• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Any thoughts on who will be the next assistant coach?

Rate this topic

We lost our offensive assistant coach, we should be looking at someone who specializes in that.

Yeah, well both of them were forwards :lol:

It would be kinda cool to see them there..but I am pretty sure Kenny will do the best move.

I understand sentimentality and respecting former and current players as being knowlegeable about the game but personally I'd prefer someone with no ties to the current players and preferably with 6-7 years behind the bench including some significant playoff success at whatever level they coached.

I think it will be someone highly reguarded from the ahl. But me I would like to see Stevie Y. But that is probably just wishfull thinking on my part.

I think there is really only one current AHL head coach would be NHL ready. Manoitoba's Scott Arniel probably is one of the better current coaches in the AHL.

I wouldn't think that either one of the Griffins coaches is ready to come up. Mike Stothers or Jim Paek is not ready to come up as a coach of the Red Wings.

The only other possibilities from the AHL is Todd Richards of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (I know) and Dan Bylsma the Assistant at WBS.

Richards' brother Travis is the only Griffin player to have his number retired, he's been a successful head coach at Milwaukee and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He's won as a player.

I think Cheli laid the ground work for taking the coaching job, when he said he wants to be here no matter what his role.

I think he will be the next coach.

No he won't.

He wants to play next year, and when he said he wanted to be here no matter what his role is, he was referring to playing.

Stevie Y!!!!!!!!!

He is probably the only ex-star player humble enough to admit that he needs to be an assistant before becoming a head coach!!!

Stevie has always known his role (thanks Rock) and I think he could actually work under Babs and do it without causing more turmoil than good!

However I still really see him becoming the GM after Holland, but I wouldn't mind seeing him.

...some perfect choices. Anyhow, who's available? Who would want to step down/up to be an Associate? Oh well, here are my choices (in no particular order)

Igor Larionov

Gerard Spuddy Gallant

Chris Chelios

Larry Murphy

...yeah, I know, call me bias...

...do you think Quinneville would come here to be an associate? (did he get hired yet?)

...Someone mentioned Gretz (prolly as a joke) that would be cool, but isn't he part owner of the Yotes?

After watching Larry Murphy bow down and plant his lips on the Penguins collective asses during his work with the NHL Network during the finals. I have lost whatever respect I had for him. I wouldn't want him near the Wings.

My guess is that Red Berenson is in the mix. He did help out with the D at camp in Traverse City.

that would be awesome. even though my dream asst coach is larionov, i'd be almost as happy to see berenson up there.

I understand sentimentality and respecting former and current players as being knowlegeable about the game but personally I'd prefer someone with no ties to the current players and preferably with 6-7 years behind the bench including some significant playoff success at whatever level they coached.

i'm reading your words and i'm hearing 'marc crawford' and i'm thinking 'no no no no no no no no no no no no god no'.

coached 13 season, made playoffs 8 of them. has a gold medal, a stanley cup and a...(god it hurts to even say it) jack adams trophy under his belt.

i hate this man. and now i've gone and made myself worried.