• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Jeremy Williams

Rate this topic

never seen him play, but look at who he had to learn from in Toronto. You can't expect someone to improve with the crap Toronto had to teach him

I don't think that's the case. The main flaw in his game has always been his disregard for skating hard when the play goes the other way. He has good hands, and a great shot, but when it comes time to defend, he floats.

An at comparison to Jeremy Williams is Kyle Wellwood, IMO (Williams with the better shot and Wellwood the better playmaker).

Questionable work ethic, little two-way play, soft players who toiled in Toronto but flat-out produced in the NHL in the games they played. Wellwood has done well in providing scoring from lower lines in Vancouver, and I think Jeremy Williams might do well in a similar role with Detroit (sort of a hudler-light), but with the depth Detroit has, I'm not sure Williams will have that much of a chance, barring a lot of injuries. As suspect as players like Jason Williams, Eaves and Bertuzzi can be, they still have a significant leg up on Jeremy Williams.

All-in-all, I am really pleased to see someone like Jeremy Williams with the Griffins. There is no doubt this guy can score in the NHL if called upon (last year he had 5 goals and 7 points in 11 NHL games), but hopefully the other (lacking) areas of his game can be worked on with the Griffins... and at the age of only 25, there is certainly a chance of that happening. He already has an elite NHL-level shot.

Living in the Toronto area I have seen a bit of Jeremy Williams and I do think there is some potential there. All of the criticism so far in this thread is warranted. I don't think we'll see Williams in a Red Wings jersey this season, or at least not more than a few games. The main criticism against Williams is his lack of defensive responsibility. However, in the Wings system he can hopefully learn and make the appropriate adjustments. If his attitude is right and he buys into the system, like so many others have before him, I think he would have a shot of getting some time with the big club next season (if he is resigned etc). The guy definitely has soem offensive talent and when he was called up with the Leafs he'd consistently be one of the strongest offensive threats in their lineup.

Living in the Toronto area I have seen a bit of Jeremy Williams and I do think there is some potential there. All of the criticism so far in this thread is warranted. I don't think we'll see Williams in a Red Wings jersey this season, or at least not more than a few games. The main criticism against Williams is his lack of defensive responsibility. However, in the Wings system he can hopefully learn and make the appropriate adjustments. If his attitude is right and he buys into the system, like so many others have before him, I think he would have a shot of getting some time with the big club next season (if he is resigned etc). The guy definitely has soem offensive talent and when he was called up with the Leafs he'd consistently be one of the strongest offensive threats in their lineup.

I love that Holland has given himself so many options for next year:

Jason Williams, Jeremy Williams, Bertuzzi, Newbury, Eaves -- all these guys are on one-year contracts, hopefully ensuring they work their asses off this year. Holland then has the luxury of re-signing the ones that have bought into the system and are working out, and letting the ones who did not pan out walk.

I love that Holland has given himself so many options for next year:

Jason Williams, Jeremy Williams, Bertuzzi, Newbury, Eaves -- all these guys are on one-year contracts, hopefully ensuring they work their asses off this year. Holland then has the luxury of re-signing the ones that have bought into the system and are working out, and letting the ones who did not pan out walk.

That's exactly it. Even add Andy Delmore and Doug Janik to that list. The thing to remember is that the Red Wings system is held to as high a standard in Grand Rapids as it is in Detroit. The guys like Nerbury, Jeremy Williams, Delmore and Janik have to buy into the system in the AHL if they ever want a sniff at the big leagues. This is a relatively risk free situation for the Red Wings. All of their prospects have appropriate spots on teams this coming year and putting this AHL vets in Grand Rapids gives them a chance to impress the big club.

Personally I think Jason Williams, and maybe even Bertuzzi, are really here for one year no matter what. I can't see Williams being resigned when we want Abdelkader in next years full time line up.

I really do think that if Jeremy Williams works on his defensive game and even brings it to a decent level we may one day see him in a fourth line role on the Red Wings but that's a stretch right now. We'll see how this season goes but I always liked him so I'm hoping for the best for this guy.

Williams scored tonight against Philly. So did Draper and Tardif for the 3-1 win. He looks pretty decent on the offense. Would like to see him in the future.

If only he wasn't a liability when he doesn't have the puck, he'd be a great addition to any team.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090917/SPOR...0499/1053/rss17

"Whether I'm in Grand Rapids or up here, I want to play defense first and the goals will come. I know the offensive side of the game. I know where to be. But it's on the defensive side that I gotta work and hopefully I can learn it here."

He's at least aware of his lack of defensive ability and knowing is half the battle (G.I.Jooee). You gotta give him credit for at least saying some of the right things. Let's see if he backs it up with his actions.

It's unfortunete that he seems to be in the same situation here as he was in TO. In fact here he might not get called up at all, we simply have to many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Still if he keeps scoring goals, it will be hard to ignore him.

He's at least aware of his lack of defensive ability and knowing is half the battle (G.I.Jooee). You gotta give him credit for at least saying some of the right things. Let's see if he backs it up with his actions.

Amen. That's a respectable statement by Williams.

It's unfortunete that he seems to be in the same situation here as he was in TO. In fact here he might not get called up at all, we simply have to many guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Still if he keeps scoring goals, it will be hard to ignore him.

I see plenty of potential,imo,he needs a few games under his belt so babs can get a few looks at him.

so if both Jeremy and Jason Williams were on the ice, what would the jerseys say?

They both can't have J. Williams. I wondered this about the Sedins. They use their first initial, but what if they both started with M for example?

Just something I was wondering about, because the other day I mixed up Jason and Jeremy.

so if both Jeremy and Jason Williams were on the ice, what would the jerseys say?

They both can't have J. Williams. I wondered this about the Sedins. They use their first initial, but what if they both started with M for example?

Just something I was wondering about, because the other day I mixed up Jason and Jeremy.

One has J. Williams on their jersey the other just has Williams. Right? Now if they had three that'd be a really dilly of a pickle.