• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Blaayze

Blaayze

Summer... wakeboard... can't wait.

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

but... but... what about "DoUbLE DiON"!?!?!?!?!?!

I kid, I kid, yes he is an over-rated bag of used pucks.
Posted Image

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,948 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

It's really too bad for Calgary that they had to endure both Phaneuf and Bouwmeester go totally downhill in performance.

Phaneuf, for whatever reason, has over the last two seasons (this one included) become lazy and generally careless. He no longer plays with the same intensity and he no longer produces. To boot, he's a locker room cancer. How does this translate into him doing differently on any other team?

Whatever reason? :blink:

Posted Image

There's your reason wise guy. :cool:

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 April 2010 - 12:51 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,519 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

I can see why peers would think Phaneuf is overrated, however, a player poll if someone is overrated is not really proof they are, especially when they vote for Sidney Crosby. I've followed the guy since he was in juniors, his game in the last few seasons has dropped off a bit, not exactly sure why, but he is still a top 2 defenseman, has a hell of a shot, is a great passer (especially first/outlet pass) and is always a threat to knock someone's head off. The kind of chip on his shoulder and game he has is, in fact, something the Wings could use.

As others have mentioned, I always look at it from the perspetive of how someone is rated. I think you can be the best player in the world and still be overrated.

#24 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

If you are the future of the franchise and then you are traded away for 3rd liners because your ego has ripped apart a dressing room and you can't even lead by example on the ice yet still get credit as an allstar by the media because of random blips of decent play, you might be overrated.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#25 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

If you are the future of the franchise and then you are traded away for 3rd liners because your ego has ripped apart a dressing room and you can't even lead by example on the ice yet still get credit as an allstar by the media because of random blips of decent play, you might be overrated.

So he's a loser for life because he ripped apart a weak locker room? That's silly.

If he was that bad in the locker room, then that is more a symptom of a weak locker room.

As Shoreline and I mentioned, he has a lot of tools and a mean streak when properly motivated. All it will take is the right situation or organization. Calgary and Toronto offer neither, imo.

Edited by Broken 16, 05 April 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#26 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

So he's a loser for life because he ripped apart a weak locker room? That's silly.

If he was that bad in the locker room, then that is more a symptom of a weak locker room.

No, he's not a loser for life but he is one right now. He needs to get his s*** together and play like he was supposed too. It's not exactly a weak locker room when the only person who actually likes you is the coach. I'm sure it wasn't that bad but still you don't need that s*** when you are trying to play hockey.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#27 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:01 PM

No, he's not a loser for life but he is one right now. He needs to get his s*** together and play like he was supposed too. It's not exactly a weak locker room when the only person who actually likes you is the coach. I'm sure it wasn't that bad but still you don't need that s*** when you are trying to play hockey.

Hockey is not a sport where players can just 'be great' whenever they feel like it. There are a ton of factors (team mates, coaches, expectations, pressure, etc, etc,...). Sure some dudes can be great no matter what. You know who they are.

Like I said, I blame the Calgary locker room for most of that crap. The locker room is obviously s***... look where they are right now. I'm sure Phaneuf made his fair share of mistakes, but I would welcome him with open arms to the Wings.

#28 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:05 PM

I'm not surprised that Phaneuf is on there but I am surprised by some other choices. To me guys like Redden, Gomez and Horcoff are more over paid by idiot GMs than overrated.

I think Phil Kessel is more overrated considering what Toronto gave up to get him. Some might disagree but I think Evgeni Nabokov has got to be the most overrated goalie in the league and consistently gets a pass because he plays for San Jose.

#29 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

I'm not surprised that Phaneuf is on there but I am surprised by some other choices. To me guys like Redden, Gomez and Horcoff are more over paid by idiot GMs than overrated.

I think Phil Kessel is more overrated considering what Toronto gave up to get him. Some might disagree but I think Evgeni Nabokov has got to be the most overrated goalie in the league and consistently gets a pass because he plays for San Jose.

I watch a lot of Toronto and I wouldnt say Kessel is overrated. He has nothing to work with at all really except Bozak recently and still night in and night out is consistently getting scoring chances. Kessel really looks like the best player out there regardless of who they are playing.

I would say Redden is overrated though.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#30 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:31 PM

Hockey is not a sport where players can just 'be great' whenever they feel like it. There are a ton of factors (team mates, coaches, expectations, pressure, etc, etc,...). Sure some dudes can be great no matter what. You know who they are.

Like I said, I blame the Calgary locker room for most of that crap. The locker room is obviously s***... look where they are right now. I'm sure Phaneuf made his fair share of mistakes, but I would welcome him with open arms to the Wings.

I honestly think i can say you are 1 of few. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it would only hurt our team.

I watch a lot of Toronto and I wouldnt say Kessel is overrated. He has nothing to work with at all really except Bozak recently and still night in and night out is consistently getting scoring chances. Kessel really looks like the best player out there regardless of who they are playing.

I would say Redden is overrated though.

They did give up a lot though.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

And, in what was referred to on HNIC as "one of the worst kept secrets" (if it does happen), he will be named the captain in Toronto for next season.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

From Toronto Star :

Since he arrived in town, the speculation has been that Dion Phaneuf would be the Maple Leafs’ next captain and coach Ron Wilson, essentially, said that would indeed be the case during an interview Tuesday on a Toronto radio station.

“We would have to make a mega-deal to bring the greatest captain of all time in order to not name Dion the captain,” Wilson told radio station Fan 590.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:25 AM

The top five most overrated players in the League at each position:

Forwards:
Scott Gomez
Thomas Vanek
Sean Avery
Rick Nash
Corey Perry

Defensemen:
Sheldon Souray
Mike Green
Ed Jovanovski
Dion Phaneuf
Barret Jackman

Goaltenders:
Roberto Luongo
M.A. Fleury
Jonathan Quick
J.S. Giguere
Cam Ward

Don't know how Horcoff and Redden made that top-five overall list. Horcoff is a good second line center playing on a first line, possibly a bottom-tier first line center, and that's exactly what people think of him. Redden was a solid top-end two-way defenseman, and still has those kinds of skills but for some reason is only playing at the level of a 2nd/3rd defenseman. Still, if Nick were to retire and he were a UFA this coming summer, I wouldn't mind picking him up if he'd take $4m or less. However, he's signed through 2014 at a $6.5m hit. Now if the Rangers were to buy him out...that would be ideal; they would pay him basically $2m per season to go away, and the Wings could sign him at a much lower number than he makes now.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."