• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#121 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

If we're going after another Russian then I'd like to get Alexander Radulov. He did pretty well in the Olympics.

well we'd have to wait for him to play out the remainder of his Nashville contract that he left for the KHL, or we could trade for him. But I would rather not give up anyone and sign frolov...if we re-sign lids + bert + helm + abs + eaves + miller time I think our lineup would have great depth (scoring on the top three lines just like 08).

if frolov is signed:

huds - Z - mule
fil - dats - frolov
bert- helm - eaves
cleary - abs - miller/ritola
draper

otherwise:

huds - Z - mule
fil - dats - bert
cleary- helm - eaves
ritola- abs - miller
draper

lids - raffi
big rig - krons
kindl - stuart
lilja

howie
oz

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#122 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:59 PM

If we were to get Kovalchuk this is how I'd set up the PP units

ZDH
Kovalchuk-Lidstrom

Hudler-Filppula-Franzen
Rafalski-Kronwall

:scared: That would be sooo sick. PUHLEASE Nick, take a hefty discount and get on the phone with Pav and Hank to sway Ilya over here!!

#123 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:10 PM

Do.Not.Want Kovalchuk in a salary cap world!

Do.Not.Want a one and a half line team!

Do.Not.Want a team with weak defense! (see Capitals)

Kovalchuk will make the team worse, not better. - This is a salary cap world. Good teams have two solid top line, which we do; good teams have solid defense, which we do; good teams have solid depth on the bottom 6 that can chip in on the score sheet; which we need! - That's where the money needs to be spent - the bottom six (after Lidstrom is re-signed)

Thanks, but no thanks to Kavalchuk!

#124 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Do.Not.Want Kovalchuk in a salary cap world!

Do.Not.Want a one and a half line team!

Do.Not.Want a team with weak defense! (see Capitals)

Kovalchuk will make the team worse, not better. - This is a salary cap world. Good teams have two solid top line, which we do; good teams have solid defense, which we do; good teams have solid depth on the bottom 6 that can chip in on the score sheet; which we need! - That's where the money needs to be spent - the bottom six (after Lidstrom is re-signed)

Thanks, but no thanks to Kavalchuk!

Do you honestly believe Kovulchuk wouldnt help this team? Kovalchuk, if he were to take around $6 million per year, would be GREAT in the cap world, considering the cap is probably going to keep on growing. The guy will be 28 next year so I would have no concerns if we signed him to a 8-10 year deal. He's a right handed shot, would be wonderful on the powerplays. Pure goal scorer, would be awesome with Pavel Datsyuk.

He would also help our bottom six considerably.

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen
Helm-Filppula-Hudler
Eaves-Abdelkader-Miller

Pretty damn solid if you ask me.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 11 May 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#125 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

lol

Posted Image

#126 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,986 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

dream team :)

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / * kovalchuk ($4.500m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)
Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.250m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m)
* Darren Helm ($0.599m) / * Mattias Ritola ($0.511m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
* Nicklas Lidstrom ($3.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Volchenkov ($2.250m) / * Andreas Lilja ($1.250m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.790m; CAP ROOM: $0.010m BONUSES: $0.000m

#127 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Do you honestly believe Kovulchuk wouldnt help this team? Kovalchuk, if he were to take around $6 million per year, would be GREAT in the cap world, considering the cap is probably going to keep on growing. The guy will be 28 next year so I would have no concerns if we signed him to a 8-10 year deal. He's a right handed shot, would be wonderful on the powerplays. Pure goal scorer, would be awesome with Pavel Datsyuk.

He would also help our bottom six considerably.

Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen
Helm-Filppula-Hudler
Eaves-Abdelkader-Miller

Pretty damn solid if you ask me.

I doubt Bettman (or the NHL) will tell Detroit that it will be okay if they play a season with $3 million over the cap space.

And that's assuming Kovalchuk will sign for under $7 million. Which I think isn't going to happen. I think he's going to go where the money is... that could be the KHL.

I also think Lidstrom is looking for Rafalski money ($6 million).... but lets assume he re-signs for $5 million for arguments sake. Wings are still $2.8 million over cap.

Kovalchuk ($7)-Datsyuk ($6.7)-Holmstrom($1.5) = 15.2
Cleary(2.8)-Zetterberg($6.1)-Franzen($4) = $12.9
Helm(1.2)-Filppula($3.0)-Hudler(2.9) = $7.1
Eaves($1.2)-Abdelkader($1.2)-Miller($1) = $3.4
Ritola ($.775)

Total $39.5

Lidstrom($5)-Ralfi($6)
Kronwall($3)-Stuart($3.7)
Lilja($1)-Ericsson($.900)
Meech($500)

Total $20.1

$59.6

Cap $56.8

Over $2.8 million

#128 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

I doubt Bettman (or the NHL) will tell Detroit that it will be okay if they play a season with $3 million over the cap space.

