• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Holmstrom96

NHL Staff Writer: "Is [Crosby] Perfect?"

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

Gotta love how I use Malkin as an example of someone in Crosby's shadow (as far as marketing, selecting a non wing in perticular) the night he (Malkin) posts a hat trick and everyone writes about him for once.

Edit: Which of course doesn't change my stance... It'll be hours until Crosby's back up.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

I don't really understand the point in defending Crosby against complaints. I mean, what's the argument? "No, you're wrong! You DO like him!"?

I dunno. People can say the Crosby bashing is baseless and inane. But I think the very fact that there's so much negativity directed towards this guy means something and isn't just down to people being bitchy. Sure, you can pick apart an anti-Crosby tirade here and there, but I think that's missing the forest for the trees.

I don't really understand the point in defending Crosby against complaints. I mean, what's the argument? "No, you're wrong! You DO like him!"?

I dunno. People can say the Crosby bashing is baseless and inane. But I think the very fact that there's so much negativity directed towards this guy means something and isn't just down to people being bitchy. Sure, you can pick apart an anti-Crosby tirade here and there, but I think that's missing the forest for the trees.

It just seems like there is a lot of envy at work here. Here's this 21 year old guy smashing records(for his age), captain of his team. Already led team to a Cup finals and is 2 wins away from another. He's a really great player.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Ovetchin.jpg

The Onion has spoken...

Edit: BTW... Ovechkin's a lil higher in my book mostly due to his personality (and lack of punching people in the nuts during "fights"). I just threw this up for the humor.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Please don't ever go into marketing, if you both can't figure out why Crosby is more marketable than Malkin, and that POINTS in this year's playoffs isn't going to determine who is marketable and who is not.

When it comes to Crosby, Red Wings fans here look like the crybabies. I've never seen fans whine and obsess more about a single player in my life.

Given the other topic here that's on top of GD, I imagine the next topic about Crosby is how he takes a s***.

I suspect there is a significant segment of the NHL fan base that finds the NBA style of marketing somewhat distasteful in the sport of hockey which is - and always has been - about team play first (for better or worse). The perception from many fans of Crosby is that he is the Canadien version of the spoiled whining NBA player that is self-centered and ego-centric.

If you judge by one game, over 40 people are suddenly marketable.

I can't say I agree with half the s*** Bettman or the league does, but it's insane how irrational Wings jealousy of Crosby is.

Look around - its not just the wings. Many hockey fans don't like him and it has nothing to do with his ability, but the falseness or maybe ineptitude of the NHL marketing which pisses people off. You really don't get that?

Guest Shoreline
I suspect there is a significant segment of the NHL fan base that finds the NBA style of marketing somewhat distasteful in the sport of hockey which is - and always has been - about team play first (for better or worse). The perception from many fans of Crosby is that he is the Canadien version of the spoiled whining NBA player that is self-centered and ego-centric.
Look around - its not just the wings. Many hockey fans don't like him and it has nothing to do with his ability, but the falseness or maybe ineptitude of the NHL marketing which pisses people off. You really don't get that?

I don't understand this falseness you're talking about.

He sells more jerseys than anyone else, sells tickets not only in Pittsburgh but other venues. That right there makes him not only marketable, but he's a marketing force. He's a product to be sold and because his product sells that's all that matters.

There are correct things to compare to the NBA, like the rule changes and interpretation of physical play, but Crosby is the very definition of team player. Ovechkin is the guy who rarely passes and does the excessive celebrations, remember. Not that I don't think that's ok for the NHL, but one cannot point to Crosby when Ovechkin is right there doing dances after goals and s***.

I agree that Malkin isn't marketable. However, Ovechkin is much more marketable, more fun to watch, and plays with emotion. All Crosby does is skate around the goal in the offensive zone looking for pucks, dive, and whine. I watched a little bit of last night's game and noticed on two different power plays that Crosby was on the ice for the entire 2:00. I don't see Crosby killing penalties, forchecking, backchecking.

The NHL gushes over this guy and discusses whether he is perfect or not. Yes, the author came to the conclusion that he's not perfect, yet. But the thing that still pisses me off is that an NHL staff writer is discussing on the front page of NHL.com whether or not someone is perfect. Gimme a break!

The NHL should pick a few guys from around the league that are exciting and fun to watch. I just don't understand why they are focusing nearly all of their advertising on one guy.

Crosby is perfect! I know because the media tells me so :rotflmao:

NBC Nothing But Crosby

I have nothing against him, he is a great player. Don't know if he is really Captain worthy? I just don't like media folks to tell who is great. I have my own mind and can make decisions for my self.

