• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2009 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

Look man, this is not how I understand it works and I have sources to back it up. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there are plenty of other people that are in the same boat I am then too, but I've atleast got sources to back up my claims:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8446834...o-get-below-cap

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2743713

This is also the way I understand it. That's why the Wings have been so stingy with their callups; they essentially accumulate cap space as the season goes on.

Look man, this is not how I understand it works and I have sources to back it up. Perhaps I'm wrong, but there are plenty of other people that are in the same boat I am then too, but I've atleast got sources to back up my claims:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8446834...o-get-below-cap

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...&id=2743713

Indeed, I believe you have got it wrong maj.

Further to this, I could have misunderstood posts but I think a few people misunderstand the cap effects of players on LTIR. The players are still paid and therefore it doesn't affect the cap in any way. Holmstrom being out for as long as he has been doesn't change a thing if we want him back on the active roster. Even if Nick Lidstrom were to be all season but coming back next week. He has been paid for it so his entire cap hit counts. Every day.

Edited by Doggy

Eklund is siting TWO separate sources about a three team deal bewteen Detroit, Pheonix, and Philly that would land us Martin Biron. apparently this hinges on Philly getting the Bulin Wall from the Hawks first.

Edited by alienanxiety

Eklund is siting TWO separate sources about a three team deal bewteen Detroit, Pheonix, and Philly that would land us Martin Biron. apparently this hinges on Philly getting the Bulin Wall from the Hawks first.

I stopped reading at Eklund. Lol.

If Bob McKenzie says something then I'll be inclined to believe.

I stopped reading at Eklund. Lol.

If Bob McKenzie says something then I'll be inclined to believe.

funny you should ask, where there's smoke there is fire...

Bob McKenzie reports the Philadelphia Flyers are trying to land Jay Bouwmeester but cap constraints are making that difficult. McKenzie cites sources saying the Flyers would like to move Martin Biron and turn the starting goalie reins over to Antero Niittymaki. One scenario has the Flyers shipping Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes who would then flip him elsewhere but the Coyotes won’t make deal for Biron unless they can get the other deal in place.

funny you should ask, where there's smoke there is fire...

Bob McKenzie reports the Philadelphia Flyers are trying to land Jay Bouwmeester but cap constraints are making that difficult. McKenzie cites sources saying the Flyers would like to move Martin Biron and turn the starting goalie reins over to Antero Niittymaki. One scenario has the Flyers shipping Biron to the Phoenix Coyotes who would then flip him elsewhere but the Coyotes won’t make deal for Biron unless they can get the other deal in place.

We'd have to move Brad Stuart or someone to get a goalie we don't need. I can't see Detroit being a part of this. Eklund has just thrown us in because HE thinks a goalie change is necessary. Not KH.

We'd have to move Brad Stuart or someone to get a goalie we don't need. I can't see Detroit being a part of this. Eklund has just thrown us in because HE thinks a goalie change is necessary. Not KH.

i certainly wouldn't mind Biron. i was one of the ones advocating we get him a couple years back. also, given his recent play, wouldn't getting rid of stuart automatically improve our golatending? :P

doesn't biron suckity suck anyhow? or am I wrong?

Yeah, he's not an upgrade. The Wings aren't trading for a goalie anyway.

Don't listen to Eklund.

There are actually lots of sites that provide factual news and transactions as well as plenty of others that provide rumors and speculation.

A great site that provides accurate and reliable info is http://tsn.ca/nhl/

Bob McKenzie does a lot of blogging and can be worth a read: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=269564

Another site that many people view (although I'm not an advocate of) is http://www.hockeybuzz.com/, especially eklunds blog.

One last site that provides quick info is http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/

Hope those help.

THANKS for listing these. McKenzie does indeed have a good rep for whuz up.

All Eklund does is regurgate information from other sources, puts his own twist on it using his knowledge of what a team might need and then claims the whole thing as his own from his TOP SECRET source.

Eklund is no better than those two bit physics!

Detroit's not getting a goalie. Holland already dismissed it, aside from it making no sense.

I do still think we'll get someone. I didn't think it would be going down to the wire, though, considering it won't be a blockbuster.