And that's assuming Kovalchuk will sign for under $7 million. Which I think isn't going to happen. I think he's going to go where the money is... that could be the KHL.

I also think Lidstrom is looking for Rafalski money ($6 million).... but lets assume he re-signs for $5 million for arguments sake. Wings are still $2.8 million over cap.

Kovalchuk ($7)-Datsyuk ($6.7)-Holmstrom($1.5) = 15.2
Cleary(2.8)-Zetterberg($6.1)-Franzen($4) = $12.9
Helm(1.2)-Filppula($3.0)-Hudler(2.9) = $7.1
Eaves($1.2)-Abdelkader($1.2)-Miller($1) = $3.4
Ritola ($.775)

Total $39.5

Lidstrom($5)-Ralfi($6)
Kronwall($3)-Stuart($3.7)
Lilja($1)-Ericsson($.900)
Meech($500)

Total $20.1

$59.6

Cap $56.8

Over $2.8 million

My whole argument was that Ilya Kovalchuk would help this team tremendously and that his presence would make our forwards much deeper. You claimed that he would not help us and would make us a one and a half line team.

My original statements were based on Kovalchuk taking a 10 year contract at about 6 million, and Nick taking a hefty discount. Please do not put aside my main statements to help make your argument.

Is it probable that we sign Kovalchuk? No. Nick and Homer would have to make some serious sacrifices. However, to say that he would not help our team and that his cap hit, at around 6 million would not work in the cap world when he's worth around 8, is assinine.

#129 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

We don't need another 6k+ long term contract.

I don't want the Wings to turn into the New York Rangers or Tampa Bay Lightning.

#130 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

We don't need another 6k+ long term contract.

I don't want the Wings to turn into the New York Rangers or Tampa Bay Lightning.

They wont unless the start giving 7-8 million plus to second tier players like those clubs did. Kovalchuk is 28 and elite.

#131 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

My whole argument was that Ilya Kovalchuk would help this team tremendously and that his presence would make our forwards much deeper. You claimed that he would not help us and would make us a one and a half line team.

My original statements were based on Kovalchuk taking a 10 year contract at about 6 million, and Nick taking a hefty discount. Please do not put aside my main statements to help make your argument.

Is it probable that we sign Kovalchuk? No. Nick and Homer would have to make some serious sacrifices. However, to say that he would not help our team and that his cap hit, at around 6 million would not work in the cap world when he's worth around 8, is assinine.

You quoted my "Do.Not.Want Kovalchuk" post. I didn't read the thread. I didn't read your $6 million proposition for Kovy along with Lidstrom taking a hefty discount. Therefore, your original post has no relevance to mine. I'm not living in the same fantasy world. I'd rather use a logic instead.

Using logic, in a salary cap world, Kovalchuk would hurt this team. How? We will lose bottom 6 depth. Holland would need to trade Filppula for picks, trade Hudler and/or let the kids walk (kindl, Ritola, Helm, Abby).

Your proposition sound great for Xbox and PS3... but makes no sense in the real world.

Do.Not.Want.Kovalchuk.

#132 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

You quoted my "Do.Not.Want Kovalchuk" post. I didn't read the thread. I didn't read your $6 million proposition for Kovy along with Lidstrom taking a hefty discount. Therefore, your original post has no relevance to mine. I'm not living in the same fantasy world. I'd rather use a logic instead.

Using logic, in a salary cap world, Kovalchuk would hurt this team. How? We will lose bottom 6 depth. Holland would need to trade Filppula for picks, trade Hudler and/or let the kids walk (kindl, Ritola, Helm, Abby).

Your proposition sound great for Xbox and PS3... but makes no sense in the real world.

Do.Not.Want.Kovalchuk.

Or just not re-sign Holmstrom and Bertuzzi

#133 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

Or just not re-sign Holmstrom and Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi wasn't figured in your roster above. Holmstrom was, so I calculated him @ 1.5 mil. Which is pretty good for 20-25 goals. Without Homer, Wings are losing those goals and increasing the cap hit significantly with Kovalchuk's contract. Again, Loss of depth and loss of goals at the expense of one player. Which proves my original post; loss of depth.
Elite teams have depth; Contenders have depth; Wings need to focus on depth during the offseason.

Do.Not.Want.Kovalchuk!

Edited by Heaten, 11 May 2010 - 05:56 PM.

