• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hopjef

Anyone else have to work DURING the games?

Rate this topic

Just looking for others to sympathise with who have to work during game 6. I work a rotating schedule, and have been lucky enough to catch every game but 2 and now 6. 6 is a real pain since it's a potential clinch game.

How do you deal? I can check the score online, but that's about it...no TV, no Radio...

I work at a popular clothing store and I was on-call for work last night. Which usually means there is a 5% chance you will be working. Well guess what!!! Someone got tickets to the game and I got called in to replace whoever it was (I didn't ask). This is the second time in my 14 months of being employed there where I actually got called in. I was so pissed. And of course my shift was 5-10.

So this is what I did. My bf and I traded phones for the night so I ended up with his iphone. I was assigned to the fitting room for the night, which is a little cave basically and hidden from the managers. From there I had the live score on the screen of the iphone and put it in a drawer in the folding table. So I was literally staring at the scoreboard the whole time until a customer/co-worker came and then I would shut the drawer. The store closes at 9, and then we spend the rest of the night folding and re-organizing everything. So at about 8:50 I put in my headphones and listened to the rest of the game on the radio while I was folding. Then at 10 I got off and made it home for the third. It sucked, but I made it work. It really sucks that you have to miss game 6, but if you can pull off something like I did you could be okay.

Just looking for others to sympathise with who have to work during game 6. I work a rotating schedule, and have been lucky enough to catch every game but 2 and now 6. 6 is a real pain since it's a potential clinch game.

How do you deal? I can check the score online, but that's about it...no TV, no Radio...

Well, I had to work a video shoot during Game 7 against Anaheim, but thankfully, I had a fantastic person ( :P ) texting me game updates. Was able to catch the 3rd period on XM on the way home. If we go to 7 this time, I'll likely have to call on her for score updates again as I have a full day of shoots that day.

Edited by edicius

I work in EMS....

I watch the game while at work...

And if we get a call I usually ask the patient why they weren't watching the Wings game too and rag on em a bit :)

But of course I'm overall nice :)

If you want, you could PM your cell phone # and I'll text you updates.

Well, I guess I'm lucky enough to be able to score track...better off than some that's for sure. I'm still working on a way out of it, but can't call in sick when I'm not actually sick...plus...eveyrone would know what I was up to anyways...

You can also check with your cell phone provider by going on to your account online. I know Verizon and TMobile both have options where you can select to receive scores several different ways via text message. Either By goal, By Period, or Final score.

Nice feature.

UGH I have to work during game six. I work midnights... sucks during hockey season.

I use Slingbox on my laptop when I bring it into work or 97.1 the ticket. Im lucky that there are computers in all the offices I have to work out of and when I have to be mobile I have a radio in the car.

Also, I have my hockey buddy that will send me txt messages when I am away from the car or computer.

:D

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to work Game 6, and only have two days to negotiate a switch with someone, which at my job is a little difficult. I'll only miss the first period or so of Game 7, if it has to happen.

I'm really disappointed but I'm holding out hope someone will switch with me and I can watch Game 6.

I work weekends so any weekend games I get to watch at work. I run programs at a youth centre and all my kids are hockey fans so it's pretty easy to convince them to let me turn the channel away from Hannah Montana ;) . This year though they're our good look charms! Every game I've got kids to watch they've won. They're in AWE lol! Totally convinced that the Wings never lose, it's hilarious.

If by chance I can't watch a game (say we're on an outing) all I can say is thank GOD for my PVR. I just avoid everything that could spoil the score for me until I get home.

If by chance I can't watch a game (say we're on an outing) all I can say is thank GOD for my PVR. I just avoid everything that could spoil the score for me until I get home.

That's impossible for me to do...maybe if I worked till midnight I could hold off going anywhere on the internet...but all the way till 7am? I'd have to work in a coal mine...by myself...void of any electronic gizmo for that to work....