Holland on the Neil rumors, via Kukla's:

Ken Daniels, Wings TV play-by-play man, talked with Ken Holland today regarding the Chris Neil rumor that the Wings may have interest in trading for him.

Holland says he has not talked to Bryan Murray since the Wings acquired Igor Larionov. So you can put that rumor to rest.

Holland also said he had no idea where that rumor came from, the Larry Murphy spoke up and said the Canadian media started it.

Cue LGW panic in 3...2...1...

:lol:

Ottawa is worded to be trading Antoine Vermettte to Columbus for Pascal Leclaire.

Seems like a good move for both teams, but Vermette isn't Columbus' answer for a number one center. Wouldn't it be a wiser move to hold on to Leclaire until the off-season when he can be packaged for a legit number one center?

Biron IS an upgrade over Osgood/Conklin. He just is. If anyone but Chicago gets Khabi my money's on that team making the Finals. Washington should trade Nylander/Johnson/1st Rounder for Khabi. Philly could trade any number of people, Biron/Lupul/1st Rounder. Bulin is money.

Biron IS an upgrade over Osgood/Conklin. He just is. If anyone but Chicago gets Khabi my money's on that team making the Finals. Washington should trade Nylander/Johnson/1st Rounder for Khabi. Philly could trade any number of people, Biron/Lupul/1st Rounder. Bulin is money.

I don't quite follow this post. It's all over the place.

Are you saying any team with Khabibulin will make the Finals?

I don't quite follow this post. It's all over the place.

Are you saying any team with Khabibulin will make the Finals?

Well first, the reason I believe Biron to be an upgrade in goal: I've watched Biron since his very first game against the Penguins when he wore jersey '00' and got pulled and then put back in (haha). He was a hot chip in Buffalo but the Sabres had so many young goalies, first Shields, then Noronen, finally Miller. It was like the Sabres couldn't get through a draft without trying to find the successor to...well, you know who. Anyway, the point is, Biron has rarely been given the chance to get comfortable with a team. In Buffalo as soon as he started playing well they started trying to push him out in favor of Miller. In Philadelphia he's been pushed by Antero N... and has been up-and-down. The point is, he's a veteran who isn't "too old" and he's got to have a lot of drive to prove himself, prove something. To me that seems to be what people are pointing to with Chris Osgood this season, he doesn't have as much motivation, and it's true, why should he really? That's why Dominik retired after last season, he "didn't have the motivation," that it wasn't physical. Biron is a big goaltender who is still waiting for a chance, I think he would do great in Detroitland.

As for what I was saying about Bulin, he feels to me like a Dwayne Roloson type this year. In 2006 when Edmonton picked up Roloson, they were out of the playoff picture by 3-5 points. Minnesota were leading the league in GAA but had both Fernandez and Roloson and decided to move Roloson. The Oilers made the playoffs by a single point (if memory serves), and there was a feeling if they could just get INTO the playoffs, they'd go far. They picked up Samsonov and someone else that deadline too. Do I think the Hawks will make the Finals with Bulin? No, they have their goaltending carousel and I just don't get the feeling that there is a belief there within the team, it's a "let's do our best and be happy with that" instead of "let's win the Cup". But if a team like Washington picks up Khabibulin or Philadelphia, where it is a "final move" to build a team to win the Cup, I think that team will succeed. Even though Khabibulin has had some rough games when I look at him in the net he feels in control. He watches the pucks and moves to them instead of just sitting there waiting like Huet or Price. He is a Stanley Cup winner and has that mental advantage. I really just feel if a team on the cusp of greatness yet held back by the goaltending question mark (Washington and Philly especially, Detroit of course but they can't take the hit) picks up Khabi it will be a success. I'm not convinced they would win it all but the East is so wide open with so many questionable goaltenders (Tim Thomas has had poor playoffs, Theodore is average at best, Vokoun's been playing incredible but has almost no playoff experience, and on and on) that the Bulin Wall would tip the scales in favor of his new team.

Edited by shadow47

You're the one asking for clarification Jack.

Also might as well note that Biron led the Flyers to the Conference Finals last year in his first ever playoffs.

AND Khabibulin is one of only five goaltenders playing in the NHL to have won a Stanley Cup as a starter (Brodeur, Osgood, Ward, Giguere).

Edited by shadow47