• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

miller76

Joe Sakic announces his retirement

Rate this topic

From avalanche dot nhl dot calm

The Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club announced today that the organization will officially retire number 19 in honor of team captain Joe Sakic.

The club will raise Sakic’s number 19 in a special ceremony prior to the start of the club’s 2009-10 season opener against San Jose on Oct. 1 at Pepsi Center.

They may have announced this today or yesterday, but they were talking about this last week. I will be looking forward to this game.

It's amazing at the announcements that go on around the league are old news by the the time they announce them, hence the WC. We knew months before they publicly announced that.

No Messier, No Lemieux, No Yzerman, and now no Sakic, it's a sad time. The great captains of the past arent there anymore

Lidstrom probably won't be considered in the same category as those four no matter how much Stevie Y would probably argue otherwise. But I think with today's players he belongs in the great category. Zetterberg sets the example in terms of determination while Lidstrom sets the examples in regards to composure and confidence and without confidence you don't have anything.

I'm trying to think of some other ones but I couldn't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_curre...ernate_captains . Maybe Brind'Amour or Morrow but I'm not exactly a huge fan over any of the others on that list.