• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingaling

Wings "Boring" brand of Hockey?

Rate this topic

This is my first post. I am a recent Wings fan, new to watching th NHL.

That being said, I think if the Wings lose Hudler for a more physical player, we will dread every game against whoever Hudler plays for, as he will become a real nemesis.

No, were on the same page. I say "big bad Canadians" because If I am a homer for anything then I am a homer for Canadian players... I'm a Canadian, it's in my blood. I wouldn't want to necessarily fill our roster either, a good mix of NA and Euro is what I would like... to get the best of all worlds. But I agree that if our current group of players would add more physicality the over-all result right now would be much better and much more exciting. Franzen is huge, finish a damn body check... pretty sad when Helm who is way smaller is also way more physical and throws way better hits the Franzen. Or Kopecky, beef up man, put some size and strength on that frame and learn to use it.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. The key to putting together any team (or any group for that matter, regardless of the reason) is balance. The best of both worlds would be great to have. One problem I've had with this team is that it seems like lots of times they keep too many of the "same" player. That's the great thing about a team sport... there are so many roles to fill and great teams fill them all. I know that in the Wings they have the ability to fill all the roles but they are not playing to that way right now.

The Wings don't need more fights to make it exciting; they just need more fight in them. Pace is what dictates entertainment in my mind, and a tenacious team that isn't afraid to mix it up physically improves the pace of the game. Couple that with skillful puck possession and scoring... that's a team I want to watch!

yeah it's because the lack of physical play and fighting... the strategy works you can't argue with that, but think about watching the Wings from a fan of another team's perspective... the Wings tend to be able to suck the energy from a game and beat their opponents on pure skill rather than adrenaline and that is not fun especially when your team is losing

the Wings are also incredibly disciplined and when push comes to shove, they turn away and let the referees deal with it... again, a good strategy to win, but let's be a honest a brawl in hockey is about as entertaining as it gets

This is my first post. I am a recent Wings fan, new to watching th NHL.

That being said, I think if the Wings lose Hudler for a more physical player, we will dread every game against whoever Hudler plays for, as he will become a real nemesis.

Lets just hope he's East-bound then. :P

Welcome aboard!

Guest Shoreline
We're not boring.

Fans bitching about how we are because we don't fight all the time however, are.

So true.

Some people prefer North American gritty/throw the gloves hockey as opposed to the Detroit's European puck possession style of play. Personally, I'd take a puck possession game over a physical game any day of the week - but saying I'm in the minority is an understatement.

On a side note, this is something that has always bothered me. Why would you even be a fan of the Red Wings if you hate the fact that they're more of a finesse than a physical team? I've noticed quite a few people on this board who can go on and on about how this team needs to be physical and how it's "embarrassing" that they aren't. Then why do you call yourself a fan? Why not be a fan of, say, Anaheim or the Flyers? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Some people prefer North American gritty/throw the gloves hockey as opposed to the Detroit's European puck possession style of play. Personally, I'd take a puck possession game over a physical game any day of the week - but saying I'm in the minority is an understatement.

On a side note, this is something that has always bothered me. Why would you even be a fan of the Red Wings if you hate the fact that they're more of a finesse than a physical team? I've noticed quite a few people on this board who can go on and on about how this team needs to be physical and how it's "embarrassing" that they aren't. Then why do you call yourself a fan? Why not be a fan of, say, Anaheim or the Flyers? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Because alot of us have been a fan of this team for a very long time. I have been since the early 80's and I will always be a fan even of they decide to ice team Sweden again next year... I will still prefer some changes to the team but I will always be a fan. Band Wagoners would jump to a new team but true blue's will stay and *****!

Because alot of us have been a fan of this team for a very long time. I have been since the early 80's and I will always be a fan even of they decide to ice team Sweden again next year... I will still prefer some changes to the team but I will always be a fan. Band Wagoners would jump to a new team but true blue's will stay and *****!

I don't mind fans like you - who have a preference to gritty play but still enjoy the Wings for what they are. I'm talking about the people who make comments like "This team is so embarrassing because we don't fight" or something to that effect. I don't want to start pointing out names (mindfly), but it just confuses the crap out of me.

Yeah, you just can't switch alliances based on what style you prefer. You can like other teams but you're married to your 1 favorite team! I live out in Western NY so I like the Sabres too, but the Wings are definitely #1 and I don't think it'll ever be different. Hell, I'm a freaking Lions fan and they give me no reason to like anything they do, but I can't quit them!

The Wings could dress 20 midgets and if they win, I love what they're doing. But we're talking about entertainment value here, and I think it's more fun to see the Wings play physical in addition to puck possession when they have the puck. The hitting and passion, strong forechecks, scrums after the whistle, and the occasional unscripted fight... that is an entertaining part of hockey. Hockey is so great because it's fast, skillful, aggressive, violent, and graceful at the same time. It's most entertaining with all those elements.

