Saw this on there

The following players have been placed on waivers:

Gary Roberts - Tampa Bay

Miroslav Satan - Pittsburgh

Martin Gerber - Ottawa

Brenden Morrison - Anaheim

Is it True or a hoax help me out with this I cant find it anywhere yet

All true: http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=56096

Every salary at this point is prorated. I'm pretty sure the Wings actually have room for someone with an actual salary of $3MM at this point or something. If Roberts were to clear waivers and then be claimed on re-entry waivers, though, the team that claimed him would only be responsible for half his salary.

Not true, the cap number is based by game, every game you have to pay them 1/82nd the value of the contract, and thus every game they must be 1/82nd the value of the cap period.

dollar in dollar out. The wings have 220k left in space and no player can be brought on. Unless Homer stays on LTIR for the rest of the season and then there would be nearly 2 million more in space.

That is the only magjack solution possible. Otherwise we need to move players to get players, I would only move Maltby, lebda, and kopecky; and Jiri or Val if the player we got was a big improvement. However those seem extremely unlikely. Osgood would have to be moved for any shot at a goaltender, and I hate that scenario.

Get ready for no moves folks.

How do you all get your information so damn fast!?!?!??!

I sit down read a article and BOOM, LGW has it, and its already a 2 page thread!

You guys are good

There are actually lots of sites that provide factual news and transactions as well as plenty of others that provide rumors and speculation.

A great site that provides accurate and reliable info is http://tsn.ca/nhl/

Bob McKenzie does a lot of blogging and can be worth a read: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=269564

Another site that many people view (although I'm not an advocate of) is http://www.hockeybuzz.com/, especially eklunds blog.

One last site that provides quick info is http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/

Hope those help.

Not true, the cap number is based by game, every game you have to pay them 1/82nd the value of the contract, and thus every game they must be 1/82nd the value of the cap period.

dollar in dollar out. The wings have 220k left in space and no player can be brought on. Unless Homer stays on LTIR for the rest of the season and then there would be nearly 2 million more in space.

That is the only magjack solution possible. Otherwise we need to move players to get players, I would only move Maltby, lebda, and kopecky; and Jiri or Val if the player we got was a big improvement. However those seem extremely unlikely. Osgood would have to be moved for any shot at a goaltender, and I hate that scenario.

From what I understand this post is inaccurate. Players have daily cap hits regardless of whether they play that day or not and as a result their salary is counted against the cap each and every day.

As for the amount of money Kenny has to spend (should he chose to), Matt's chart is one of the better ones out there: http://www.letsgowings.com/salarychart/index.php Even if you look at nhlscap.com, the cap space the Wings have left is worth about 4-times its value based on prorating. Meaning the Wings could easily pick up a player worth just under $1 million in total yearly salary because they'd only be on the hook for roughly 23% of the contract.

In regards to the accuracy/truth of your first two paragraph's, I respectfully disagree.

From what I understand this post is inaccurate. Players have daily cap hits regardless of whether they play that day or not and as a result their salary is counted against the cap each and every day.

As for the amount of money Kenny has to spend (should he chose to), Matt's chart is one of the better ones out there: http://www.letsgowings.com/salarychart/index.php Even if you look at nhlscap.com, the cap space the Wings have left is worth about 4-times its value based on prorating. Meaning the Wings could easily pick up a player worth just under $1 million in total yearly salary because they'd only be on the hook for roughly 23% of the contract.

In regards to the accuracy/truth of your first two paragraph's, I respectfully disagree.

It is irreguardless of whether the play or not, but they receive there paychecks based by games, and this doesn't effect the ability to take on players.

If you don't believe me they said that explicitly on Satelite hotstove. It has been in plenty of articles as well. Why would you think that we would magically be able to pick up contracts for less then they are worth. You are on the hook for the remaining amount, and because of that your cap number goes up proportionally.

In simplist terms, you go over the cap if your the Red Wings. They have about 220k in space, well below the league minimum. They are not getting anyone without moving people.

Yeah, I just saw someone else here say $3MM at some point and used that, I hadn't actually looked up the numbers. But the Wings can definitely pick someone up with around 4 times their actual cap space remaining. It would be stupid if teams were on the hook for a players entire cap hit when they only have him for 20ish games.

It is irreguardless of whether the play or not, but they receive there paychecks based by games, and this doesn't effect the ability to take on players.

If you don't believe me they said that explicitly on Satelite hotstove. It has been in plenty of articles as well. Why would you think that we would magically be able to pick up contracts for less then they are worth. You are on the hook for the remaining amount, and because of that your cap number goes up proportionally.

In simplist terms, you go over the cap if your the Red Wings. They have about 220k in space, well below the league minimum. They are not getting anyone without moving people.

I suppose either way, whether pay is based by games or based on the percentage of days remaining in the regular season its basically splitting hairs seeing as that they'd be so close to each other to begin with.

