• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redeyedwings

Loyalty questions for Canadian Wings fans

Rate this topic

It's an interesting question. I am cheering for Canada, but I was also kind of cheering for Sweden since that team has so many great Wings, including our captain.

The one good thing about how things have unfolded is that all of the Wings players will come back to Detroit in the same sour mood, with the possible exception of Rafalski. They'll all be hungry to get back to winning right away.

Bottom line for me -- I will always cheer for Canada, even with some major Wings nemeses on the team. The fact the team is run by Wings (Yzerman, Babcock and Holland) sure doesn't hurt, tho.

So I'm old school, and here is what it comes down to for me to remain a fan of a team:

1. Play with heart and passion as much as you can muster.

2. Play with sportsmanship and grace in winning and losing.

3. Play as a team.

4. Play with elegance and skill

If the Wings, or hockey in general, loses these qualities, then syonara.

By this definition, I'm an American hoping for Team USA, but my nationality has nothing to do with it. I pull for the team that exhibits my criteria. This year its USA, last Olympics it was Sweden.

Edited by clutchngrab

As an American I'm having trouble not cheering for the best player to ever play the game in Sidney Crosby.

The guy plays the game with such grace and intelligence it's just breath taking.

That said, I'll be happy with either result on Sunday for this very reason.

get a room already!!! hahaha

Out of curiosity say the game was tied 2-2 and there was less than a 10 seconds left and Crosby strips the puck from someone and scores so Canada wins gold. Your basically saying you would sit there, wouldn't high five anyone cheer that Canada has won because it was Crosby that scored the winner? I just want to confirm your level of hatred for him.

As for a Canadian, I cheer for my country and those who wear the jersey. I may not like all the players in the NHL but I can separate my feelings from that as this has absolutely nothing to do with the stanley cup or the Detroit Red Wings. I don't care for Crosby either, but if he scored like I mentioned above and we won... then f*** ya i would cheer.

Exactly. I despise Kane with such a passion, but if I see him streaking up the boards for the game winner, you can bet I will be out of my seat praying for him to score. And if he does, Kane is my hero for a day.

Then on Monday I can go back to hating him.

No loyalty questions for me.

It's the name on the front, not the name on the back when it come to winning.

I've always disliked Brett Hull but when he was on the Red Wings I cheered and hoped for his success and the same goes for Team Canada.

So I'm old school, and here is what it comes down to for me to remain a fan of a team:

3. Play as a team.

By this definition, I'm an American hoping for Team USA, but my nationality has nothing to do with it. I pull for the team that exhibits my criteria. This year its USA, last Olympics it was Sweden.

You would actually stop hoping for the Wings? I couldn't not hope for the Wings if we had 24 Avery's on our roster. It kinda looks like you hope for the winning team dude. Sweden last Olympics. USA this one. Are you faultering as a Wings fan because they are playing poor and effortless hockey these days?

3. Play as a team.

Good for you. Canada has some of the worst s***bags in the NHL on their team so screw em.

I am reminded of a Herb Brooks quote: " The name on the front is a helluva lot more important than the name on the back." I am following, basically, that same principle as I'm cheering for the leaf on the front, regardless of the name on the back. Although I am not a huge fan of some of these players while they're playing for the individual NHL teams, when they put on the Canadian jersey, I forget all previous feelings towards them and focus on how they are helping/hindering my national team.

Exactly. I despise Kane with such a passion, but if I see him streaking up the boards for the game winner, you can bet I will be out of my seat praying for him to score. And if he does, Kane is my hero for a day.

This. 100 percent.

It's not just Kane. I'm sure we'll see a lot of "Brian Burke is the best GM in the world!" headlines.

I didnt read the whole thread so i don`t know if this has been said but I cheer for the logo on the front not the name on the back so come Sunday afternoon after Perry, Pronger, Crosby all score goals in gold medal victory I can go back to hating their guts soon after !

I understand the "logo on the front, not name on the back" message. But how much pride can you feel in a logo if it's represented by a moron? Theoretically speaking, of course. It's like, yeah, I get it, it's about winning, but not everyone that wins does so with honor.

I understand the "logo on the front, not name on the back" message. But how much pride can you feel in a logo if it's represented by a moron? Theoretically speaking, of course. It's like, yeah, I get it, it's about winning, but not everyone that wins does so with honor.

I'm a Canadian first. Everything else second. I can't understand how anyone else in this country can feel differently.

My first reaction to the goal was "YEAHHH.. Crosby... s***....hell with it... YEEAAHHHHH."

Had a Hard time rooting for Canada. I still did, but, if they woulda lost, can't say that I owulda been heartbroken. too many players that I flat out don't like on that team. the only thing that really pulled me that way was the fact that Yzerman, Babcock and Holland were key figured to put them together. Truth be told, there's more players on the US, Russia and Swedish teams that I like more than the Canadians.

Either way, glad we won, glad for the managment. glad for the 14 golds, and what it does for Canada.