Mule-Flip-Hossa

Abdelkader-Helm-Leino

Maltby-Draper-Kopecky

Lidstrom-Rafi

Kronwall-Ericsson

Lebda-Lilja

Osgood

Howard

This happened on my copy of NHL 09, so clearly it must be possible. Holmstrom retired along with McCarty and Downey. I traded Stuart for a couple of prospects and got rid of Meech.

I think Homer is just tired and beat up. Maybe it was just the post-season but he seems to be declining every year. His style of play has to catch up with him. I traded Stuart for no reason other than Ericsson's overall jumped up huge and I wanted room for Hossa.

Yeah and going to detroit was a MUCH BETTER IDEA. Thanks for taking our trash. Hossa helped you lose the cup! Thank you!

Silly Penguin fan... winning the Stanley Cup is much larger than some petty issue with Hossa.

Yeah and going to detroit was a MUCH BETTER IDEA. Thanks for taking our trash. Hossa helped you lose the cup! Thank you!

You=idiot.

Hossa would not have won this year if he played in Pittsburgh. With his contract the team would have lost Orpik and would not have been able to sign Kunitz in the offseason. They might have let go of other assets to acquire wingers and it would have seriously hampered the team's progress.

Detroit WAS his best option for a cup.

I can certainly see why some would say Huds and Sammy will probably be gone especially with Helm and Leino waiting for a full time gig...

As far a Flip goes, he plays well when he has good people around him, a winger or 2 that can shoot the put at the net, if they cannot keep Hossa then they need to get someone who can shoot and is not afraid to, Flip is a good setup man but does not shoot the puck enough and does not look good when on a line w/o a superstar goal man.

Same thing was said about Dats.

I know it. People seem to forget that. Hossa has the ability to score in the playoffs, he's proved it before. last year he put up 26 points in 20 games. In '01-'02 he had 10 points in 12 games and in '02-'03 he had 16 points in 18 games. So he obviously has the ability to do it. I'm glad they are trying to resign him

Maltby and Draper are tying us down. Without them, and with Lilja not coming back:

2009-2010 Detroit Red Wings

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Marian Hossa $4,000,000

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

Jiri Hudler $1,015,000

Ville Leino $875,000

Justin Abdelkader $850,000

Darren Helm $599,444

Mattias Ritola $511,666

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Ty Conklin $500,000

ROSTER SIZE 20

BONUS MONEY (0.3% of cap) $165,000

SALARY CAP $56,700,000

PAYROLL $56,305,654

CAP ROOM $394,346

EDIT: I realize their salaries do not come off unless traded. I also realize there is NO way we trade them. This year is going to be tight. After next year, Holmstom, Maltby and Lidstrom come off the books.

Edited by Turretin

Why are you assuming Lilja isn't coming back? He played well enough and cheaply enough to be a far better alternative to Lebda on the third pairing.

I'd like to have him back. Basically, this is the only way to get under cap and keep Hudler. Also, haven't heard great things about his health.

Maltby and Draper are tying us down. Without them, and with Lilja not coming back:

2009-2010 Detroit Red Wings

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk $6,700,000

Henrik Zetterberg $6,083,333

Marian Hossa $4,000,000

Johan Franzen $3,954,545

Valtteri Filppula $3,000,000

Daniel Cleary $2,800,000

Tomas Holmstrom $2,250,000

Jiri Hudler $1,015,000

Ville Leino $875,000

Justin Abdelkader $850,000

Darren Helm $599,444

Mattias Ritola $511,666

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom $7,450,000

Brian Rafalaski $6,000,000

Brad Stuart $3,750,000

Niklas Kronwall $3,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson $900,000

Brett Lebda $650,000

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood $1,416,666

Ty Conklin $500,000

ROSTER SIZE 20

BONUS MONEY (0.3% of cap) $165,000

SALARY CAP $56,700,000

PAYROLL $56,305,654

CAP ROOM $394,346

EDIT: I realize their salaries do not come off unless traded. I also realize there is NO way we trade them. This year is going to be tight. After next year, Holmstom, Maltby and Lidstrom come off the books.

I highly doubt we'll go with only a 20 man roster ...

