• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NC WINGS FAN

When will professional atheletes begin to feel the economic pinch....

Rate this topic

Given the state of the state of the economy, it is a no-brainer that people do not have the disposable income they had ten years ago to spend on such luxuries as attending sporting events. Like other businesses, it is bound to feel the pinch and have to cut costs.

How might the league handle this?

How much longer can player salaries and ticket prices continue to skyrocket when many businesses are cutting costs by laying off workers and/or backing out of sponsorships and season tickets etc.?

Might this result in another era where "Blue Collar" folks can attend without feeling so much as though they have been violated? That would be a positive for sure.

Given the state of the state of the economy, it is a no-brainer that people do not have the disposable income they had ten years ago to spend on such luxuries as attending sporting events. Like other businesses, it is bound to feel the pinch and have to cut costs.

How might the league handle this?

How much longer can player salaries and ticket prices continue to skyrocket when many businesses are cutting costs by laying off workers and/or backing out of sponsorships and season tickets etc.?

Might this result in another era where "Blue Collar" folks can attend without feeling so much as though they have been violated? That would be a positive for sure.

that's a good question. I will not be attending any games this year, much as it pains me to say so. It is simply not affordable.

I guess it depends on where the money comes from for the players' salaries, since it's not all from ticket sales.

that's a good question. I will not be attending any games this year, much as it pains me to say so. It is simply not affordable.

I guess it depends on where the money comes from for the players' salaries, since it's not all from ticket sales.

True but the player salaries are part of what drives the gate prices up along with the corporates who spend top dollar and make up a great deal of the empty seats in arenas like the Joe. At some point, companies like GM, will have to cut back and this would be one of the first things to go. What goes up must come down as it can't go up forever.

True but the player salaries are part of what drives the gate prices up along with the corporates who spend top dollar and make up a great deal of the empty seats in arenas like the Joe. At some point, companies like GM, will have to cut back and this would be one of the first things to go. What goes up must come down as it can't go up forever.

I've been saying that for years about most things, not just hockey players' salaries. Seems that it's coming true, faster than most of us would like. Companies like GM had better not do an "AIG" and buy hockey seats with the bailout they are pursuing as we speak in D.C.

The Big 3 is NOT getting bailed out. They are getting a LOAN. The banks got the bail out. That is not paid back. What I don't understand is why a service that pays VERY little in interest, charges exorbitant (sp?) fees can lose money and need federal help.

I wonder if they personally think they'll ever have to, with their million dollar salaries, endorsement deals and what not. Which is why I think we're all hoping that Z will remember where he came from and take a discount to stay here, remembering that he's still making tons more money per year than 99.9% of those who watch him play make. So many times have I thought of starting a thread just to rant on the selfishness of players demanding 6, 7, and 8 million per year (even if they "deserve" it like Crosby, Ovechkin, ect) who complain that even that isn't enough when their fans are struggling to pay for basic cable so they can watch their games on tv, let alone shell out hundreds to see the game in person.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

The Big 3 is NOT getting bailed out. They are getting a LOAN. The banks got the bail out. That is not paid back. What I don't understand is why a service that pays VERY little in interest, charges exorbitant (sp?) fees can lose money and need federal help.

Two words.... Legacy Costs. You then couple that with the facts that they built crap for 30+ years building a bad reputation in the process and then just expecting that people will buy them. Meanwhile the Japanese were building more fuel efficient, better quality, and more affordable cars and not having to deal with the unions and there you have it. Sorry to get off the topic of sports and hockey.

I wonder if they personally think they'll ever have to, with their million dollar salaries, endorsement deals and what not. Which is why I think we're all hoping that Z will remember where he came from and take a discount to stay here, remembering that he's still making tons more money per year than 99.9% of those who watch him play make. So many times have I thought of starting a thread just to rant on the selfishness of players demanding 6, 7, and 8 million per year (even if they "deserve" it like Crosby, Ovechkin, ect) who complain that even that isn't enough when their fans are struggling to pay for basic cable so they can watch their games on tv, let alone shell out hundreds to see the game in person.

I think hockey players will feel it the most given that they have very few endorsement as it is. If Z leaves, chances are, he will never be heard from again. Look what happened to that Federov guy. Where is he now? Columbus? A lot of these guys build a rap in Detroit, leave and fail to live up to the hype. It just goes to show that the Wings are the cream of the crop in terms of organizations. Sure, he could go to Toronto, Montreal, New York (Rangers), or maybe even Chicago but what are the odds of being that lucky?

And yeah what is another mil when you are already making 6 million? By then rich is rich is rich!!! Would your life be that much better/different if you were raking in 8 instead of 7 million? It's absurd!!!

I think hockey players will feel it the most given that they have very few endorsement as it is. If Z leaves, chances are, he will never be heard from again. Look what happened to that Federov guy. Where is he now? Columbus? A lot of these guys build a rap in Detroit, leave and fail to live up to the hype. It just goes to show that the Wings are the cream of the crop in terms of organizations. Sure, he could go to Toronto, Montreal, New York (Rangers), or maybe even Chicago but what are the odds of being that lucky?

And yeah what is another mil when you are already making 6 million? By then rich is rich is rich!!! Would your life be that much better/different if you were raking in 8 instead of 7 million? It's absurd!!!

Actually Washington.

