• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Burke signs 6 year deal with Leafs

Rate this topic

He's got a six year deal because it's going to take some time to get things back on track. I don't think he'll get impatient right away and he's got lots of job security in order to take things fairly slowly.

I honestly hope so. I am an obvious die-hard Wing fan, but I would really like to see the Leafs get turned around. The city and their fans deserve a better showing than what they have received in many years.

The Kaberle/Kubina watch is officially on, and teams could pay a high price, but who can afford rentals these days? Particularly a $5 million rental in Kubina? Seriously, what does a team gain with Pavel?

Anyway, teams pay heavily for good D because they are very very rare. Who leads the Leafs' defence next year with no Kaberle/Kubina? Schenn? Van Ryn? Finger? Ian White?

Tell me which one of these guys below makes you think "Now THERE's a guy to build our defence around!"

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?t...&status=ufa

Antropov is on pace for like 60-65 points and over 30 goals, somebody will pay up for that at the deadline for offensive depth in the playoffs. He's a big, strong guy that can play all three forward positions. A 2nd rounder isn't asking too much for him, in fact, it might not be asking enough.

Kubina's not a rental, he's got one more year left at $5 million. Not a bargain, but not bad considering what defencemen go for on the open market.

Schenn is the guy of the future, he's extremely solid. If Kaberle was to go for Jeff Carter & 1st round pick last year, he'll should go for something similar this year. He mentioned in training camp to leaving his options more open this year, so I'd say he'll probably waive his no-trade to go somewhere that he prefers.

They would be foolish to not try and land J-Bo this summer, doubt they'll get him, but he's worth a shot.

There's no way they'd leave the blueline with Schenn, Stralman and a few spare parts. Burke's always been known to build strong bluelines, so I don't think that's an area that he'll expose. I would think he'd probably look to the trade route to bolster the defence. I would be shocked if Kaberle AND Kubina got traded and there wasn't a solid young defenceman coming back the other way in one of the deals.

Again, it's a slow process. It would be foolish to assume that it can be turned around overnight.

Edited by MacK_Attack

I honestly hope so. I am an obvious die-hard Wing fan, but I would really like to see the Leafs get turned around. The city and their fans deserve a better showing than what they have received in many years.

I'd tend to agree with that. Though I normally can't stand Leafs fans, it would be good to get a good team back in Toronto to create that buzz the Leafs always give off.

Tell me which one of these guys below makes you think "Now THERE's a guy to build our defence around!"

Luke Schenn is obviously that guy. I can't believe that question was even asked.

Kinda off-topic, I wonder if the Leafs will pick up his little bro, Braydon? When's he eligible for the draft? This year or next? I hear he's very much on the ML radar.

Finally a GM that can do what he wants when he wants to do it.

Maybe for a while but as long as the same two boneheads are running MSLE no GM will ever have complete say and control in the day to day operations of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Mark my word there is no way Burke is still in Toronto after 4 years let alone 6 :!:

Yeah, you're right.

A GM with a Stanley Cup ring is such a step down from John Ferguson Jr.

He should hand over the ring to the GM who really built the team, Bryan Murray.

I 'd rather have ferguson, he only screwed up one team. Burke is a laughing stock ruins every team he goes to.

Oh well the laffs will remain the laffs.

And so begins the death of Canadian hockey as we know it.

I don't like Burke, but come on. Odds are, Burke will make this team more competitive than it's been in ages. Sure, they'll probably crash and burn after a few good seasons. But if you want to talk about ruining Canadian hockey, look at the piss-poor seasons the Leafs have been putting in for years and years and years now. That's how you really kill Canadian hockey.

Yeah, you're right.

A GM with a Stanley Cup ring is such a step down from John Ferguson Jr.

Well, if that was the only criteria, they could have probably gotten other one-Cup-wonders like Jay Feaster or Jim Rutherford for much cheaper (and yes, I know the Leafs HAD contacted Rutherford). :P

Maybe for a while but as long as the same two boneheads are running MSLE no GM will ever have complete say and control in the day to day operations of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Mark my word there is no way Burke is still in Toronto after 4 years let alone 6 :!:

Brian Burke would not be taking this job if he didn't have complete and final say in all hockey operations.

His contract is worded EXACTLY the same as Bryan Colangelo's.

it seems like people think Burke is the worst GM when he was with the ducks. But now that he is in toronto it seems like he is the best GM ever... i dunno thats what iam getting out of it... sure i think he was bad in ANA even with the cup.... But i dont think he suddenly change with Toronto.

no. I'm about thinking he will suck as much in Toronto as he did in Anaheim.

the only difference is that now TSN staff will need to burn some sun tan

and hide their brown noses from praising "NHL's best GM".

and the great news is that Dan Cloutier is at this moment available in UFA market

and the Leafs have plenty cap space to throw on him.

now seriously... this might turn out to be a good deal for the Leafs for next

3 seasons but let's not get to far ahead. let's get back to evaluating Burke

in say 5-6 years when he bails out from a mess in Toronto...

Poor poor Toronto. Time to get rid of skill and build the team to kill.

You must not know Leafs fans, there psychos, thats exactly the hockey they've always loved. Why some people will argue Clarke was the best power forward ever, and that Tucker was better then Sundin, and that Domi was a legend. They love rough hockey, Burke is the perfect fit.

You must not know Leafs fans, there psychos, thats exactly the hockey they've always loved. Why some people will argue Clarke was the best power forward ever, and that Tucker was better then Sundin, and that Domi was a legend. They love rough hockey, Burke is the perfect fit.

Wendel Clark is not the best power forward ever.

Darcy Tucker was never better than Sundin

Tie Domi is nothing but a tarnished, distant memory.

I gotta say, I love this thread even if it has turned to a bit of an attack Mack-Attack party.

I still can't wait to see who will take on Pavel Kubina at the trade deadline if the Leafs can move him.

Wendel Clark is not the best power forward ever.

Darcy Tucker was never better than Sundin

Tie Domi is nothing but a tarnished, distant memory.

Mack, your obviously not one of them :P. But from what I've seen of Leafs fans, the majority of them love rough hockey, and blue collar guys. I was just trying to make an example that Burke is a perfect fit, which you agree with.

Guest CaliWingsNut

My condolences to the Maple Leafs fan base...

Think we can have more articles about burke? I mean he's only the focus of 8 different articles on the front page of tsn. The picture of him on every hockey website is too small too.