Today he is on 3 out of 4 front pages about pens vs. canes on nhl.com, and Malkin scored a hat trick and was voted #1 star.

Edited by Jocke

im guessing stick envy.

as a pens fan, i would rather sid be known for hoisting the cup a few times, but the fact is he IS marketable and has also CLEARLY earned some of his accolades (see stats).

I guess having him force fed to you all the time would get old (if he isnt on your team), much the way i AM SICK of hearing about tom brady and the Patriots ha ha.

having said that......... i have never seen fans from other cities spend more time obsessing over one person.

Crosby is perfect! I know because the media tells me so :rotflmao:

NBC Nothing But Crosby

I have nothing against him, he is a great player. Don't know if he is really Captain worthy? I just don't like media folks to tell who is great. I have my own mind and can make decisions for my self.

My issue isn't with the media, but more with the NHL. The media will do what it does, but the NHL shouldn't be exclusively pimping one player from one team.

im guessing stick envy.

as a pens fan, i would rather sid be known for hoisting the cup a few times, but the fact is he IS marketable and has also CLEARLY earned some of his accolades (see stats).

I guess having him force fed to you all the time would get old (if he isnt on your team), much the way i AM SICK of hearing about tom brady and the Patriots ha ha.

having said that......... i have never seen fans from other cities spend more time obsessing over one person.

See, that's the stuff I'm talking about. Malkin gets a hat trick and the NHL is still gushing over Crosby and how is "fingerprints" are all over the game.

Holmstrom + Canadian Heritage + A lot more skill = Crosby

Crosby + Forchecking + Backchecking - whining = Datsyuk

Crosby + Personality + Back\forchecking - whining = Ovechkin

See, that's the stuff I'm talking about. Malkin gets a hat trick and the NHL is still gushing over Crosby and how is "fingerprints" are all over the game.

Holmstrom + Canadian Heritage + A lot more skill = Crosby

Crosby + Personality + Back\forchecking - whining = Ovechkin

you + inane formulas = silly

but its all good....... good luck against the hawks and hope to see you in the finals

Guest micah

That game is fun.

Datsyuk - stellar team - 5 years +250% more playoff points this year = Crosby.

Franzen - ****** + bravery + strength + jaw - scoring prowess + steroids = Tony Twist.

Datsyuk has peaked. He's not going to get better. Sid might be the best forward in the game right now, and he's what, 21? 22?

Sid and Ovy deserve the accolades they get. They are phenomenal young players that the leage should be hyping. Datsyuk should not be compared to them, because when the dust settles, Ovy and Crosby will both likely be remembered as among the best the world has ever seen - Datsyuk, barring an explosion in his skillset, won't.

you + inane formulas = silly

but its all good....... good luck against the hawks and hope to see you in the finals

LOL

Good luck, likewise, a re-match would be fun. Tell Marc-Andre to be careful when he runs out onto the ice!

Ok heres another point I'm going to throw out there that sickens me. Now I'm not one who likes the "I've been a fan longer than you" argument, but something disturbing has taken place on NHL.com's poll's.

FAN POLL: WORTH REMEMBERING

Which 7-game playoff series is the greatest in NHL history?

1942 TOR/DET (Cup Final)

1979 MON/BOS (Conf. Final)

1986 CGY/EDM (Div. Final)

1994 NYR/NJD (Conf. Final)

2002 DET/COL (Conf. Final)

2009 WSH/PIT (Div. Final)

1942 TOR/DET (Cup Final):

11.40 %

1979 MON/BOS (Conf. Final):

11.31 %

1986 CGY/EDM (Div. Final):

11.21 %

1994 NYR/NJD (Conf. Final):

12.69 %

2002 DET/COL (Conf. Final):

22.31 %

2009 WSH/PIT (Div. Final):

31.07 %

Anyone watch SNL where Seth does his segment on Weekend Update called "REALLY?!"

Just because Cindy was in the game makes it better than 1986 Calgary / Edmonton? REALLY?!

Just because Cindy was in the game makes it better than 1979 Boston / Montreal's game 7? REALLY?!

Call me a homer but just because Cindy was in the game it makes it better than 2002 Wings / Av's? REALLY?!

One thing is clear, the leagues over promotion of Cindy Crosby, pussifying of the sport, and trying to tap the market like the NBA, has indeed aquired some new fans. It's obvious that whoever would vote for PITS/WASH as the greatest series in NHL history never watched a single game prior to the lockout.

