• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Secret

Osgood vs. Conklin

Rate this topic

Use your math skillz to figure out how many years ago that was. Wow I can't believe you actually just brought something from 14 years ago up.

Did you even read the quote he replied to?

"All of his greatest tenures"

Last time I checked Osgood played 14 years ago.

The observation was made about Osgood's recent (recent meaning multiple years) play. Okay, was Echolalia incorrect about one season 13 or 14 years ago? Fine. But given my first sentence there and that Osgood (and anyone in the world for that matter) has likely changed over the past decade and a half, there is absolutely no reason to point out his play in the 1995-1996 season other than being a childish, persnickety smartass (for lack of harsher words). It's a completely rude and worthless post.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest Shoreline

Have to agree with most statements here about simply going with who's playing better. When Ozzie f***ed up, Hasek played. When Hasek f***ed up, Ozzie played. Ozzie clearly got a little smug, and while not getting any help from a s***ty first 1/3 of the season by the defense, he still didn't really play up to standards expected of him. Clearly competition is the right kick in the ass that motivates Ozzie to play as we've most appreciated.

Clearly competition is the right kick in the ass that motivates Ozzie to play as we've most appreciated.

Either that, or finally recovering from an injury that's apparently been hampering him since the start of the Season.....

<shrug>

Either that, or finally recovering from an injury that's apparently been hampering him since the start of the Season.....

<shrug>

What ever excuse works for you! Having 2 capable goalies, I think that a healthy competition brings out the best in each competing goalie and saves the wear and tare that a long season dishes out on mules like Kipper and Luongo. To go along with the Larsson thread, I wish we could see him in action on the Wings even just a few times to see how he currently fairs in the grand scheme of things. God forbid either Conks or Ozzie goes down for the count, who would we bring up? I'd like to give Larsson a chance first to see how he'd do because he is already showing to be a better option in GR.

<shrug>

:unsure: Did I miss something? I didn't think this was an injury that was bothering him since the start of the season...

:unsure: Did I miss something? I didn't think this was an injury that was bothering him since the start of the season...

Ozzy has been quoted as saying so, basically that he's been a little bit banged up all year before he had the time off. I haven't really ever observed him making excuses. My guess would be that he thought he was healthy enough to play, but the time off really did him some good to get back to the top of his game.

But really, who cares. I'm glad he's playing well now. :)

Shoulder and groin have been bothering him since day 1.

He also was trying out different equipment that handled the puck differently. I think Mick or Ken mentioned that part of the new pads actually had the puck roll off his shoulder and behind him (into the net) instead of stopping the puck.

What ever excuse works for you!

Not an excuse. A simple fact. Ken Holland himself stated that Osgood had been playing "for weeks" at the level of pain that finally forced him out of the line-up for 7 games in mid-December. Osgood has subsequently confirmed that he'd been hampered with minor shoulder and groin injuries since the start of the Season.

The fact that he played so well last Season, and throughout the Play Offs, is a testament to the fact that he's got Game.

The fact that he looked nothing like the goaltender who led the Wings to the Cup last year when he began this Season is a testament to the fact that there was something wrong.

The fact that he came back from the groin injury as strong as ever is a testament to the fact that what was "wrong" is now right.

The very minor injuries, (as I surmised at the time), were exacerbated by the fact that the moron was attempting to break in new equipment....in a rather unconventional way.....by switching back and forth between equipment, wearing one set for practice, the other set for Games.

Regardless, he appears to be back on his Game. (Knock on wood).

And a good thing he is, too. Because the Wings are going to need him in the Post Season.

Personally I would like to see a rotation of some sort , but in the same breath if a goalie gets a shut out then he deserves to play the next game. The only problem is that if one goalie goes on a run and your playing him constantly then the other one can become rusty. I like the system right now but I can see Ozzie being the goalie of choice come playoff time due to experience and his demeanor. :thumbup: :judge:

I think that would be best, give Osgood the drive he needs by making him compete for the starter spot, but i have a feeling that Babcock will go back to Ozie sooner rather than later, if to just try to get him playing the way he was playing last April and June, even if Conks is the hotter goalie

I don't know he did bench Domi last year in the playoffs. Usually a coach sitting a goalie in the playoffs is the kiss of death, but look what happened last year.