The Wings lost by a goal. A post. An inch to the right. A whiffed puck. The smallest possible margin between the winning and losing team in a sporting championship. And they did it even though they were a team utterly devastated by injuries- with their top two players skating injured the entire round, one of which was gone for 4 games. Stop acting like you're some sort of prognosticating genius.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Wings blew a COMMANDING 2 - 0 series lead, Then blew 2 games straight after winning game five 5 - 0 with EVERYONE playing. Injuries are part of the game buddy. This is why I hate the Red Wings...They never lose to anyone, no one is ever better. It's always injuries or Crosby didn't shake my hand. YOU ARE SORE LOSERS AND YOU ARE SPOILED AS FANS. You are so used to winning all the time that you forgot what its like to lose and you weren't prepared for it. Well get used to it, cause the Wings are on the down turn. And....While you are mentioning close games, a cheating play whacking the goalie in the second round and it's the Ducks in the finals and not the cheating, clutching, grabbing, picking, covering the puck in the crease twice with no calls, Red Wings.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES. Wings blew a COMMANDING 2 - 0 series lead, Then blew 2 games straight after winning game five 5 - 0 with EVERYONE playing. Injuries are part of the game buddy. This is why I hate the Red Wings...They never lose to anyone, no one is ever better. It's always injuries or Crosby didn't shake my hand. YOU ARE SORE LOSERS AND YOU ARE SPOILED AS FANS. You are so used to winning all the time that you forgot what its like to lose and you weren't prepared for it. Well get used to it, cause the Wings are on the down turn. And....While you are mentioning close games, a cheating play whacking the goalie in the second round and it's the Ducks in the finals and not the cheating, clutching, grabbing, picking, covering the puck in the crease twice with no calls, Red Wings.

If you want to stay on this board with respect from other members, don't repeat s*** like this.

That play was legal.

LOL! This sounds like a lot of the stuff we were saying to you last season... You cannot deny Crysby's lack of professionalism both on and off the ice. Whacking the goalie in the second round, cheating? So, spearing Chris Osgood is legal? Dude, just enjoy your tainted Cup this summer, because another one of Bettmans kids will get their turn before you get back to the finals. (if ever) BTW, if you hate the Wings so much, THEN GET THE f*** OFF OUR FORUM! You don't see us in the pathetic pens forums do you? Bye Bye! There is nothing you can say to convince us that Bettman didn't help you by recinding the instigator to Malkin, thus NOT resulting in his suspension for game three in which he Wings would've won, now what, little boy? You have your Cup, just like Anaheim, Carolina & Tampa, enjoy it, it'll be your last. To me there was nothing impressive about it. You beat us by 1, one, uno, ONE goal in game 7. You almost gave up the tying goal with mere seconds remaining. Your so-called captain was exposed for the whiney, crying, diving little ***** that everyone thought he was! 3 points?!?!? 3 points!?!?! I spit at that! If it wasn't for Bettman, you'd be the one talking about losing in 5 games, because if Malkin doent play game 3, we come home up 3 games to 1. We're over it, we are used to being screwed around, we are used to losing once in a while, but you are so used to losing, someone gives you a bone, you think the Pens are the only NHL caliber team out there and the rest belong in the AHL. Go home, go suck each other dicks on your pens forum, and tell each other how omnipotent your team is, how everyone else is on the downturn and Pit will win the remaining Stanley Cup until the end of times. Every dog has their day and even fat chicks get laid once in a while, so Pit got their cup, a tainted one at that, enjoy it, you and the other 34,999 pens fans...

Sorry to feed this troll, but I had to.... This guy doesn't even qualify as a troll...

BTW, this wasn't even a thread about the Penguins, how the frick did this sub-troll turn it into one? You lose CupChumps77, Wings will have at least 2 more Cups before Pit gets back to the finals! Say Goodbye to Scudari! Don't be bitter, be like Sid and take it in the s***ter!

