• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Carman

Olympic Gold Medal TV ratings

Rate this topic

Hockey Night in America: Gold Medal Game Draws 17.6 Overnight

Hockey drew NFL-like ratings on NBC Sunday.

The Canada/USA Olympic Men's Hockey Gold Medal game drew a 17.6 overnight rating on NBC Sunday afternoon, up 46% from the '02 Gold Medal game, which featured the same two teams.

Overnight ratings for the 2006 Gold Medal game were unavailable.

Sunday's game is on pace to finish as the highest rated hockey telecast in the United States since 1980.

To put the numbers in perspective, Sunday's game drew a higher overnight rating than every World Series game since 2004 (including every game of Yankees/Phillies last year), every NBA Finals telecast since 1998, and every NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four game since at least '98.

Excluding the NFL, the 17.6 overnight for the game is the second-highest of the year for any sporting event, behind only the Texas/Alabama BCS National Championship Game in January (18.2).

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2010/...medal-game.html

Great news for the sport!

Guest mindfly

But..but.. arent there like 360million of ya'll ? that's only like 4-5% of the population

But..but.. arent there like 360million of ya'll ? that's only like 4-5% of the population

Who cares how many people there are? The key is that the ratings are some of the best America has seen in all of *sports* in recent history. That's all that matters.

Thats pretty impressive, I wish you could see broken down numbers. I mean, you could almost put up those numbers with the northern states and an epic turnout ( which is still pretty cool ), but I am really wondering if there was an upswing in viewers in all these areas Bettman insists on shoving hockey... the Floridas, Californias and such.

The weather was great here yesterday, sunny and mid 50's, so I went riding instead.

We stopped when one of the guys crashed, and all the sudden my buddie's cell phone rings in the middle of the forest; it's his wife calling to tell him it was 2-1 early in the 3rd (quarter she said!).

I recorded the game and will watch it after sunset sometime this week.

Guest Four
Curious... were there any Canadian figures released??

We set a new Canadian record with the prelim game, the gold one has got to be through the roof here.

Curious... were there any Canadian figures released??

From TSN :

Sunday's gold medal Men's Hockey game has become the most-watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers.

Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million). The game aired live on nine television networks in eight languages via Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

"Crosby scores! Sidney Crosby! The golden goal! And Canada has once-in-a-lifetime Olympic gold!," called play-by-play announcer Chris Cuthbert as Canada clinched its record-breaking 14th gold medal. "These Golden Games have their crowning moment."

Yea I had a couple friends over to watch the game, one guy missed the opening faceoff, so he came over during the 1st intermission. He said while he was driving over, the streets were deserted.

This is an understatement, Canadian's love their hockey!

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

id imagine the canadian percentage would be high. everyone on my facebook status was like "watching the game".

Yea I had a couple friends over to watch the game, one guy missed the opening faceoff, so he came over during the 1st intermission. He said while he was driving over, the streets were deserted.

It was ghost town out there! Imagine if they had lost?

It was ghost town out there! Imagine if they had lost?

Truth is, except possibly Montreal, very little would have happened. Frankly, we have suffered some pretty epic loses... ours inst a nation that burns down its cities after winning/losing at sports, nor like the Koreans, do we call in bomb threats!

That said, the actions after the Jays won back in the 90s was a bit shameful and a bit of a blackmark.

And I always heard hockey was going down in popularity in Canada because of the growing immigrant population, which is mostly from Asian countries that don't care about hockey?

And I always heard hockey was going down in popularity in Canada because of the growing immigrant population, which is mostly from Asian countries that don't care about hockey?

I wouldn't be surprised that hockey is going down in popularity in Canada, but I doubt immigration has anything to do with it.

Hockey is suffering in Canada as a matter of apathy, much the same as in most northern states I would imagine. We, to a man, hate Bettman and what he is doing to the NHL. I honestly have never met another soul in Canada who was even mildly sympathetic towards Bettman and the changes he has made to the NHL. Beyond that, I think the strike pissed a lot of Canadians off, and the fact that it seemingly resolved nothing as really alienated a lot of fans ( again, much of this can be place at the feet of Bettman ).

Finally, and given their impact in the market its not suprising, but the death of Leafs nation sure isn't helping. Frankly, for the first time in about 40 years, Leafs fans are waking up and realizing that they have been getting it up the hoop without lube and are finally not going to games as a result, which while this is a very good thing, given the power of the Leafs, has a very negative impact on Canadian hockey in general. Lastly, the ongoing blocking of Basillie to bring in another team, isnt helping motivate people. A great many Canadians do feel like they are being pushed out of their own sport by a weaselly little f*****, which frankly, isn't far from the truth.

Thats pretty impressive, I wish you could see broken down numbers. I mean, you could almost put up those numbers with the northern states and an epic turnout ( which is still pretty cool ), but I am really wondering if there was an upswing in viewers in all these areas Bettman insists on shoving hockey... the Floridas, Californias and such.

tvbythenumbers