• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mjlee

Zetterberg article

Rate this topic

Greetings from a new member :D I've been lurking for quite some time here, but figured it was time to say hi. I bring as a gift an article from Aftonbladet

I did a quick translation, though it's mostly fluff...

I play until I puke.

He’s been a star, but now Henrik Zetterberg is becoming a Detroit Red Wings' leader. “My responsibilities are bigger, on the ice these days I play until I puke. It’s wonderful” he says.

It is of course Nicklas Lidstrom who commands the Detroit Red Wings. But inasmuch as he’s got crown princes, Henrik Zetterberg is definitely one of them.

‘Zäta’ have become one of the most influential voices in the changing room. A so-called go-to-guy and one of the faces of the franchise. “The responsibilities are increasing every season,” says the assistant captain when Sportbladet met him getting ready for the second conference final game against the Dallas Stars tonight. “It’s a great honour and amazing fun. What’s especially fun is getting so much confidence on the ice (by the coach). Now, I play until I puke.”

This is fun?

“Oh yeah, it’s like a dream come true, that’s why you start playing hockey, to play as much as possible, and now I’m allowed to play in all kinds of situations. Both during power plays and killing off penalties.”

And you really find boxplay fun too?

“Oh yes absolutely. It’s different and it’s fun to mix-up my game doing different things.”

Undoubtedly it seems to work, as Detroit have won seven straight games during the play-offs, and during the first game in the conference final on Thursday against Dallas looked pretty much inmovable.

“We’ve matured as a team and I think that’s because of us going as far as we did last year,” Henrik says. “It was the first time Frasse (Mule), Samuelsson, Cleary, Huddler, Filppula and I myself made it that deep into the playoffs. We’ve been able to use that experience to take the next step and become even better.”

Dallas became aware of just how much better during the first game of the series that will determine who’ll play the Stanley Cup finals this year. The Swede team from Texas didn’t stand much of a chance.

“But we had a really great start and after two early power play goals it was definitely easier for us to keep them outside our own zone,” ‘Hank’ says. “I’m sure it’ll be different tonight. They’ll probably change things, and we’ll just have to adjust.”

Before that though, the new leader of the Red Wings have to get through his before-the-game ritual. Because he’s superstitious. “Well, maybe not as superstitious as Franzen or Homer, but sure, there’s some stuff I do, but most times I forget some and then I have to think of something new to do.”

Like what?

“Hmm, I really don’t think you should talk about it, but there’s one thing I’ve been doing ever since I played for Timrå,” says ‘Zäta’ and scratches his play-off beard. A beard one cannot help but wonder what Emma thinks about.

“Hahaha, she has no problem with it, but then she’s pretty used to it. There are not many days of the year that I don’t have a beard.”

Welcome and thank you for the article and translation.

I would be interested in knowing what some of those superstitions that he and Homer and Mule have. Whatever they are, they are sure working.

I can't help but be curious as to how all you Swedes know english..

Better primary schooling that places a proper focus on foreign culture and language. I went through Michigan public schooling and had to wait until I got to college to start picking up a second language. By comparison, Fabian Brunnstrom came to the USA for the first time at age 23 and spoke excellent english during his interviews without hesitation.

I can't help but be curious as to how all you Swedes know english..

English is taught in Swedish schools from grade 3 (a second language usually French or Spanish or German is added in grade 6). Furthermore, nothing is dubbed in Sweden only subtitled and as English language shows dominate Swedish television, Swedish kids grow up listening to English on the telly, English lyrics on the radio and going to English language movies. Consequently most younger Swedes speak English more or less fluently - albeit not as well as some think they do ;) - although you can usually hear if someone's Swedish from the way we pronounce W and V. I also lived in Kenya and the UK for almost ten years, so am more or less bilingual if 'polluted' into spelling British not American. :P

Cheers,

MJ

PS. I cannot believe that Homer has lived in the US as many years as he's done, his English is atrocious!

English is taught in Swedish schools from grade 3 (a second language usually French or Spanish or German is added in grade 6). Furthermore, nothing is dubbed in Sweden only subtitled and as English language shows dominate Swedish television, Swedish kids grow up listening to English on the telly, English lyrics on the radio and going to English language movies. Consequently most younger Swedes speak English more or less fluently - albeit not as well as some think they do ;) - although you can usually hear if someone's Swedish from the way we pronounce W and V. I also lived in Kenya and the UK for almost ten years, so am more or less bilingual if 'polluted' into spelling British not American. :P

Cheers,

MJ

PS. I cannot believe that Homer has lived in the US as many years as he's done, his English is atrocious!

Hey, he's Homer!!! He always get's a by. Besides he says that all these Swedes on the team don't help. If I were the other Swedes I wouldn't speak to him unless he spoke English. So when he starts talking in Swedish to them, I'd give him that dumb, I don't-understand-your-language look :yowza:

Alot of the world learns English almost from birth. It is the language of business and politics. There just isnt one other particular language thats important enough to teach in the schools of English speaking countries. Learn Russian and your helpless in France or Italy or Spain. But learn English and chances are where ever you go in those countries you will find someone who you are able to converse with.

I appreciate the article and translation and welcome aboard.

Edited by Dawgs