Edited by LeftWinger

LOL! This sounds like a lot of the stuff we were saying to you last season... You cannot deny Crysby's lack of professionalism both on and off the ice. Whacking the goalie in the second round, cheating? So, spearing Chris Osgood is legal? Dude, just enjoy your tainted Cup this summer, because another one of Bettmans kids will get their turn before you get back to the finals. (if ever) BTW, if you hate the Wings so much, THEN GET THE f*** OFF OUR FORUM! You don't see us in the pathetic pens forums do you? Bye Bye! There is nothing you can say to convince us that Bettman didn't help you by recinding the instigator to Malkin, thus NOT resulting in his suspension for game three in which he Wings would've won, now what, little boy? You have your Cup, just like Anaheim, Carolina & Tampa, enjoy it, it'll be your last. To me there was nothing impressive about it. You beat us by 1, one, uno, ONE goal in game 7. You almost gave up the tying goal with mere seconds remaining. Your so-called captain was exposed for the whiney, crying, diving little ***** that everyone thought he was! 3 points?!?!? 3 points!?!?! I spit at that! If it wasn't for Bettman, you'd be the one talking about losing in 5 games, because if Malkin doent play game 3, we come home up 3 games to 1. We're over it, we are used to being screwed around, we are used to losing once in a while, but you are so used to losing, someone gives you a bone, you think the Pens are the only NHL caliber team out there and the rest belong in the AHL. Go home, go suck each other dicks on your pens forum, and tell each other how omnipotent your team is, how everyone else is on the downturn and Pit will win the remaining Stanley Cup until the end of times. Every dog has their day and even fat chicks get laid once in a while, so Pit got their cup, a tainted one at that, enjoy it, you and the other 34,999 pens fans...

Sorry to feed this troll, but I had to.... This guy doesn't even qualify as a troll...

BTW, this wasn't even a thread about the Penguins, how the frick did this sub-troll turn it into one? You lose CupChumps77, Wings will have at least 2 more Cups before Pit gets back to the finals! Say Goodbye to Scudari! Don't be bitter, be like Sid and take it in the s***ter!

When I started this post, I thought to myself "Oh no, not another conspiracy guy" but I have to agree somewhat with you about the Pens. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't make it back to the SCF for a couple years or so. They figure to have some major depth losses to free agency and Malkin's salary cap hit will be more than significant. Im not so sure about the conspiracy stuff.......I usually don't subscribe to that s***..........but your post gave me the best laugh I've had all day. Funny s*** dude. GO WINGS!!

The Wings did blow this series and there are too many fans making excuses, but the 2nd half of your post was complete B.S.

Not one bit of it was true or made any sense.

Except that you'd still be about 3 million over the cap if you did that (got rid of Sammy and Hudler and signed Hossa for $5m). Do the math: http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php. Remember, you have to sign a backup goalie and you have to replace whoever you get rid of with players that are at least earning the league minimum. Even with that, your millions of dollars over the cap. Who are the "etc" people that are expendable beyond Sammy, Hudler, Kopecky?

Basically, to get Hossa signed, we're going to have to trade someone good or someone(s) is going to have to retire, in addition to getting rid of UFA/RFAs. I'd love it if Homer and Draper retired, but neither is likely to do so. The organization almost certainly won't trade them and so where does that leave us? Trade Flipper, who just had a monster playoff? Trade Cleary (same deal)? Holland already said that the defensive corps is set.

My point is, everyone needs to crunch numbers before saying it's just a matter of getting rid of some UFA or RFAs to sign Hossa. It's not. There's likely going to be some pain involved, beyond just signing someone to a long, expensive contract who just showed that when the pressure is the greatest, he cannot really deliver. No Steve Yzerman or Hank Zetterberg, this one.

Great post. I've said this same thing over, and over, and over again, and nobody seems to listen. Its going to take more than just "lose Sammy and Hudler and we're golden!" Glad someone else isn't flying off the handle about this. And its also nice to see someone recognize that our veteran players aren't going anywhere unless they themselves decide to.

Great post. I've said this same thing over, and over, and over again, and nobody seems to listen. Its going to take more than just "lose Sammy and Hudler and we're golden!" Glad someone else isn't flying off the handle about this. And its also nice to see someone recognize that our veteran players aren't going anywhere unless they themselves decide to.

Gee, why won't Ken Holland listen to you? Why is he still talking with Hossa's agent? Why aren't you the GM?

Oh, he's great at it and you'd probably suck. Got it.

Gee, why won't Ken Holland listen to you? Why is he still talking with Hossa's agent? Why aren't you the GM?

