• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Systemfel

2009 NHL Entry Draft GDT

Rate this topic

I retract what I said earlier. Pit didn't get Mike Lee. They traded their pick to Phoenix who took him. Not that anyone probably paid attention, but in case someone did, I wanted to set the record straight.

Who is Mike Lee?

Who is Mike Lee?

Folks up here are quite hot on him. Here's the story:

Michael Lee

North American Goalie

Fargo, USHL

Final Rank: 4 Midterm Rank: 3

Position: Goalie Catches: Left

Height: 6' 1" Weight: 185

Born: October 5, 1990

Born in: Fargo, ND, USA

• In 2008-09, Lee posted a 26-15-4 record, including three shutouts, with a 2.40 goals-against-average and a .918 save percentage. His win total and save percentage ranked second among USHL goaltenders.

• He was the recipient of the Dave Peterson Goalie of the Year, a coveted award for USA Hockey members.

• The native of Roseau, Minnesota helped the U.S. Junior Select Team capture a tournament title at the 2008 World Junior ‘A’ Challenge while also being named to the All-Tournament Team after recording a perfect 4-0-0 record and a 2.00 goals-against average.

Question...

Generally speaking, are we Wings fans usually upset with their picks that turn out to be Franzen and Filppula? I'm just trying to gauge on whether or not this excitement is fool's gold.

Question...

Generally speaking, are we Wings fans usually upset with their picks that turn out to be Franzen and Filppula? I'm just trying to gauge on whether or not this excitement is fool's gold.

Franzen was considered a joke pick -- unheard of and 24 years-old.

Flip was decently well-received.

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Callahan, Mitchell - RW - Kelowna WHL

Mitchell Callahan / Kelowna Rockets WHL

RW-R / 5-11, 175 / 17-Aug-91

Skating: 50 / Skill: 40 / Sense: 40 / Compete: 65 / Tough: 75

Strengths: Excellent fighter. Fearless style and works hard. Just enough skating and skill to be interesting.

Weaknesses: Might not have the frame to play his style at the next level.

Who'd have thought the toughest guy from the Dub in this year's draft would be from Southern California? The rugged style and fighting ability is the big draw here. But has just enough skating and skill to make for an intriguing middle round sleeper.

Great on-ice work ethic. Is strong defensively and a decent penalty killer. Lots of improvement from September to March this season. I think there could be some hidden offensive upside. Even if his best case upside is only a 5-10 goal scorer in the NHL, with the defensive play, physical style, and willingness to drop the gloves, that could be a really valuable guy to have.

Summary: I don't care that he's only 5-11, this guy can play it tough. I'd want to roll the dice on this guy with a late 3rd or a 4th.

Draft Day: Was previously listed as a late-91 birthdate, so he's gone under the radar a bit. But NHL teams have certainly noticed. There's a chance he goes shockingly early (2nd round isn't impossible). Otherwise I think he might be a middle rounder.

I question the author's overall draft and talent analysis but it is something on him...

I love the drafts! Right now people are like, "who is this kid? There's no info on him at all!", then 5 years later people are saying, "Damn, Holland and Co. are freaking gods to find these guys!"

Our future is bright!

Sound's a bit like Kocur to me... Probably not as powerful but similar.

I was just joking about Lilja since they mentioned he was a fighter. But now that you mention it, he is really more Kocur-like.

John Tavares has the personality of a bread crumb. Or Sidney Crosby.

:lol:

Pretty sure Abdelkader was a fan of the Wings. :hehe:

he was .. they had a photo of him in our local newspaper during the recent playoffs at 4 years old wearing a RedWings jersey ( I'm from the same hometown as Abby) and another thing ... Pens coach Dan Bylsma grew up 15 minutes down the highway from Muskegon.

Detroit drafted a fighter :D :D :D :D ...and I jizzed in my pants.

I thought they drafted two fighters. Or at least one fighter and one guy with a taste for fighting. I suggest you sleep all day tomorrow.

f*** yeah. We need our next Probbie or Kocur.

Not just that. He's got enough skill to play on the team. He's almost perfect for a fighter draft pick.

Future Grind Line of Julien Cayer-Some Center-Mitchell Callahan!!!

Edited by titanium2