I mean, give me a f*cking break! Sid/Ove match up was somehow more entertaining as a fan that 2002 Wings / Av's? Holy s***.

Ok heres another point I'm going to throw out there that sickens me. Now I'm not one who likes the "I've been a fan longer than you" argument, but something disturbing has taken place on NHL.com's poll's.

FAN POLL: WORTH REMEMBERING

Which 7-game playoff series is the greatest in NHL history?

1942 TOR/DET (Cup Final)

1979 MON/BOS (Conf. Final)

1986 CGY/EDM (Div. Final)

1994 NYR/NJD (Conf. Final)

2002 DET/COL (Conf. Final)

2009 WSH/PIT (Div. Final)

1942 TOR/DET (Cup Final):

11.40 %

1979 MON/BOS (Conf. Final):

11.31 %

1986 CGY/EDM (Div. Final):

11.21 %

1994 NYR/NJD (Conf. Final):

12.69 %

2002 DET/COL (Conf. Final):

22.31 %

2009 WSH/PIT (Div. Final):

31.07 %

Anyone watch SNL where Seth does his segment on Weekend Update called "REALLY?!"

Just because Cindy was in the game makes it better than 1986 Calgary / Edmonton? REALLY?!

Just because Cindy was in the game makes it better than 1979 Boston / Montreal's game 7? REALLY?!

Call me a homer but just because Cindy was in the game it makes it better than 2002 Wings / Av's? REALLY?!

One thing is clear, the leagues over promotion of Cindy Crosby, pussifying of the sport, and trying to tap the market like the NBA, has indeed aquired some new fans. It's obvious that whoever would vote for PITS/WASH as the greatest series in NHL history never watched a single game prior to the lockout.

I mean, give me a f*cking break! Sid/Ove match up was somehow more entertaining as a fan that 2002 Wings / Av's? Holy s***.

agreed..... and its cute you call him cindy

guys...are you kidding me? Who is honestly even comparable to Crosby?? The only players you can argue are Malkin and Ovechkin. When they say perfect they are referring to work ethic, skill, HEART. All of which he has more than everyone else. Stop knockin the guy because zetterberg and datsyuk arent getting any publicity. The kid is gunna lead us to The Cup the next 5 seasons. No reason to hate on him. He's a good guy. Quit being biased.

ps....you can have Hossa. How funny is it going to be that he left us for the stanley cup champs and then got beat by the PENS. HAHAHAHA

guys...are you kidding me? Who is honestly even comparable to Crosby?? The only players you can argue are Malkin and Ovechkin. When they say perfect they are referring to work ethic, skill, HEART. All of which he has more than everyone else. Stop knockin the guy because zetterberg and datsyuk arent getting any publicity. The kid is gunna lead us to The Cup the next 5 seasons. No reason to hate on him. He's a good guy. Quit being biased.

ps....you can have Hossa. How funny is it going to be that he left us for the stanley cup champs and then got beat by the PENS. HAHAHAHA

That game is fun.

Datsyuk - stellar team - 5 years +250% more playoff points this year = Crosby.

Franzen - ****** + bravery + strength + jaw - scoring prowess + steroids = Tony Twist.

Datsyuk has peaked. He's not going to get better. Sid might be the best forward in the game right now, and he's what, 21? 22?

Sid and Ovy deserve the accolades they get. They are phenomenal young players that the leage should be hyping. Datsyuk should not be compared to them, because when the dust settles, Ovy and Crosby will both likely be remembered as among the best the world has ever seen - Datsyuk, barring an explosion in his skillset, won't.

Hey, when you are done with your crystal ball can I borrow it?

Doubtful, considering the east is nowhere near the level of the west. The only team the Pens would have beat from the west playoffs was columbus. Even the first round ousted Sharks would have walked all over the Pens.

Oh and we don't need Hossa to win the cup, but we all know this is still a really sore spot for you so i forgive your modest attempt at trash talk in a effort to soothe that gaping wound.

Guest micah
Hey, when you are done with your crystal ball can I borrow it?

If you want, sure. It's not a crystal ball, though, it's an honest, unbiased prediction based on what I've seen of each of those 3 players so far in their careers.

Could Dats get progressively better over the next few years? Sure

Could Crosby or Ovy have a creer-ending or career-dampening injury? Sure.

Could Crosby or Ovy suddenly tank and become worse hockey players instead of better? Sure, I guess.

Might history remember Datas as being a better player than Crosby or Ovechkin? Doubtful. It's possible, but it ain't likely.

Edited by micah