• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Lidstrom appreciation thread

Rate this topic

Most impressive feat? Being the greatest Dman of all time. Yeah yeah, blah blah, Orr. Orr played a few decades ago, therefore he's automatically better until time dictates both are viewed on equal pedastals. In life, the "old thing" is always better than "the new thing". Orr, bless him, never played D like Nick. And that's what the D in Dman stands for. Orr may as well have been a forward. Not to discount him but I think we're just falling prey to old school sensationalism again. Orr is "Orr!" and his mystique has gone beyond his play and into "NO ONE CAN BE BETTER EVAR!" territory.

Orr was great for a short time. Lidstrom is/was perfect for almost two decades.

Most impressive feat? Being the greatest Dman of all time. Yeah yeah, blah blah, Orr. Orr played a few decades ago, therefore he's automatically better until time dictates both are viewed on equal pedastals. In life, the "old thing" is always better than "the new thing". Orr, bless him, never played D like Nick. And that's what the D in Dman stands for. Orr may as well have been a forward. Not to discount him but I think we're just falling prey to old school sensationalism again. Orr is "Orr!" and his mystique has gone beyond his play and into "NO ONE CAN BE BETTER EVAR!" territory.

You can't fault Orr for being injured. The guy was simply amazing and did things that even Lidstrom can't hold a candle to. The guy won the scoring title as a Dman. He also had a season where he was over +100, those are mind-boggling stats. As great as Lidstrom is you can't say that Orr only gets recognition because he played a long time ago, that's just ridiculous.

Personally, I think it's being named Captain of the Detroit Red Wings... he's the successor to Yzerman... you don't think that'd be a huge feat to accomplish??? It means that it recognizes all of his accomplishments in one swoop.

He's just amazing. I'm so proud that he's our Captain. He's Captain Clutch!!!! :)

This.

Honestly, being named as the captain of the Red Wings is ultimately more difficult than winning the Stanley cup! How many years did it take before he was named? And what was taken into consideration before naming him? Obviously I don't know, but I can speculate It was all of the other things previously mentioned (with the exception of the first Euro captain to win the cup). All I know is thank God we never have to play against him, b/c with how perfect of a player he is, that would drive me absolutley nuts!

When he does retire, I hope he becomes the defensive coach (or some similar position). That kind of experience is just crazy!

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

Were you not watching the Pens-Caps game yesterday, where Crosby and Ovechkin were basically compared to more physical versions of Gretzky and Lemieux? I think most people see that old vs. new argument the other way around--what's here and now is always elevated above stuff that nobody under 50 remembers.

I have absolutely no reservations about calling Lids one of the 10 best players in NHL history. As someone who has tremendous respect for the history of the game, that's not something I throw around either.

This is going to sound pretty stupid, but as for "most impressive accomplishment," I'm going to go with the played in 98% of the games thing. Think about everything we're asking him to do--30 min. a night, all situations, against the best in the league. To endure that kind of wear and tear and almost never be hurt? Freaking amazing.

You can't fault Orr for being injured. The guy was simply amazing and did things that even Lidstrom can't hold a candle to. The guy won the scoring title as a Dman. He also had a season where he was over +100, those are mind-boggling stats. As great as Lidstrom is you can't say that Orr only gets recognition because he played a long time ago, that's just ridiculous.

Orr was great but he migh as well have been a forward. It's like putting Yzerman on D and when he wins scoring titles, just saying he's the best dman.

And the media can compare whoever to whoever, the general nhl viewer will rank Mario and Wayne higher than those two.

Orr was great but he migh as well have been a forward. It's like putting Yzerman on D and when he wins scoring titles, just saying he's the best dman.

And the media can compare whoever to whoever, the general nhl viewer will rank Mario and Wayne higher than those two.

Not really, Bobby Orr was amazing defensively too. There is no doubt Orr is THE best defenseman ever. That said, Lidstrom is absolutely amazing and he is top5, maybe even top3 defenseman ever.