Yeah, you just can't switch alliances based on what style you prefer. You can like other teams but you're married to your 1 favorite team! I live out in Western NY so I like the Sabres too, but the Wings are definitely #1 and I don't think it'll ever be different. Hell, I'm a freaking Lions fan and they give me no reason to like anything they do, but I can't quit them!

The Wings could dress 20 midgets and if they win, I love what they're doing. But we're talking about entertainment value here, and I think it's more fun to see the Wings play physical in addition to puck possession when they have the puck. The hitting and passion, strong forechecks, scrums after the whistle, and the occasional unscripted fight... that is an entertaining part of hockey. Hockey is so great because it's fast, skillful, aggressive, violent, and graceful at the same time. It's most entertaining with all those elements.

I agree with this.

But it can be down right embarrassing too when the players in a physical game won't even defend themselves, not even on occasion. Fighting or not it is a very physical game anyway and it's a necessary ingredient for winning and for excitement. If this team keeps playing patty cake come playoff time guess whats going to happen then? How much excitement and momentum did the big Kronwall hits give us last year? Do you think they made a difference? Those types of hits get the crowd going, the team going and it makes the other team think alot more about Kronwall being on the ice then having a meathead like Downey sitting on the bench.

The team that scores by far the most goals in the league (and lets in the 9th most) is boring?

The same team that has Hossa, Datsyuk, Franzen, Hudler and Zetterberg?

Add Lidstrom as well...

This is basically nonsense. It's jealousy pure and simple. I wouldn't pay much attention to it at all. Scoring more goals than your opponent is the name of the game in hockey and the Wings score the most.

Aside from the lack of fighting (the Wings have Kronwall and Stuart to land the big hits but the whole team can play physically in the playoffs as we've seen) and the tactic of shooting the puck into the goalies chest or glove to get the offensive zone face-off, there's nothing to discuss. And since the Wings are so good on face-offs, in terms of the latter issue, it often makes for scoring chances, so it kind of cancels out.

Boring? If the Wings are on their game, they've got the puck the whole night and they hardly give you a sniff. They are boring because they are better than you.

That being said, based on the number of games with 4 and 5 goals against, the Wings have been pretty far from boring this year.

Some of us started watching the Wings before they became a purely finesse team. The Red Wings of the 90s were a different team to say the least.

I started watching the team when they couldn't buy a win with someone else's money. We're talking pre-Bowman. So I've seen s***ty Wings teams, winning Wings teams, physical Wings teams and finesse Wings teams.

Physical vs. Finesse doesn't mean good vs. bad. Both styles of play won us championships.

To answer this I went to the streets.

First answer I received was " when you always win or usually win, games tend to be 1 sided and as a fan of another team its boring knowing the outcome before the game starts" Habs Fan

Second answer " As a Dallas fan I hate the Wings especially Datsyuk. The wings aren't boring but are realllly annoying to watch because they are so dam frustrating."

These are 2 of my buddies back in Montreal who answered this.

We all say that Devils hockey is still the most boring in the league.

Red Wing hockey in my opinion is amazing to watch, especially when Pavel is on.

No, were on the same page. I say "big bad Canadians" because If I am a homer for anything then I am a homer for Canadian players... I'm a Canadian, it's in my blood. I wouldn't want to necessarily fill our roster either, a good mix of NA and Euro is what I would like... to get the best of all worlds. But I agree that if our current group of players would add more physicality the over-all result right now would be much better and much more exciting. Franzen is huge, finish a damn body check... pretty sad when Helm who is way smaller is also way more physical and throws way better hits the Franzen. Or Kopecky, beef up man, put some size and strength on that frame and learn to use it.

:clap: Nicely said my fellow canadian friend! Franzen for the love of god could be a force like Bertuzzi ( you know the Bertuzzi I mean, the one before the incident) or Eric Lindros was in his prime. Franzen has the size and the hands to be an all around "force".

I agree with this.

But it can be down right embarrassing too when the players in a physical game won't even defend themselves, not even on occasion. Fighting or not it is a very physical game anyway and it's a necessary ingredient for winning and for excitement. If this team keeps playing patty cake come playoff time guess whats going to happen then? How much excitement and momentum did the big Kronwall hits give us last year? Do you think they made a difference? Those types of hits get the crowd going, the team going and it makes the other team think alot more about Kronwall being on the ice then having a meathead like Downey sitting on the bench.

Fair enough. I just get a little irked when people go on about how embarrassing the team is in terms of physical play. But hey, to each his own.

Guest Shoreline
Some of us started watching the Wings before they became a purely finesse team. The Red Wings of the 90s were a different team to say the least.

