• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dominator2005

Chris Neil re-signs with Sens

Rate this topic

Chris Neil is contemplating three solid offers and will make his decision shortly.

The New York Rangers offered a four year deal to Neil, averaging $2.3 million per season, while the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs have both tabled three year offers to the Toronto native.

Sources say while the Rangers have made the most substantial bid, the veteran forward is weighing the appeal of staying in Canada which is making his decision more difficult.

Earlier in the week, Neil reportedly turned down the Senators' offer of $1.7-million per year.

Neil, 30, tied a career-low with ten points and set a career-low with a minus-13 in 60 games last season.

The 6-foot-1, 214-pound right winger can still mix it up, however, getting in 14 fights last season; his highest total since 2002-2003.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283465

Guest E_S_A_D

Holland must've had a tee time today for 27 holes of golf...

Here's some of the quotes you can expect on his lack of getting ANYTHING done so far.

"We have a solid core here, we're happy with our players, the cap limits us". BS! Kenny, get creative!

Guest Shoreline

Wasn't gonna happen. He wanted too much, and his style of play and points put up is not what the Wings are seeking, especially for the price he will demand.

Kenny didn't pull the trigger on a day people are overspending on talent. Of course, people want instant gratification, so between the I-luv-enforcers people and the ZOMG-DO-SOMETHING-RIGHT-NOW-KENNY people, gonna be lots of bitching, moaning, whining. I prefer the fact that he's being patient and looking for the right players+prices.

Edited by Shoreline

Figures...

As much as I would have loved to see him here, as well as others, Holland has been making the right moves today. It's very easy to suggest trades and talk about stuff like this, but without inside information we won't know what happens behind closed doors...

I have a feeling that this year we will be staying put, but make a medium sized move at the trade deadline. However, in 2010 I think the Wings will be big players in free agency...

Figures...

As much as I would have loved to see him here, as well as others, Holland has been making the right moves today. It's very easy to suggest trades and talk about stuff like this, but without inside information we won't know what happens behind closed doors...

I have a feeling that this year we will be staying put, but make a medium sized move at the trade deadline. However, in 2010 I think the Wings will be big players in free agency...

You right, you can't only think for only the next year but your a bigger winner if you think about the long run then the short one.

Holland will hold fast till hudler is figured out, then MAYBE might make a move. I think we will play till the trade deadline, and when teams are desperate for a trade, Holland will choose a good deal to plug a hole or juice the team up a bit. We are good enough to play till the deadline even if a couple players are dragging the team down. If Homer or Drapes is hurting, they can go on the LTIR for the rest of the season, and then we can add players/salary for the playoffs to strengthen the team.

Guest Shoreline
How do you know Neil's style of play isn't what Holland is seeking?...Granted the offers he's getting will be more than what Holland is willing to pay, but then again is the team that much better off spending the same amount on Hudler?

I agree that there's alot of $$$ being thrown around, but what would you expect when there's a fair # of quality UFAs available?

While I tend to shrug my shoulders at stats, one cannot overlook the fact that Huds had almost 60 points this last season, compared to Neil's whopping 10. This stands out as much as the difference in their style of play -- Hudler's better matches the Wings' which shows by his output. The Senators are a skill team too and have been for several years now, with Neil's play looking like it doesn't really belong, despite him impressing fans from other teams. Huds may have had a rather absent playoff season along with Dats, but it would be quite silly to suggest that Neil be taken over Huds for that price, or for any price at that.

If Neil would have taken more of a friendly salary to the Wings, like, well under 1 million, it might be worth it since the Wings can afford to scratch, or worse, if he f***s up or the team doesn't find him useful later. However, he is known for taking some bad penalties (the penalty difference between the two is night and day), which, while comes with the territory, adding more times shorthanded to an already horrible PK unit and removing an excellent power play scorer and PP/ES contributor is simply insane.

The only thing that attracts people to Chris Neil is the fact that he hits a lot, he fights, and it's entertaining. I really wish more who were vying for him would be honest and admit this, rather than just disingenuously disregard or dismiss Huds' talent and production based entirely on these last playoffs.

Edited by Shoreline

"We have a solid core here, we're happy with our players, the cap limits us". BS! Kenny, get creative!

But your quote is made up of three true parts. The only BS is you thinking you could do better, or that Holland should be able to.