• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MacK_Attack

Burke signs 6 year deal with Leafs

Rate this topic

"It's certainly headed in the right direction," Burke told TSN, "but it's not it done yet. I anticipate it will get done but it's not done."

"...the earliest the Leafs are expected to announce him as the new president and GM is on Saturday."

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=257272&lid...os=topStory_nhl

With only a few final details to be sorted out, none of which are viewed as deal-breakers, the deal is all but done.

The former Anaheim GM was forwarded a "term sheet" by the Leafs over the past 24 hours, which included acceptable clauses on the length of contract and compensation.

Theoretically, Burke could have signed a deal Sunday or Monday, but is now committed to stay in the Boston-area with his family through his daughter's bridal shower on Friday.

That sets the stage for the Leafs to introduce him as their new hockey czar on Saturday, with full coverage allotted to CBC's Hockey Night in Canada on a nation-wide basis that evening before and during the Leafs' home game against the Philadelphia Flyers, coincidentally the team for whom Burke once played as a minor-leaguer.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/543010

I'm excited to see what he does.... after yesterday, I'm itchin' for some more relatively significant moves :lol: I'm hoping he tries to make a huge splash at some point during the year (Like a Gaborik/Kovalchuk/Bouwmeester ;) )

I hate Burke and I think he has been incredibly over-rated, but this season I have grown the like the Leafs more than I ever have before... living in southern Ontario, there is a different aura in the air around playoff time when the Leafs are in... its something that's been missing the past 3 seasons... It feels weird that I feel like I want Burke and the Leafs to succeed..... But then again, I'll also be thoroughly entertained if Burke fails miserably and makes a bunch more bonehead moves :lol:

What do you think about it Mack_Attack? Good or bad?

Depends on what he wants to do right away. The "sources" often mentioned in the media claim that he wants to tear down the team even more than Fletcher did. If that's the case, it's a good thing.

Depends on what he wants to do right away. The "sources" often mentioned in the media claim that he wants to tear down the team even more than Fletcher did. If that's the case, it's a good thing.

Yea I think this will be a good thing for the Leafs. Hopefully the board and teacher's union stays out of his way.

It will be interesting at the very least to see what Burke does with the team.

Whatever it is, he'll be sure to get more credit for it than he deserves. Fletch just pulled off a great trade and Toronto has been playing harder than they have ion 3-4 years it seems.

I love how Burke jumps on board once the Anaheim ship has sailed and Toronto is just getting up a full head of steam. What a ******* leech.

'tis a pity. I thought Toronto had hit rock bottom. Apparently there are still a few layers left of the Earth's crust to plummet through. :P

Burkie trading half the team & all their picks for Crosby,wouldn't that do the trick?

:lol:

Edited by FinRedWing

Details of his proposed contract:

- a six-year contract, which includes the balance of this season and five more.

- a salary of about $3 million (U.S.) per year.

- a bonus package that likely includes some form of signing bonus and performance bonuses tied primarily to playoff success.

- an autonomy clause that mirrors the one in the contract of Toronto Raptors' GM Bryan Colangelo.

I know the guy isn't popular among Wings fans, but I've always had a great deal of respect for him. I got the chance to meet him 2 weeks ago at a sports management conference in Toronto and he had some really interesting stuff to say. He has a good sense of humour too. A lot of people will say that he walked into the perfect situation, and I can understand why that would be said, but the team would not have won the Cup without the tweaking he did (heck, if Schneider hadn't broken his wrist and Kronwall hadn't broken his ass they probably wouldn't have won it anyway!).

He says what's on his mind, which can turn some people off but after meeting him and getting the chance to talk to him, I definitely have a new appreciation for him and how he does things. I am a law student and am hoping to work in the sports industry someday and he was very approachable and very happy to give advice to me and the other younger delegates at the conference. While I am not a big fan of the way the Leafs have run things in the past, I would like to see him turn the team into a contender. The Wings are and always will be my favourite team, but there is something special about the playoffs when the Leafs make it there.

3026496536_ab2359544f.jpg

This is a picture I had taken at the conference. It was a great experience, lots of player agents and other officials (Gary Bettman, Bryan Colangelo, Jimmy Devellano). It was probably the best event I've attended in my three years of law school. Burke was actually one of the co-organizers and hosted several of the panel discussions. The conference took place the day before he stepped down in Anaheim.

Nice, now watching the Leafs will be alot more fun. They should change the colors to Black and Blue, because that'll basically be the make-up of the team. Kaberle, Antropov, Blake, Pokahonsky, and Stralman are probably gone for picks and prospects, and goons of course.

Nice, now watching the Leafs will be alot more fun. They should change the colors to Black and Blue, because that'll basically be the make-up of the team. Kaberle, Antropov, Blake, Pokahonsky, and Stralman are probably gone for picks and prospects, and goons of course.

nope... he will just waive them.. why trade when you can waive them?