And that last point is right on - what's the difference between making 6 and 7 million per year on a 4-5 year deal? It's not like you'd be able to spend it all anyways. Is there any way that Hossa could have spent $81 million over 9 years had he signed with the Oilers?

Guest Shoreline
Two words.... Legacy Costs. You then couple that with the facts that they built crap for 30+ years building a bad reputation in the process and then just expecting that people will buy them. Meanwhile the Japanese were building more fuel efficient, better quality, and more affordable cars and not having to deal with the unions and there you have it. Sorry to get off the topic of sports and hockey.

+1 +1 +1 :thumbup:

I'd say athletes feel the economic pinch when our currency gets inflated to the Robert Mugabe Zimbabwe era and a million dollars buys a gallon of milk.

Edited by Shoreline

When their contracts come up for renewal. If attendance, sponsorship, TV money and corporate income all go down then for sure players contracts will go down.

Guys like Datsyuk with their big, long-term contract are OK (Cap penalties for releasing a player with such a contract are brutal in the NHL, and you still have to pay him 2/3 of the value). The ones who will "suffer" are the Franzens of this world who've never made "OMG I never have to work again" money and are due to get their first "big" contract.

Guest DetroitBoy313

This is a cruel,cruel world people.It's every man for themselves.Hockey players are playing in the NHL for a reason,because they can do what MOST can't do and that is play at the PROFESSIONAL level.Most athletes if they are smart will NOT feel the economic pinch because they have money put away for a rainy day or they invest in other things.I go to work everyday and come home and I worry about what I gotta do to survive.I don't care about what's going on with the guy next door,even though I don't like to see anyone struggle.Would you turn down 6.7.8 MILLION dollars? I don't think so.If a player turns down 6 million dollars and goes to play for the other teams that offers him 8 million than obviously he wasn't dedicated to playing with the that club in the first place and all he cared about was money.Athletes have a job and get paid for what they do,yes some salaries are absolutely insane but that's just the way it is.

the only impact the players are going to feel in the their pocket book during years active is A) caused by their own play and B) the salary cap

if i can survive in a world between 30,000 a year (estimated to remain anonymous) they can surely survive in a world making up near 1,000,000 a year

Yeah, I could see the salary cap going down or at least not going up as much next year. The players, at least those at the top, will still get their money. I for one do not have a problem with it either. I know I will never make as much as the top pro hockey players but I don't begrudge them at all. They have a relatively short time frame in which to make money. And it is a damn hard job too. Sure, they are playing a game but they work their asses off, play through injuries, are away from their families for long stretches, they could be traded and forced to move at any time, and they could face a career ending injury on the next shift. They need to get as much as the can while they have the chance. In my career I am trying to get paid as much as I feel I am worth. As long as someone is willing to pay me my desired salary I am going to take it. And then I am going to work my ass off to try and earn more money. There is no reason a pro hockey player should be any different.

I don't know if I'd call it a pinch, but I think we're going to see a different FA market this summer, especially once you get past the the top-tier players. In summers past with the cap rising, teams have been able to give pay raises to their younger FA's or upgrade their rosters without having to get rid of other players. With the cap staying level, any team at or near the cap is going to have some tough choices to make ... just look at the situation we're in with Z, Hossa, Franzen, Hudler, Sammy, etc. There will be a bunch of FA's around the league looking for pay raises, but essentially no more money out there than what there is now. Team's will have to a lot more careful with where they spend their $ this year, and I'd be surprised to see any Jeff Finger contracts this year. (not that that wasn't a surprise last year :P )

Well, since Business Economics was my major in University I am very interested in these topics. I am a firm believer in theories such as those put out by Keynes and Smith that talk about the laws of supply & demand and the tail of the dragon. The market historically always corrects itself and under the salary cap system if revenues go down then salaries will soon follow.

If the businesses are feeling the pinch, could that lead to a time where the average fan can afford to attend? After all, they are what makes their world go-round, as much as they may hate to admit it. The corporates are only in it for the money while the fans have nothing to gain but more interpersonal reasons like enjoyment.

My point is that if the businesses back out, for now, then the owners must turn to the fans to make ends meet. Agree? Any possibility? ..... or am I oversimplifying things a bit?

Think of it this way, if the Wings sucked, ownership would have to lower the prices to entice more to attend...... unless of course you are Toronto or maybe anywhere else in Canada, but everywhere else, this is generally how it works. Is not the loss of money from endorsements and corporate spending kind of the same thing?

Guest CaliWingsNut

Easy to say when your not the one making the money, and watching your competitors make more $ when your beating them.

Easy to say when your not the one making the money, and watching your competitors make more $ when your beating them.

Yes but that may come at the cost of winning. Just ask Tony Amonte or Sergei Federov. They left for bigger contracts with worse teams and look where it got them. Why do you think so many have come to the Wings for less money? I can tell you why because their comes a point when rich is rich and they just want to win. When you have the wealth they have, what is another mil?

Guest nutz2u
Actually Washington.

And that last point is right on - what's the difference between making 6 and 7 million per year on a 4-5 year deal? It's not like you'd be able to spend it all anyways. Is there any way that Hossa could have spent $81 million over 9 years had he signed with the Oilers?

The difference between 6 and 7 million? Sadly it's how people measure them selves. If I make more than joe blow then I must be better.