• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hossa7.4

Versus camera work

Rate this topic

I turned on the Bruins v. Laughs game in the 3rd period and found the hockey difficult to watch becuase of the crazy camera work during the game.

I would say about 40% of the time the puck wansn't even in the field of view.

Other times when the Bruins would be skating the puck down the left wing side they would be so closely zoomed in you could only see literally 1/3 of the ice. The player would make a centering pass and you couldn't tell if or how many players were there in support of the play.

In general they are constantly zooming in and out and of course in the middle of something they'll change to a close-up shot and ruin the flow so you can't tell what's going on out there.

The camera was also unsteady like the cameraman had too much coffee as well.

why can't they just back off and show the flow of the game and how the play develops? Is it always like this on Versus? I was amazed at the poor production of the game. Also I notice that the volume all of sudden gets quiter and then louder and I'm constantly messing with my remote. It was like that last year as well.

Anybody else notice this? Do you also find it annoying?

I turned on the Bruins v. Laughs game in the 3rd period and found the hockey difficult to watch becuase of the crazy camera work during the game.

Other times when the Bruins would be skating the puck down the left wing side they would be so closely zoomed in you could only see literally 1/3 of the ice. The player would make a centering pass and you couldn't tell if or how many players were there in support of the play.

In general they are constantly zooming in and out and of course in the middle of something they'll change to a close-up shot and ruin the flow so you can't tell what's going on out there.

why can't they just back off and show the flow of the game and how the play develops? Is it always like this on Versus? I was amazed at the poor production of the game. Also I notice that the volume all of sudden gets quiter and then louder and I'm constantly messing with my remote. It was like that last year as well.

fortunately, i dont have to deal with that anymore, hello center ice!!

Poor camera work is one of the main reasons why hockey is the second class citizen of professional sports. The newcommer who tries to watch it on TV cant get excited about watching a bunch of players who look like ants crawling around chasing a puck that cant be seen due to the wide angle shot. I have noticed that certain cameramen (or camerwomen) are way better than others in how they film the game. ONe of the networks broadcast a game from right behind the glass once and I liked it a lot because you could see the ice fly on the hockey stops and actually get an appreciation for the work that goes on along the boards.

The league really needs to promote better camera work. Shooting the wide angle that shows half the ice may show the whole field of play but it greatly reduces the quality of the viewing experience. There is a happy medium, which is met my having more cameras , and more closeups of the action along the boards and in front of the net, along with a judicious use of the wide angle to show the open ice passing game. Just my opinion, FWIW. Joe S

Guest Crymson

Versus has always been fine for me. Anaheim's camera angles, on the other hand, give me vertigo.

Edited by Crymson

I haven't noticed anything drastically bad on VS's end. For better/worse you got to expect some error/faulty viewing in terms of not seeing the puck all the time due to hockey being a typically fast sport. There'll be error like that in any sport Sometimes I have had trouble following a few plays watching football game's where my school played because they do a lot, and I mean A LOT of zone read plays on offense, basically the QB goes to hand the ball off to the RB but they delay for a few moments and "read" the defense, and it's difficult sometimes to tell who is carrying the ball. That play has certainly fooled the camera many times this season.

The only game where the camera angles have been brutal for fan viewing is the Anaheim game I think where it was just completely on-ice or ground view. Just about every goal scored I couldn't tell the puck itself went in, had to wait for player or fan reaction.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Versus has always been fine for me. Anaheim's camera angles, on the other hand, give me vertigo.

I agree. I watch with the Centre Ice package, and I think it was when the Wings were at Anaheim they were trying out an ice level camera for the neutral zone that drove me crazy. You couldn't see what was going on at all. It was high cameras at the ends, and then a view from the penalty box in between the blues. At least for other games Centre Ice this year sometimes has home and away coverage.

fortunately, i dont have to deal with that anymore, hello center ice!!

Just a side note. Just because you have Center Ice doesn't mean you are not forced to watch games on VS. I have Center Ice, for 4 years now, and last Tuesday the Red Wings vs Penguins was only on VS. So not really sure what you mean by your post. Back to the topic. Never had or have any real issues with VS coverage. Have a good one.

I think if they can make cars going around in a circle for 4 hours exciting, they can certainly develop some new technology to help people feel more "in the game". The NHL needs to update and refresh the way we see its sport.

Something to note... The networks often don't do the camera work. FSN doesn't operate the cameras for Wings games. They hire a local production company to show up with their hardware and operators. FSN provides the on-air talent, direction, and other non-technical staff. For simplicity sake, it's more than likely that VS uses the same production company that the regional Bruins broadcaster does.

I sat right next to the cameraman that sits right behind the "visitors" net last season and we talked shop before the game started. The production company that does the Wings games is named something like "Jones Productions". If you look at the credentials they wear, the company name is mentioned.

Edited by Gizmo

They NEVER show replays of the stuff i want to see. If there is a huge hit you wanna see dont expect a replay of it. If there is a penalty that looks weak and you want a second look you better have TIVO. They know some of the calls would make the league look awful so they dont replay them.

I'm pretty much bothered by everything "Versus".

Not me.

They show hockey. They show some college football, and usually a few games of my school each year. They show cage fighting which I'm not a die-hard fan of but I'll glance at before bedtime sometimes. They show sports movies that I like every now and then.

The network isn't that bad.