• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
10 Minute Misconduct

Franzen update

Rate this topic

Johan Franzen considered making the trip to Dallas to see his teammates play the Stars in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals, but ultimately decided against it. That he seems to be over the headaches that pained him for some three weeks, and that he felt well enough to contemplate traveling, is a good indication Franzen, the Wings' leading goal scorer, may return during the Stanley Cup finals, which don't begin until Saturday. Franzen has not yet been cleared to practice.

"We believed that if we could win this round without the Mule, he'd be back for the next round," coach Mike Babcock said. "He played 10 days with this, you know, so you'd like him to be back. He'll be checked out. If he can go, he'll play. We'd sure love to have him obviously. He's a huge part of our team."

The persistent headaches that have bothered Johan Franzen for nearly three weeks have dissipated, according to his teammate and close friend, Niklas Kronwall.

"Most of it is gone -- pretty damn close, anyway," said Kronwall, who dropped by Franzen's house for a visit after Saturday's Game 5 in Detroit.

I'm not a doctor, Jim, but what I do know is this: every indication suggests that Franzen has had two MRI's, has been cleared to work out, and because Babcock's gone from, "He'll have to practice for a few days to get back into shape" to, "When he's cleared, he'll play," that suggests that Franzen's doing more than simply riding a stationary bicycle. The Detroit Free Press's Steve Schrader also noted that Franzen has had a history of migraines. Add in the fact that the Red Wings' medical staff is generally one of the most cautious in the NHL, and you've got my educated guess that there's something more than post-concussive symptoms going on here.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008/05/wh...ens_better.html

I completely agree.... I've said this for awhile now. I do not see Franzen playing another game this season. There must be something seriously wrong with him, because if it had just been concussion like symptoms they would have played him last night. He had already played the Colorado series with it so I don't buy the concussion like symptoms story. I really hope theres not something very wrong with him.

I completely agree.... I've said this for awhile now. I do not see Franzen playing another game this season. There must be something seriously wrong with him, because if it had just been concussion like symptoms they would have played him last night. He had already played the Colorado series with it so I don't buy the concussion like symptoms story. I really hope theres not something very wrong with him.

At the same time the writer suggests that he's doing more then just riding a bike. I actually think he'll be back for the finals. Also, if it was just was concussion like symptoms how would they have played him last night? Usually you have to be head ache free for a week to get clearance.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

I think it would all be better if we kept him in our thoughts, BUT, didn't rest our hopes and dreams on him coming back... at least this season.

Our guys can pick up the slack, we have several other stars to pick up the slack

I'm confused by the last quote. The writer seems to first be suggesting that Franzen's been working out more than we've been told, and then he conludes that there seems to be "more" going on then post-concussion symptoms. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't those two suggestions seem mutually exclusive?

lol ya that writer was just speculating everything i suppose. The thing that I think is weird is the fact that Franzen hasn't been interviewed much (if at all) you never see any pics of him at the wings games when they were in Detroit and you just dont hear much. I think the wings organization is trying to keep it quiet that hewill not be back this season and hopefully he can still play hockey.

I'm confused by the last quote. The writer seems to first be suggesting that Franzen's been working out more than we've been told, and then he conludes that there seems to be "more" going on then post-concussion symptoms. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't those two suggestions seem mutually exclusive?

Yah i dont really get thta myself. If you read everything from the link that's up there it sounds like there optimistic he'll be back.

If he's out for the season, they're probably not saying it because it would be too much of a boost for the opposition to hear their top scorer is out for good. If they say he's getting better, and is getting closer to the ice, the top scorer is still looming.

If he's out for the season, they're probably not saying it because it would be too much of a boost for the opposition to hear their top scorer is out for good. If they say he's getting better, and is getting closer to the ice, the top scorer is still looming.

I doubt that. If he was out they'd just say it so they wouldn't have to talk about it every day. It's already a boost that the other team knows he's not playing.

I hope Franzen plays. If we win, nobody will have the excuse that we didn't play a team at full strength... And if we lose, well, the Wings were the better team.

Here's to the Mule.

I'm fearing the same thing. This sounds to be something far more serious than a concussion or migraines.

MRI's have shown it's not concussions and migraines are treatable (if that weren't the case for Mule he would have missed a lot more time in the regular season).

Something tells me things aren't good. If that's the case, I couldn't care less about him playing hockey again. He needs to get healthy so he can live a normal life without the risk of dying on the ice.

He will play. This is do-or-die time. What are they saving him from? If we lose, he has the off-season to recover. If we win, he has the off-season to recover. They said they found nothing wrong with him so I don't see why he wouldn't play.

If he doesn't want to play because it is too painful...well then he has no heart.

He will play. This is do-or-die time. What are they saving him from? If we lose, he has the off-season to recover. If we win, he has the off-season to recover. They said they found nothing wrong with him so I don't see why he wouldn't play.

If he doesn't want to play because it is too painful...well then he has no heart.

You can't say he has no heart. Sometimes injuries just prevent you from performing at your best. If this is something that is going to hinder him as a player then he's better off not playing. Plus we really don't know whats wrong with him, so you can't say he has no heart - you can't feel his pain.

I'm fearing the same thing. This sounds to be something far more serious than a concussion or migraines.

MRI's have shown it's not concussions and migraines are treatable (if that weren't the case for Mule he would have missed a lot more time in the regular season).

Treatable, to a degree, but the damned things never really go away if you get them. You'll be fine for a couple weeks, then the you'll get your ass kicked the next week. Could also be something as simple of sinus problems, which I'm no stranger to... getting knocked around all over the place tends to make sinus headaches feel s***tier, medication or no.

I'm going to be optimistic and say it was just that, and that they were being cautious about a concussion. If it's something worse than that, I'm not sure what it'd be.

The author doesn't know what he's taking about. He spends the entire thing talking about how much better Franzen is getting, then says something more is going on?

And the statement before he declares something more is going on: "The Wings doctor's are usually the most cautious in the league" wouldn't that indicate that they are holding him back for nothing?

This is like a New York Times article. Spend an entire article setting something up, then with the last sentence, tear what you just wrote apart.

I'm thinking he'll be back. Like someone else said, you have to be headache free for a week. The article says he's headache free, so he's just biding time til he's cleared.

Maybe not back for Game 1, but he'll be back at some point in the series.

You can't say he has no heart. Sometimes injuries just prevent you from performing at your best. If this is something that is going to hinder him as a player then he's better off not playing. Plus we really don't know whats wrong with him, so you can't say he has no heart - you can't feel his pain.
He had two hat tricks and scored four game winning goals during his injury. I don't think it's hindering him.

As far as I can tell, Franzen should be ready for the start of the series. Why are people fretting?

Tru. Until I hear something definite otherwise, I'm assuming he's playing in the Finals. The is The Cup for Christ sakes!

Well I don't know what to think but I really hope he comes back. Not that I think we CAN'T win without him, but I think we need him way more in the Finals than we did for the other three series.

If he doesn't come back, the second line will really have to step up.

idiot, he has heart and would be playing if the docs would clear him. as for what they are saving him for..................its saving him from.....not for...

They are saving him from becoming Eric Lindross.....and countless ither young stars who let their heart put them in position to ruin their head.

I think after Fischer's incident, the Wings will be very careful and cautious on when to have his return.

We can win without him, but it will make it easier if he was playing.

Get well Mule!