I DVR the games I have to work through and pray no one tells me the outcome. I'm glad I won't miss games six or seven for this series since I work with a jackass Penguins fan who ruined game four for me before I could get home and watch it.

i got you ALL beat.

im stuck in china and have been since game 6 of the ducks series.

Its a 12 hour time difference here from michigan so if the game starts at 730 pm there, its 730 am here. I have class until 8am - noon and 1 until 3 EVERYDAY. and in china, you simply cant miss class.

so basically what that means, is even IF i could get a streaming game on my computer - which i cant because here the internet isnt strong enough to have a streaming feed work - im in class and wont be able to watch it.

so what i tried doing was downloading torrent files (a LGW member graciously helped me out with this) but unfortunately, the chinese government prhibits certain files from being accessable because they literally dont want certain information available to its citizens.

which also means i cannot access Youtube.com here in china either because its completely blocked.

obviously, no tv here is broadcasting wings games either.

so im pretty much left with nothing except for what you guys give me here. it sucks, and its like torture. the best thing ive recently found is a site called fandome.com that the chinese government lets me access and forum members post their self made highlight clips so if im lucky someone will post a good 20 minute video of the game and so ill have someone download it for me so i can watch it without knowing the score and get at least a small feeling of the suspense that you get during playoff hockey.

ive been asking everyone and anyone for help with this but ive met 2 other americans here and needless to say most chinese students dont really know a damn about hockey.

if anyone knows a way they can send me a file of the wings game and i can watch the whole thing as if its live, please let me know. sorry for the long post.....but its the most depressing thing ive had to go through since finding out my ex was hooking up with goron suton.

i got you ALL beat.

im stuck in china and have been since game 6 of the ducks series.

Its a 12 hour time difference here from michigan so if the game starts at 730 pm there, its 730 am here. I have class until 8am - noon and 1 until 3 EVERYDAY. and in china, you simply cant miss class.

so basically what that means, is even IF i could get a streaming game on my computer - which i cant because here the internet isnt strong enough to have a streaming feed work - im in class and wont be able to watch it.

so what i tried doing was downloading torrent files (a LGW member graciously helped me out with this) but unfortunately, the chinese government prhibits certain files from being accessable because they literally dont want certain information available to its citizens.

which also means i cannot access Youtube.com here in china either because its completely blocked.

obviously, no tv here is broadcasting wings games either.

so im pretty much left with nothing except for what you guys give me here. it sucks, and its like torture. the best thing ive recently found is a site called fandome.com that the chinese government lets me access and forum members post their self made highlight clips so if im lucky someone will post a good 20 minute video of the game and so ill have someone download it for me so i can watch it without knowing the score and get at least a small feeling of the suspense that you get during playoff hockey.

ive been asking everyone and anyone for help with this but ive met 2 other americans here and needless to say most chinese students dont really know a damn about hockey.

if anyone knows a way they can send me a file of the wings game and i can watch the whole thing as if its live, please let me know. sorry for the long post.....but its the most depressing thing ive had to go through since finding out my ex was hooking up with goron suton.

suddenly i feel a lot better about my situation. I don't have any way to send you the full game...but I'm sure someone else may have those means....

if anyone knows a way they can send me a file of the wings game and i can watch the whole thing as if its live, please let me know...

You can always try torrents.

Edited by alowicious

You can always try torrents.

"so what i tried doing was downloading torrent files (a LGW member graciously helped me out with this) but unfortunately, the chinese government prhibits certain files from being accessable because they literally dont want certain information available to its citizens."

for game7 my g/f and i are going up to Boyne Mnt for vacation...we are going to have to stop somewhere to watch it 'if necessary'

Tuesday night I, and a couple of Wings fan co-workers, have to attend a "murder mystery dinner" as part of a evening activity of a week-long business meeting. I'm not a fan of such dinners to begin with, and needless to say I'm not really looking forward to this one!

Edited by Gizmo