Teams are able to pick up players for the *remainder* of their contract and its subsequent cap hit. Why would any team be on the hook for the entire yearly cap hit of a player acquired at the deadline if they aren't on the hook for their entire yearly contract? The team that trades a player was responsible for that players' salary and cap hit *up until the moment they are traded*. After that, the team that acquires the player is on the hook for the remainder of the salary and the remainder of the cap hit. The remainder of the cap hit though is quite different than the yearly cap hit. Cap hits don't magically go away, but teams that acquire players aren't required to count the entire years' cap hit, just the portion left after they're picked up.

TSN bloggers suggesting Wings are interested in Neil.

Not sure if this has been posted:

Sources say Murray has received considerable interest in Neil who is still several days away from returning from a serious leg laceration.

Included among the teams believed to most interest are the San Jose Sharks and Detroit Red Wings.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=269576

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I suppose either way, whether pay is based by games or based on the percentage of days remaining in the regular season its basically splitting hairs seeing as that they'd be so close to each other to begin with.

Teams are able to pick up players for the *remainder* of their contract and its subsequent cap hit. Why would any team be on the hook for the entire yearly cap hit of a player acquired at the deadline if they aren't on the hook for their entire yearly contract? The team that trades a player was responsible for that players' salary and cap hit *up until the moment they are traded*. After that, the team that acquires the player is on the hook for the remainder of the salary and the remainder of the cap hit. The remainder of the cap hit though is quite different than the yearly cap hit. Cap hits don't magically go away, but teams that acquire players aren't required to count the entire years' cap hit, just the portion left after they're picked up.

Sigh, why is this hard to understand.

They pay him what is owed left on the contract for the year, this doesn't mean that since there is 1/4th the season left that the cap is only affected by 1/4th the salary.

its like this....

If you agree to pay all your players x dollars a day and that adds up to being 226k under the cap, and you agree to take on a player whose salary is 1 million, just because he is only owed 250k left, that doesn't mean you can fit him under the cap, because that yes you owe him only 250k but the salary cap goes up on the year the full one million.

That is to say that there is 40 days left in the season about... so that 226,000 in cap space allows us 5650 dollars a day in cap space for the period. The 1 million dollar player will draw 6250 left per day. You do not get to take the 250k they are owed and pay them over the full season, its the same schedule the former team had to pay him on that you do. So basically the yearly salary is what matters as it makes no difference when you pick them up. Otherwise the salary cap would mean nothing to rental players.

The Wings cannot take on more then 226k PERIOD. The Salary Cap does not change through the year no matter how much you want to believe that it does. It is a matter of accounting, and they are still accountable for the salary cap number which is based on the full average salary of the player.

Serriously go look it up. That is what counts. As for the Million listed in space on Letsgowings.com, that is based on the money cleared by Homer being LTIR.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Sigh, why is this hard to understand.

They pay him what is owed left on the contract for the year, this doesn't mean that since there is 1/4th the season left that the cap is only affected by 1/4th the salary.

its like this....

If you agree to pay all your players x dollars a day and that adds up to being 226k under the cap, and you agree to take on a player whose salary is 1 million, just because he is only owed 250k left, that doesn't mean you can fit him under the cap, because that yes you owe him only 250k but the salary cap goes up on the year the full one million.

That is to say that there is 40 days left in the season about... so that 226,000 in cap space allows us 5650 dollars a day in cap space for the period. The 1 million dollar player will draw 6250 left per day. You do not get to take the 250k they are owed and pay them over the full season, its the same schedule the former team had to pay him on that you do. So basically the yearly salary is what matters as it makes no difference when you pick them up. Otherwise the salary cap would mean nothing to rental players.

The Wings cannot take on more then 226k PERIOD. The Salary Cap does not change through the year no matter how much you want to believe that it does. It is a matter of accounting, and they are still accountable for the salary cap number which is based on the full average salary of the player.

Serriously go look it up. That is what counts. As for the Million listed in space on Letsgowings.com, that is based on the money cleared by Homer being LTIR.

Sorry to rain on your parade.

Look man, this is not how I understand it works and I have sources to back it up. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there are plenty of other people that are in the same boat I am then too, but I've atleast got sources to back up my claims:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8446834...o-get-below-cap

However, all salary cap hits are pro-rated, meaning that if you grab a player at the trade deadline in late February, you've really only got to pay his salary for about six weeks or so, and his cap hit is pro-rated as such.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2743713

Forsberg makes $5.75 million, so even the prorated cap hit will be slightly more than $2 million for an interested team.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1322-NHL-Examine...o-know-and-more

In a trade the salary that is charged against a team’s cap is the pro rated amount remaining of the player’s average annual salary. IF a player’s annual salary is 2 million, the amount charged against the cap of the team getting him in the trade is the pro-rated amount of the remaining 2 million dollars or dividing the 2 million by the 186 days in the season times the number of days remaining in the season as of the date the trade is made (40 if the trade is done on March 4) which is $430,120 that would be charged against the cap.