• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wings_Dynasty

IMO, we need a center

Rate this topic

Here's how I see it, assuming we sign Hudler and Sammy.

Z-Dats-Homer

Franz-Flip-Sammy

Cleary-Draper-Helm

Maltby-???-Leino

Right? Or something like that. Unless Babs intends to give Cleary the 3rd line and have Draper center the 4th, we still end up one winger short.

What are our options in GR and who can we pick up cheap for a 3rd / 4th line role???

Here's how I see it, assuming we sign Hudler and Sammy.

Z-Dats-Homer

Franz-Flip-Sammy

Cleary-Draper-Helm

Maltby-???-Leino

Right? Or something like that. Unless Babs intends to give Cleary the 3rd line and have Draper center the 4th, we still end up one winger short.

What are our options in GR and who can we pick up cheap for a 3rd / 4th line role???

Did you even watch the playoffs? Helm played 3rd line center in basically every game. The team has centers.

helm is a centre. so is abby if need be. leino also is a centre/wing. no worries.

I think Helm's speed would be wasted at center. He is the most dangerous on the wing IMO. I think Abracadabra isn't quite ready yet, in fact, Leino may not be ready, but I think he is closer than Abby.

I think we need a vet to hold that spot and mentor Leino/Abby this season, like Hull did with Pavel and Z.

U. Dumb.

- Leino = 2nd/3rd line winger

- Helm = 3rd line center

- Cleary in the 2nd line over Sammy

- Huds is not gone yet

- Draper probably 4th line center

U. In dreamland.

- Leino- rookie. They don't go on the second or third lines on a Red Wings team. Watch any game after 1997.

- Helm- yes, can center the third line, but will not over Draper. He could play wing on the 3d line, but not center it.

- Sammy is useless wthout a playmaker giving him the puck. Who does that on the 3rd line. Bab's has him on the point during the PP and you think he will move him down for Cleary...

- Yes, Huds is not gone...yet. I am guessing he ain't coming back, so I picked either Sammy or Rex to stay. Babs likes Sammy.

- Draper could center the 4th line, assuming we sign someone else to either center the 3rd line or play winger on the 4th.

Did you even watch the playoffs? Helm played 3rd line center in basically every game. The team has centers.

Yes. And filling in for injury in the playoffs is different than having your own line all season.

I think Helm's speed would be wasted at center. He is the most dangerous on the wing IMO. I think Abracadabra isn't quite ready yet, in fact, Leino may not be ready, but I think he is closer than Abby.

I think we need a vet to hold that spot and mentor Leino/Abby this season, like Hull did with Pavel and Z.

Just stop talking...you sound dumber every time

U. In dreamland.

- Leino- rookie. They don't go on the second or third lines on a Red Wings team. Watch any game after 1997.

- Helm- yes, can center the third line, but will not over Draper. He could play wing on the 3d line, but not center it.

- Sammy is useless wthout a playmaker giving him the puck. Who does that on the 3rd line. Bab's has him on the point during the PP and you think he will move him down for Cleary...

- Yes, Huds is not gone...yet. I am guessing he ain't coming back, so I picked either Sammy or Rex to stay. Babs likes Sammy.

- Draper could center the 4th line, assuming we sign someone else to either center the 3rd line or play winger on the 4th.

Yes. And filling in for injury in the playoffs is different than having your own line all season.

Ah yes, he will.

He did in the playoffs, all the more reason to suggest he will during the regular season.

Compare the ice-time of the two in the playoffs, clearly Babcock values Helm over Draper at the respective stage of their careers.

U. In dreamland.

Leino will probably see third and fourth line time with PP time here and there like Hudler to teach him checking/defense. I don't see any hegemony in the Wings locker room that would indicate a rookie couldn't center a line over a veteran. Draper is a career checking line center and right now Helm has potential to be more than that.

U. In dreamland.

Leino is a pure offensive talent. He won't take a 2-way deal anymore, so if Wings re-sign him he won't be on the 4th line. Cleary is better offensively than Sammy, he proved that he can be a top 6 forward in the playoffs. The only reason he's on the point is that he's a right-shooter.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Just stop talking...you sound dumber every time

Blow me.

Ah yes, he will.

He did in the playoffs, all the more reason to suggest he will during the regular season.

Compare the ice-time of the two in the playoffs, clearly Babcock values Helm over Draper at the respective stage of their careers.

I know this, but Helm was a replacement for an injured player. He was not on the team, he wasn't playing over Kopecky, he was a replacement. Yes, he had a GREAT playoffs and one day may be a great player, but he (right now) is a one dimensional player (speed). There is a lot to centering a line, he is the face and, generally, the playmaker of the line. I could be wrong and end up looking like a fool, but he hasn't shown that he is ready.

U. Dumb.

- Leino = 2nd/3rd line winger

- Helm = 3rd line center

- Cleary in the 2nd line over Sammy

- Huds is not gone yet

- Draper probably 4th line center

Right on.

Hank - Dats- Homer

Franzen - Fil - Cleary

XXX - Helm -

XXX - Draper - Maltby

thats roughly what they are looking at before signing Leino or Hudler. Then you have Abby in GR.