Oh, he's great at it and you'd probably suck. Got it.

Will you kindly put your foot in your mouth?

He never said that Kenny wasn't making the right choices. He was saying that the people here don't know what they are talking about.

Will you kindly put your foot in your mouth?

He never said that Kenny wasn't making the right choices. He was saying that the people here don't know what they are talking about.

You are right- he didn't say that there. However, the fact that Kenny is still talking with Hossa's agent validates us thinking about what we will do when/if we sign Hossa. Saying people are "flying off the handle" for actually thinking Kenny is debating this is just ridiculous. I am willing to assume Kenny knows what he's doing. That's enough for me. Being talked down to like I don't know anything because I think an NHL GM understands the salary cap is just dumb. Especially one with Kenny's track record.

You are right- he didn't say that there. However, the fact that Kenny is still talking with Hossa's agent validates us thinking about what we will do when/if we sign Hossa. Saying people are "flying off the handle" for actually thinking Kenny is debating this is just ridiculous. I am willing to assume Kenny knows what he's doing. That's enough for me. Being talked down to like I don't know anything because I think an NHL GM understands the salary cap is just dumb. Especially one with Kenny's track record.

He can correct me on this, but when he says "flying off the handle" he speaks in regards to expectations on who will be lost to free agency to keep him.

A lot of people are saying that Detroit only needs to get rid of one or two players to keep Hossa.

He can correct me on this, but when he says "flying off the handle" he speaks in regards to expectations on who will be lost to free agency to keep him.

A lot of people are saying that Detroit only needs to get rid of one or two players to keep Hossa.

Possibly, and that would piss me off a lot less than the endless parade of "let's trade this player who has a NTC" threads we see, but I'm not worried about the dumbasses among us.

My point is that we can keep Hossa. It may not be the best idea- I dunno- but it can be done, and I am tired of peopel talking liek it is a statistical impossibility. If I jumped down the wrong person's throat, I do sincerely apologize (I had him mentally pegged for this, but after the playoff run, I could have been thinking his views on how to develop our GR players was spot on- the playoffs always f*** me up...) so take my response not to him but the crowd at large.

Thats for putting out the fire, Doc. And yes, you have it right.

When I said "flying off the handle", I was insinuating that the majority of folks on this board are ready to welcome Hossa back with open arms so quickly, that they haven't stopped to realize that its going to take more than Sammy, Hudler, and Kopecky to keep Hossa at 4M. That says nothing about Kenny Holland, but everything about the folks on here who are acting as if this is merely an exchange of Hudler and Sammy for Hossa.

Hank(6.1) - Datsyuk(6.7) - Homer(2.25)

Mule(4) - Filppula (3) - Hossa (4)

Cleary (2.85) - Helm(.6) - Leino(.5)

Draper(1.583) - Maltby(.88) - Minimum Wager(.5)

Minimum Wager(.5)

Lidstrom (7.5) - Raffi (6)

Kronwall(3) - Stuart(3.75)

Ericsson (.9) - Lilja(1.2)

Lebda(.65) - Meech(.5)

Osgood (1.4)

Howard(.71)

Total: 59.073

1. In this scenario, Leino takes a 375k paycut, which is unlikely to happen, but for the purpose of showing an instance where the Wings could cut corners...

2. At best in terms of salary, Lilja goes on LTIR next year, and Detroit gains 1.2M in cap space. If Lilja is healthy, then again, in terms of salary, Lebda would have to be traded, which I doubt would happen considering he only makes 150k more and is a significant upgrade over Meech.

In short, AT BEST, if Lilja goes on LTIR and Leino takes a paycut, with Detroit cutting Sammy, Downey, Mac, Chelios, and Kopecky, and trading Hudler, then you're looking at 57.873 in salary. And thats assuming if Lilja starts the season on LTIR, that he stays on LTIR. And last but not least, this is with Hossa taking 4M, not 5M.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Your scenario is also with dumping Conklin for Howard, a move that no one I know of thinks is a good one.

Howard is contracted for less than Conklin was signed for. I'm simply putting together the roster that would be hypothetically be cheapest, as I can't see Conklin signing for a paycut, when he has warranted a pay raise.