• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tane

Winter Classic

Rate this topic

Why not Have the Winter Classic on boxing day? It gfollows the same logic that everybody's home watching TV anyways.....only the only thing to watch right now is Marshall vs. Ohio.

I'd say put the first Game at 1, second game at 4 and then You can still debut the Canadian WJC game at 7:30

It just feels like today SHOULD be a Bigger Sports day.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Either day would be great for me. New Years day is good though because it kicks off the new year with a fantastic outdoor game. I just really thought about this one that it should have been Boston and Washington or Montreal..

Either day would be great for me. New Years day is good though because it kicks off the new year with a fantastic outdoor game. I just really thought about this one that it should have been Boston and Washington or Montreal..

The NHL has expressed no interest in having Canadian teams in the Winter Classic because of NBC. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Guest ZetterbergFourty
The NHL has expressed no interest in having Canadian teams in the Winter Classic because of NBC. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I didnt know this, and yes this is pretty sad.

Well in any case, any team really would be better than Philadelphia.. jesus they suck. This game is going to be a blowout.

This is AO hating right here.. not having Washington in this game.

I didnt know this, and yes this is pretty sad.

Well in any case, any team really would be better than Philadelphia.. jesus they suck. This game is going to be a blowout.

This is AO hating right here.. not having Washington in this game.

It is more about the whole outdoor experience than the actual teams playing. You could play Carolina and Toronto outside and it would be fine for the "outdoor" experience. I do agree though, but everyone thought Philly would be good this year.

I agree that it should be today. The winter classic is good for hockey fans, but on New Years day it's gotta be tough to reach out to other sports fans. If it were on Boxing day the NHL wouldn't be competing with top teir college football bowls.

Maybe another day would be good, but New Year's Day is just as good as any. The Winter Classic doesn't compete with any bowl game, because the game is over at 3:30 or so and the Rose Bowl doesn't start until 4:30.

EDIT: I take it back, there are a couple games scheduled in that slot -- notably the Capitol One Bowl featuring Penn State, way to divide Philly's attention!

Edited by Heroes of Hockeytown

I agree that it should be today. The winter classic is good for hockey fans, but on New Years day it's gotta be tough to reach out to other sports fans. If it were on Boxing day the NHL wouldn't be competing with top teir college football bowls.

Yeah A LOT of college football action that day. Wings are not in the WC so I will most likely be switching back and forth. Depending on how interesting the game is.

Guest Lidstromboli

bump

the game is today and i haven't seen a single ad for it on tv the past couple of days

bump

the game is today and i haven't seen a single ad for it on tv the past couple of days

Really??

I have seen soo many ads for it... granted I have NHLnet and have been watching the Juniors, and there literally is not a commercial break where they don't play an ad for it. I feel like I have been beaten over the head with it, and the game seems soo meaningless compared to last year. I will be watching anyways, providing I wake up in time.

It was never intended to be a slam against Canadians, but the target audience was definitely Americans. The nhl have come to a conclusion that Americans would be less likely to watch if it was two Canadian teams playing, versus two American teams playing with a large following.

And I like the thought of it being on New Years. The World Juniors belong on Boxing Day. That is much more of tradition then this WC game.

Guest Lidstromboli

i don't get the nhl network, i only have basic cable

you'd think nbc would promote it more on their own network :confused1:

i don't get the nhl network, i only have basic cable

you'd think nbc would promote it more on their own network :confused1:

I don't know what market your in, but all I see is the Chara and Pronger commercial walking through a tunnel and ending up outside. That commercial seems to be on every 5 minutes.

Guest Lidstromboli

then again the buckeyes dominate everything here and the rose bowl is today

Guest CaliWingsNut
It was never intended to be a slam against Canadians, but the target audience was definitely Americans. The nhl have come to a conclusion that Americans would be less likely to watch if it was two Canadian teams playing, versus two American teams playing with a large following.

And I like the thought of it being on New Years. The World Juniors belong on Boxing Day. That is much more of tradition then this WC game.

I doubt the NHL decided that one. More likely NBC saying they can market it as long as it's US teams. It also matches up with the rumor that good ole Gary whispered earlier of a US (NBC) and Canadian (CBC) dual winter classic next year.

I doubt the NHL decided that one. More likely NBC saying they can market it as long as it's US teams. It also matches up with the rumor that good ole Gary whispered earlier of a US (NBC) and Canadian (CBC) dual winter classic next year.

Well it's obvious the NHL is heavily influenced by their partners that bring in the money. I am wondering how much control the NHL has over who plays in the game. It's most likely up to NBC.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Looks like there will be plenty of streams available for today's game.... I like.