• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TigerDan

Does anyone know of a Red Wings bar in Manhattan...

Rate this topic

.......where I can watch game 7 on Friday night?

My wife and I scheduled this trip weeks ago (before SCF schedule).

I'll be staying at Houston and 2nd Ave. I've already found a couple of sports bars nearby, but I was wondering if anyone knew of one where there would be plenty of Wings fans. As of right now, I know Bounce at 2nd Ave and 6th St. and Kelly's at Avenue A and 1st street will probably both show the game, but I don't want to be in a place with a bunch of people who don't care and have some frat boys get the bartender to change the game over to tiddlywinks on me.

Bump.

Please help. Anyone? :unsure:

TD, I'm afraid I can't help, but maybe my own Wings-Manhattan story will be an omen of good fortune for both you and the Wings tomorrow night.

It was 2002 and I had taken my son to NYC to celebrate his high school graduation. We were there over a weekend and the first game of the Western Conf Final against Colorado was played on that Saturday afternoon. My son and I figured we'd have to miss the game because of our sightseeing commitments, plus we were staying in Newark so getting back to the hotel for 3 o'clock was definitely not an option.

After a lot of fun that day, we were dog-tired coming out of one of the big museums around mid-afternoon. I spotted a little hole-in-the-wall sports bar and poked my head in. The Wings game was playing on one of the TVs and we were able to get two seats nearby. It turned out to be one of the most fun Wings games of all time, as Darren McCarty scored a hat trick on Patrick Roy and then high-fived his son Griffin in the hallway outside the locker room after being named first star.

The fact that we were hours from home, in a city that didn't care about the Wings or even about hockey at that point, yet were able to see such a great Wings victory made it a really special memory. I'm confident that even if you end up in a bar with no other Wings fans and the game on only one little TV set, you are still going to have a fantastic time and come away with a happy memory that will last forever. Report back!

I'll be staying at Houston and 2nd Ave. I've already found a couple of sports bars nearby, but I was wondering if anyone knew of one where there would be plenty of Wings fans. As of right now, I know Bounce at 2nd Ave and 6th St. and Kelly's at Avenue A and 1st street will probably both show the game, but I don't want to be in a place with a bunch of people who don't care and have some frat boys get the bartender to change the game over to tiddlywinks on me.

There is a bar called Lucky Mojos by Vernon and Jackson (in Long Island City) owned by some wings fans. I don't know how lively it'll be though.

Best bet for a good crowd who are into the game is probably ESPN sports zone in Times Sq, although It'll be packed.

You could try Stout on 33rd and 6th. (I might be headed there myself, not sure yet)

I'm going to be headed here :

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/croxley_ales/

if you want something closer to where you are staying.. try this :

http://nymag.com/listings/bar/bar-108/

Pens fan here, my wife and I were in NYC for Game 1 of last year's finals, and we watched the game at the Blue Moon Cafe, up on 1st Ave between 95th and 96th streets in the upper East side, very nice place, it is owned by a former junior Hockey player, mostly Rangers memorabilia, but there were very friendly to both the Pens and Wings fans that were in the house. Great Mexican food and plenty of TV's in the bar. Very nice place. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to check one of those places out. I don't think I'll be headed to the ESPN zone, though. All the ESPN Zones I've been at before seem too crowded and Times Square isn't quite our scene. Who knows, maybe we'll have a change of heart and head that way for the game, but those suggestions in the EV and LES seem more our speed.

We were planning on going to Coney Island during the day on Friday. I think I'll be so amped up for the game I won't enjoy it. I'll want to be getting back on the subway at like 5:00 because I'll be so on edge and ready to go. I'll probably go to the freak show and someone will end up paying me to scream at them about the Wings (or club me because I scream at them randomly).

I'm over in Jersey City, if you're stuck jump on a PATH train and take it to Journal Square, I'll meet you there, you're free to watch the game at my place. I'll not have a Wings fan left with nowhere to watch a game 7

Croxley Ales sounds great!

Heading there after work!!

I'm tired of wandering around Brooklyn looking for a place that has more than two TVs... That's willing to keep that game on.

(Which ain't gonna happen tonight because of Mets v. Yankees and 14 other interleague baseball games.)

Edited by e_prime

I'm Manhattan for the weekend and will be happy to meet any Red Wings fans in NYC for the game tonight. ESPN Zone up in Time Square will be the best place to watch it but I'd rather hit a true Wings bar if there is one...

Croxley Ales sounds great!

Heading there after work!!

I'm tired of wandering around Brooklyn looking for a place that has more than two TVs... That's willing to keep that game on.

(Which ain't gonna happen tonight because of Mets v. Yankees and 14 other interleague baseball games.)

I think Croxley Ales is the ticket!

I just arrived and we decided not to go to Coney Island today....I'm too jacked up to do anything worthwhile there. I checked out a place called Kelly's Sports Pub that was right across Houston from where I parked. It looked like a nice place, but small. Checking Croxley Ales out on line, it looks like I can walk there in about 10 minutes.

I'll be seing you guys there. I'll have a Tigers hat on (sorry, don't have any Wings gear....the Stevie Y jersey is being washed from wearing it the last two weekends at game 1 and Tigers game/Hockeytown Cafe for game 5). I'll look for the Wings fans.

LET'S GO RED WINGS!!!!