever is in front of him, he will bang in the corners with anyone, and he is only 19, that deserves repeating, he is 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Opie

To me the best thing the B's could do with him is have him play with Savard and Bergereon, obviously not now but next year. Putting him with playmakers on the top line would, as you so succinctly put it, make Savard and Bergereon feel 8' tall and untouchable, because the second some one crossed the line with one of those two BAM!!!!!!

Lucic puts them in their place, this kid got into a fight with the flyers precisely 0 seconds into a game. Opening puck drop, boom he is throwing down. But like you said he also has the hands of a finisher, he makes decent passes, finds open ice very well, has no fear, none whatsoever he will fight whomever is in front of him, he will bang in the corners with anyone, and he is only 19, that deserves repeating, he is 19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop it! You had me at 'BAM!!!'.

Holland, get Peter Chiarelli drunk and rape him of Lucic!

It is very funny that when i saw the title of this thread RIGHT AWAY i thought here is another non-hockey fan. And sure enough you don't even know how many time outs a team is given. Sure if Babs was given 235 time-outs like in the Association then hockey would go on and on and on with teams using them to give all stars breaks so they can stay out there for 55 - 60 minutes a game.

In Calgary Keenan DID NOT use a timeout because by him pulling Kiper it was the same as a timeout! Even more effective because the team wakes up and realizes here comes a cold goalie and we have to play better.

SHHHHH!

Sign him to an offer sheet when he is a RFA, but don't tell Boston about the plan.

This could be the next Penner to EDM!!!!

SHHHHH!

That's why we need to hire Bobby Clarke for a week to present the offer sheet. And then when we get him, we fire Clarke so he maintains his status as an ******* while the Wings keep theirs as a class organization.