• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

OFFICIAL: 12y, $62.4m makes Hossa a 'Hawk

Rate this topic

From Ottawa Sun :

The NHL is investigating whether Marian Hossa’s new 12-year, $62.8-million (all terms US) contract with the Blackhawks circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap, Sun Media has learned.

The ’Hawks could be facing a maximum fine of $5 million and the loss of draft picks if the league’s investigation uncovers proof of allegations that Chicago discussed the possibility of Hossa retiring before the end of the deal, which would end Hossa’s cap hit.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation in an e-mail yesterday, stating that league officials are concerned with the structure of the contract.

That's fairly old news.

From Sports Illustrated:

Source: NHL could void Hossa-Hawks contract

3 08:13 AM ET The NHL hasn't closed the books on the investigation into Marian Hossa's contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. But league sources have confirmed to Sun Media the consequences could be even stiffer than originally reported if the NHL decides that Hossa's new 12-year, $62.8 million contract circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap. While the NHL is a long way from closing the books on the investigation, the 'Hawks could face stiff measures if they are found guilty. A league source confirmed the ultimate punishment would be voiding the contract altogether if Chicago is found guilty.

Toronto Sun

From Sports Illustrated:

Source: NHL could void Hossa-Hawks contract

3 08:13 AM ET The NHL hasn't closed the books on the investigation into Marian Hossa's contract with the Chicago Blackhawks. But league sources have confirmed to Sun Media the consequences could be even stiffer than originally reported if the NHL decides that Hossa's new 12-year, $62.8 million contract circumvents the collective bargaining agreement and the salary cap. While the NHL is a long way from closing the books on the investigation, the 'Hawks could face stiff measures if they are found guilty. A league source confirmed the ultimate punishment would be voiding the contract altogether if Chicago is found guilty.

Toronto Sun

If the contract is voided what are the real ramifications? Would Hossa be allowed to renegotiate a new contract with the Hawks? Would the Hawks even be allowed to hold contract talks with Hossa? Or would Hossa have to negotiate with a new team? Does anyone know what would happen?

If the contract is voided what are the real ramifications? Would Hossa be allowed to renegotiate a new contract with the Hawks? Would the Hawks even be allowed to hold contract talks with Hossa? Or would Hossa have to negotiate with a new team? Does anyone know what would happen?

First, I would get some popcorn...

First, I would get some popcorn...

Well ya it would be pretty hilarious. Not jsut acuse it's Hossa and the Hawks, I don't really hold any ill will towards them, but I find that sort of uncovered scandal sort of thing funny. Personally I think that we'd all be a little nieve to think that these types of retirement discussions weren't held in a lot of these career contracts (especially this one that has Hossa beign 42 or so when he retires).

I don't think anyone can "Force Hossa" to play out the contract, they would have to put some form of clause that states Chi has to pay all of his contract. Because a team violated the rules (potentially) doesn't mean they can force the player to pay the repercussions. If he gets a career ending injury next season how would that work out.

I have a feeling the league will wait until about mid season when the fervor has died down and hockey is going on they will probably release on of the two statements:

1. The league was unable to find any intentional wrong doing but we are taking this opportunity to look at the contract rules and negotiation tactics.

OR you will hear this from the League:

If the league voided Pronger's contract, it would be a benefit to Phily... that contract itself is punishment enough (cap hit pretty much guaranteed to be on the books until Pronger is 42, whether he is playing or not).

Edited by egroen