• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitBoy313

Michigan votes for Toronto.....

Rate this topic

Nothing about TV ratings are going to suggest that people watching the WC weren't interested in hockey to begin with, there's nothing that proves that the WC 'converts' anyone.

Not when you are looking to disprove it. But, when you realize that Jan 1 is the biggest day for college football in the US and people are watching hockey... you can try really hard to say that the WC doesn't bring about new hockey fans, but look how ESPN has covered it. They actually have. What's that mean?

Face it, our beloved sport needs to sell out alittle to get the mainstream press it deserves. And if that means an outdoor game between Original Six teams... well, yeah.

Cern,

I spent damn near all day explaining to people who don't "really" care about hockey why all kinds of things happen- hint- comparing goalies to quarterbacks works at first... I am tired of explaining "icing" and "Original Six". Trust me, the casual American fan noticed this game.

Guest Shoreline

I'd go for a Toronto vs. NY Rangers matchup @ Yankee Stadium. Not only will it get hype, but of course the Canadian media will spin it to Canada vs. USA. Bonus attraction.

Edited by Shoreline

Next year it's in Boston. Sorry guys.

Fenway Park, NYR/Boston.

Original Six again is GREAT!!!!!!!

Edited by rage

Why? Canada's a massive reason the NHL is staying afloat.

For the same reason you don't need to promote college basketball down in North Carolina or SEC college football down south. The market is already there, no further need to try and expand your base of what is already your base.

So the NHL giving the metaphorical finger to the only real reason it exists is a GOOD strategy?

You're right. What a bunch of jerks the NHL are. You can go ahead and stop watching now, as can the rest of Canada.

What's that? You love the sport regardless? I guess *that's* why the NHL doesn't feel the need to market to Canada more than it already does.

Look at the TV ads... How many ads had Crosby in it, I think there was only one commercial break that didn't have him or any reference to the NHL's Nancy Boy...

Real hockey fans hate him. Casual US fans know the name, but they don't really know how much of a little baby this overrated "superstar" is.

I rarely miss games of my favorite team, watch other games every now and then outside of my team with some interest, get really in-tune with the playoffs. I'd hardly consider that casual. So if I don't care one way or the other about Crosby ads et al, all of a sudden I am a "fake" fan?

These real vs. fake fan comparisons are a bunch of bulls**t. You are a fan regardless and I am no more/less or better/worse a fan than you or anybody else.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

There are 3 ideas I think the league should consider ---

1. Pair the top 2 teams of the previous season in the WC with the better team @ home. (Sharks @ Wings)

2. A rematch of the cup finals with winner getting home ice. (Pens @ Wings)

3. Play the ASG outdoors on a roatating basis.

What do you think?

i think original teams would be good, i also like the can/usa look.

If i was a betting man i would have to go with either:

toronto vs ny boston in boston or else

montreal vs ny rangers in ny

if i was bettman i would probably try to get some of the big young names back in the public, i mean besides crosby. maybe washington vs somebody

If it was up to just me i think i would go redwings vs leafs in detroit; even witht he economy, toronto is close enough that it would sell out the bighouse or whatever easily. I do not think they would put the wings in back to game WC though.

I have heard people here (in my town) talking about an oiler/flames game next year in the WC

There are 3 ideas I think the league should consider ---

1. Pair the top 2 teams of the previous season in the WC with the better team @ home. (Sharks @ Wings)

2. A rematch of the cup finals with winner getting home ice. (Pens @ Wings)

3. Play the ASG outdoors on a roatating basis.

What do you think?

What happens if San Jose or Dallas wins? What happens if someone wins the Cup 4 years in a row? If not for all of the teams way down south or the possibility of another dynasty, it would be a pretty good idea.

Guest Four

I want to go to a damn winter classic, but I live in Canada. AND ILL ONLY HAVE A G2 BY THEN!

Which means, I wouldnt even be able to drive to it if it was in New York

Toronto vs bos/NY, Edm vs calgary, toronto vs ottawa, Ny vs NY, Phi vs NJ, Van vs Col, min vs col

For the second straight season, the winter classic was a success as millions watched Detroit beat Chicago 6-4 at Wringly Field on New Years Day. Comcast-Spectacor, which own the Philadelphia Flyers, would like to be next in line. "We [the Flyers] are very interested in being a part of the Winter Classic," Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko said. "We have already expressed our interest to the league. It really is a unique event that we would love to be a part of." Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell is also on board. Last May he suggested that the Flyers play against the Penguins in an outdoor game before the NHL ultimately awarded Chicago the winter classic. Commissioner Gary Bettman hasn't made any decisions regarding next year's game, but a Flyers versus Penguins game is being considered.

Jan. 2 - 9:15 a.m. ET clear.gif Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

The friggin Penguins shouldnt get this game every other season......

I'm all in favor of Washington vs. Boston

My two favorite teams, after the Wings of course, featuring the games most exciting player, Alexander the Great. I would say hold it in Boston over DC though.

with NBC running this, it wont be anywhere except a major eastern market or Minnesota...