• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

I will lose major respect for Chicago fans if

Rate this topic

Indeed! Throwing a quarter and hitting Hawks equipment manager Troy Parchmen in the eye after the final regular season game in Detroit was a pretty classy thing to do for a coward Wings fan.

That said, I wouldn't get into that chant at all. I hate the Wings with all of my heart, but it's a game. People are losing everything there, and that's hurting the nation as a whole. As a strong union supporter, and a supporter of working people in general, I agree that the chant is lame.

Say all you want about the act, but that throw HAD to be money to hit him in the eye like that.

LMAO Very funny post. By the way the only time Detroit only has 6 letters is when it's pronounced '"D-troit." ;)

*Love your sig!

Lol. Proof-reading is my friend.

I have only read this thread and the photoshop thread and laugh at the insinuation that it is hawk fans who lack class.

Just like chicago, New York or any place else when some of you want to see a classless fan all you need is a mirror.

That is of course just some of you. Also going to the teams message board for material is spotty. Check out the series thread at the HF site. Lots of good fans from both teams.

The one thing I found humorous was the bandwagontown quip on the other thread. Some of you (younger folk I am guessing) have no idea that Chicago (hockey team and fan wise) is pretty much a carbon copy of Detroit.

Detroit

Great fan base in the 60's and early 70's (when I was young) and before.

Fans tired of paying good money for inferior product stopped going.

New ownership brings hope to some and some fans return.

Young stars (Yzerman!!) bring hope to some and some fans return.

Great young talented group starts winning and the place fills.

The fact is the red wings couldn't draw flies through the 1970's until the mid/late 80's (exempting new arena) when they started to win. I have a puck from the Olympia that was gained by running an entire section over and 5 rows down (as a 6 year old) because their were about 5500 in the building.

So by your definition pretty much all of you are bandwagon fans.

Chicago

Great fan base from 60's (as far back as I go) until the mid 90's, teams were regularly competitive

Fans tired of paying good money for inferior product stopped going. (hated owner and poor policies)

New ownership (death of WWW) brings hope to some that goal would be more than "making playoffs and filling seats" some fans return.

Young stars (Toews!!!) bring hope to some and some fans return

Great young talented group starts winning and the place fills.

Hawks couldn't draw flies from mid 90's until last year. If you really want to know why check the Bob Pulford drafts from 1981 to 1996. By the early 90's the talent from the Tommy Ivan drafts from 72 to 1980 (and especially 1980) was old or gone and nothing was in the pipeline.

I don't consider either group of fans as being band wagon fans. In fact in Chicago it was noted that something like 40% of new (non corporate) season ticket sales were to people who had them at some point in the past and let them go. In fact Detroit actually needed a winner for fans to return, Hawk fans started filling the place late last year for a non playoff team as soon as the owner died and Pulford was sent to Siberia.

Wings should win this, I think most Hawk fans and players know that. I am impressed with the fact hawk players WANTED to play the wings. Should they find a way to win they will have slayed the dragon that they MUST defeat. If they don't they know it will be a valuable lesson for this group of kids in their early 20's and they will move forward.

While i of course hope the Hawks win I hope for a good series. One thing nobody can deny is that the 2009 NHL playoffs have overall been the best in at least a decade.

Take care.

One more thing (while I live in Florida I wanted to touch on what some of you thought was relevent data about the 2 locales.

Chicago has over 3x the population of Detroit.

Cook County has over 2.5 x the population of Wayne County.

Many factories and private employers in the Chicagoland area are located in DuPage, Kane and Lake counties (especially DuPage). Chicago is more residential than Detroit. This would mean that City and County services (as well as education) would be the major employers.

In contrast Detroit has more factories in the city and more people living outside the city. This would lessen the need for services.

As for the Federal Govt. Pretty much every major branch of the federal govt. has an office in the Dirkson federal building in downtown Chicago, also the location of a federal courthouse and prison.

they chant "Sell More Cars" at the United Center. That is just not right for some city to make fun of another city/state where people are losing their houses, jobs and some people have actually been so depressed to hurt others or themselves.

Into this series, I hate the hawks, but respect them a great deal. I will lose all respect (mostly towards the fans) if they end up doing that.

I brought this up, because supposedly this won the best chant contest on Chicago radio.

Sorry just had to get this off my chest.

Best thing the Wings can do with this kind of B.S. is only give the Hawks fans 2 games to open their big yaps. 4-1 Wings. :thumbup:

I don't care if people take shots at the Blackhawks, I'm not a Hawks fan. I do care when people take shots at Chicago the city, because that's my hometown, where my and our family's roots are and where 99% of my friends still live.

they chant "Sell More Cars" at the United Center. That is just not right for some city to make fun of another city/state where people are losing their houses, jobs and some people have actually been so depressed to hurt others or themselves.

Into this series, I hate the hawks, but respect them a great deal. I will lose all respect (mostly towards the fans) if they end up doing that.

I brought this up, because supposedly this won the best chant contest on Chicago radio.

Sorry just had to get this off my chest.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by #19forPresident!