• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

I Miss Mule

Rate this topic

Well, 2 games dropped and 2 goals total...

I miss Johan Franzen. I don't care what people say, he is a "playoffs power forward." What is a playoffs power forward? A big body that drives the net, has soft hands, doesn't take stupid penalties, and finishes his plays. He is a HUGE missing piece against this physical Dallas team.

No one is driving the net and creating scoring chances. No one is standing in front of the net on the second PP unit. No one cuts in from the circles and puts fear into Turco. No one on the second line is garnishing the attention of the defensive lines and defenders on the Stars, freeing up the other players on his line.

I miss The Mule. Is there any updates on him? When can he skate again? Will he be available for a potential Game 7?

Edited by Wings_Dynasty

Yeah and someone beside Homer has to stand in and get hacked. Good to see Cleary taking some initiative and doing some screening. Turco is just hacking the crap out of Homer and nothing is being called. Well nothing until Turco "can't move his stick"

Mule should be playing now. Doctors have ruled out anything really serious and cleared him for work outs, so he should be back in the game. I don't care if his headaches haven't gone away yet, he should play through them. I know everyone is gunna go crazy at this and say things like:

"His health is way more important than hockey"

I agree, but this issue has been taken care of. He's seen doctors, had 2 MRIs, nothing is there. These are headaches, nothing else.

"Doctors are telling him not to play yet so he should listen to them"

Doctors will be extra cautious to cover their own butts. Do you think Yzerman's Orthopedist cleared him to play on his bum knee? Do you think Crosby's pediatrist was fine with him playing on a broken foot? There is a time when matter need to b e taken into your own hands, when there is almost no risk, which is the case here since all serious stuff has been ruled out.

Bottom line, it is ridiculous that Franzen isn't playing, he should just lie and say his headaches are gone, and if he doesn't return, and we don't win the cup, I will never forgive Red Wings management for holding him out for no reason.

Usually it's not up to the league to determine protocol on injuries, even head injuries. It's typically up to the discretion of the medical staff, specifically the team physician. Our team physician's protocol states that an athlete goes from non-contact to limited contact to full contact and if any symptoms (yes, this includes a headache) return then the process starts over and you once again have to wait until the athlete has no symptoms before he can participate again. That's just my .02, other physicians might have differing protocol.

Mule should be playing now. Doctors have ruled out anything really serious and cleared him for work outs, so he should be back in the game. I don't care if his headaches haven't gone away yet, he should play through them. I know everyone is gunna go crazy at this and say things like:

"His health is way more important than hockey"

I agree, but this issue has been taken care of. He's seen doctors, had 2 MRIs, nothing is there. These are headaches, nothing else.

"Doctors are telling him not to play yet so he should listen to them"

Doctors will be extra cautious to cover their own butts. Do you think Yzerman's Orthopedist cleared him to play on his bum knee? Do you think Crosby's pediatrist was fine with him playing on a broken foot? There is a time when matter need to b e taken into your own hands, when there is almost no risk, which is the case here since all serious stuff has been ruled out.

Bottom line, it is ridiculous that Franzen isn't playing, he should just lie and say his headaches are gone, and if he doesn't return, and we don't win the cup, I will never forgive Red Wings management for holding him out for no reason.

So, you're a neurosurgeon then? Do you know what second impact syndrome is? That's when an athlete returns too quickly from a concussion, gets hit, and his brain swells instantaneously, killing him within minutes. There is nothing, and I repeat nothing, any medical personnel can do. There are no reports of people living through second impact syndrome. And you cannot diagnose second impact syndrome in advance, so that type of thing would not show up on a CAT scan or on an MRI. So, yes, apparently since you're the expert, the Red Wings physicians are just "covering their own butts," and not truly concerned about his health. So, I guess if it were your liability on the line and Franzen's LIFE on the line, then you could do whatever you wanted, clear him for whatever you wanted. Thank goodness it's not you making the decisions.

And just as a side note, most athletes know the dangers of playing with concussions, and I can guarantee Franzen has been informed of the possible consequences as well. Just as Yzerman was advised of the consequence of playing on his knee and just as Crosby was informed of the consequences of playing on his foot. And let me just say, neither of those injury were potential life-threatening situations.

Mickey said on the pregame today that Johan has had migranes in the past, so this could very well just be migraines and not a concussion. If thats the word then I would expect him in Game 6