When they lost most of that rock-em-sock-em attitude they started winning cups. The mix isn't necessarily because of nationality, it's because of ability and heart. I don't mind watching certain "exciting" styles of hockey from other teams. It's entertaining. However, I'm glad this organization has a dedication to winning, which is also exciting, just in another fashion. To win consistently is to be boring. Growing up a 49ers fan I got too used to seeing the team win for as long as I was alive up until the 21st century. Now where are they? 49ers WCO was boring and methodical, they put up lots of points, racked up records, same s*** that's happening to the Wings right now. People simply need to appreciate the fact that management has built such a successful franchise, isn't even playing boring hockey (aside of the ADD people who seriously want fights every 2 minutes), and has a dedication to winning. I imagine there's many other frustrated fans out there who would even wish to make the playoffs and we can bicker over stupid s*** like having Canadians on the roster and hitting more.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't really have anything further to add to this thread, but someone posted this video in one of the various other enforcer/fighting/toughness/boring debate threads and I still get excited watching it ;)

If youre not a hardcore Wings fan, or a Wings fan at all, I can totally see where you'd find their style of play boring. I'll think Wings games are entertaining even if they're employing the trap for an entire season, just because they're the Wings, but I can totally see where you'd find their style of play boring if you're a casual Wings fan, or not a Wings fan at all.

This team has no balance. Don't kid yourselves - Cleary, Franzen, Draper, Maltby and Kopecky aren't natural energy guys at all, or anymore, depending on the case. They won't bring that sort of game on a regular basis. Apparently, the same can be said for Kronwall and Stuart on the back-end. These are guys who can be gritty, physical, and energetic, but they don't want to be. I have faith they'll bring at least some of that game in the playoffs, but I don't expect it out of them during the regular season.

The popularity of the Wings in the past 20 years piqued when they had a balanced squad. Pretty goals, nice passes, skilled plays....and big hits, great energy, and momentum-changing fights. The latter is missing almost in its entirety on this squad.

IMO, if you want this team to be exciting again without relying on Hossa, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg to spice things up, then its starts with adding some nastiness on the back-end, and revamping the 3rd and 4th lines. Guys like Lebda, Kopecky, Draper and Maltby are all either hasbeens or wannabes. Two of them used to be good at bringing the energy, now they're just old dogs. Lebda and Kopecky, on the other hand, would both prefer to be lesser versions of offensive defenseman and skilled top-sixers, instead of making themselves irreplaceable but bringing constant energy and agitation that makes their presence known each and every time they're on the ice.

Bottom line - this team would be a lot more exciting if it had a handful of guys on this roster who knew that their bread and butter was bringing energy, grit, nastiness, physicality, etc. I question whether theres a single guy on this team - except for maybe Helm - who doesn't see that role as secondary to making pretty passes and skilled plays.

I recently read, on a few different sites mind you,red wings so called boring brand of hockey??? What? Where did this all start and why? :scared:

Red Wings are considered "boring" by many because they play a basic "force-the-turnover-and-counterattack" set up, which if you are not a Red Wings fan is like watching paint dry -- minus the 3-7 seconds a brilliant Datsyuk provides.

They also use a variation of the trap which can indeed kill any excitement in the sense that it limits movement in any offensively aggressive manner leading to a game of back and fourth in the neutral zone -- which then leads you to the infamous back and fourth between zones where the most excitement on the ice is the breakout.

The system they use is definitely not what the Wings used under Bowman, but it is more similar then a lot of people give it credit to. The biggest differences lie in the altered to diminished use of the left wing lock (at least the way Bowman implemented it) as well as an increased focus on the trap in the mutant form (which is good because the text book trap is more boring then anything) which Babcock uses.

Now I am a Red Wings fan, a die hard fan per se, so I don't care what they do as long as they keep winning. That said, if I were not a fan of the Wings I can easily see why watching them would be boring as s***.

As for winning championships -- It's really quite simple -- YOU HAVE GOT TO BE ROCK SOLID DEFENSIVELY. Your defense is the end all be all for a team looking to hoist the cup over their heads. Steve Yzerman said it the best:

"We have to get better at that. All of the Stanley Cup winning teams throughout the past few seasons, when they needed to play defense, they did it. If you can play defense, that's when you know it's game over."
Edited by sureWhyNot

I started watching the team when they couldn't buy a win with someone else's money. We're talking pre-Bowman. So I've seen s***ty Wings teams, winning Wings teams, physical Wings teams and finesse Wings teams.

Physical vs. Finesse doesn't mean good vs. bad. Both styles of play won us championships.

But thats the thing - physical and finesse aren't mutually exclusive. In fact when you have a good mix of both, it tends to rub off on one another. Then you have physical 4th liners who can make a nice pass or score a pretty goal, and you have skilled top sixers throwing their weight around. Thats the best brand of hockey, and for this Wings team right now, its incredibly one-sided.

Now, to clarify my point, because I know someone like Sandman will come in here to call any critic a hater, I DO think Wings hockey is exciting. I always will. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be more exciting or, at the least, a bit more varied from game to game.