#134 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Bertuzzi wasn't figured in your roster above. Holmstrom was, so I calculated him @ 1.5 mil. Which is pretty good for 20-25 goals. Without Homer, Wings are losing those goals and increasing the cap hit significantly with Kovalchuk's contract. Again, Loss of depth and loss of goals at the expense of one player. Which proves my original post; loss of depth.
Elite teams have depth; Contenders have depth; Wings need to focus on depth during the offseason.

Do.Not.Want.Kovalchuk!

I don't know what kind of 'depth' you think we can get, or what it is you think we need. If it's secondary scoring, Helm, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader can do that just fine. And being RFAs, we can likely get them cheaper than other similar players. I don't know if you expect to somehow fill the 3rd line with 20 gosl scorers. Frankly we'll be fortunate to fill the top 6 with guys who'll put up 20+.

Homer will be a year older and hasn't played a full season 4 years. Hudler was good when he was here, but can he play on a top line and/or will he need to readjust to the NHL game? Bertuzzi, for all that everyone loves him after he ended the season with a couple good games, still only scored 18 goals this year. 6 more than Eaves, while playing 17 more games, a lot more minutes, a lot more PP time, and with a lot better linemates. Flip is very good, but not a goal scorer. Exactly what about any 3 of those 4 guys screams 'championship caliber top 6'? What could we really expect out of any of them on a third line?

If we could somehow squeeze 3-4 million in cap room, then add Flip or Hudler to that to get Kovy, we would be stupid not to. Of course, that's easier said than done. We'd need quite a few guys to sign friendly deals. Highly unlikely at best.

No doubt scoring depth is great. Especially great if we're plagued by key injuries. But getting that depth is even more unlikely than getting Kovy.

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / * Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Tomas Holmstrom ($1.250m) / * Darren Helm ($1.000m)
* Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Drew Miller ($0.800m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
* Mattias Ritola ($0.650m)
DEFENSEMEN
Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / * Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.500m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
* Andreas Lilja ($1.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $57.563m; CAP ROOM: $0.137m BONUSES: $0.000m

Perhaps unrealistic to hope for 9 guys to sign for a bit under market value.

If you think the above isn't feasible, then you spread some of Kovy's $6 around for raises, and you're left with basically just enough to keep Flip. How would that be better?

If you think my numbers are attainable, what would be a better way to spend that $6 mil? Upgrading the defense maybe. ($4m for Volchenkov to replace Lilja...I'd say yes to that.) Goalie? Debateable. Forwards? Flip + $3.8m FA or Kovy + Eaves/Miller. Maybe, maybe not.

Finally, my roster leaves either Cleary, Hudler, or Homer playing on the 3rd line. Even if we were to lose say Hudler and maybe Miller, replace them with cheap 4th liners to free up $2 mil+ for raises I'd still argue that it would be a damn good line up.

I just don't see how adding Kovy could ever be a bad thing. Maybe not the very best possibile, but not bad by any stretch.

#135 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:15 PM

I don't know what kind of 'depth' you think we can get, or what it is you think we need. If it's secondary scoring, Helm, Eaves, Miller, and Abdelkader can do that just fine. And being RFAs, we can likely get them cheaper than other similar players. I don't know if you expect to somehow fill the 3rd line with 20 gosl scorers. Frankly we'll be fortunate to fill the top 6 with guys who'll put up 20+.

Homer will be a year older and hasn't played a full season 4 years. Hudler was good when he was here, but can he play on a top line and/or will he need to readjust to the NHL game? Bertuzzi, for all that everyone loves him after he ended the season with a couple good games, still only scored 18 goals this year. 6 more than Eaves, while playing 17 more games, a lot more minutes, a lot more PP time, and with a lot better linemates. Flip is very good, but not a goal scorer. Exactly what about any 3 of those 4 guys screams 'championship caliber top 6'? What could we really expect out of any of them on a third line?

If we could somehow squeeze 3-4 million in cap room, then add Flip or Hudler to that to get Kovy, we would be stupid not to. Of course, that's easier said than done. We'd need quite a few guys to sign friendly deals. Highly unlikely at best.

No doubt scoring depth is great. Especially great if we're plagued by key injuries. But getting that depth is even more unlikely than getting Kovy.

FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / * Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.000m)
* Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m) / * Drew Miller ($0.800m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

If you think the above isn't feasible, then you spread some of Kovy's $6 around for raises, and you're left with basically just enough to keep Flip. How would that be better?

If you think my numbers are attainable, what would be a better way to spend that $6 mil? Upgrading the defense maybe. ($4m for Volchenkov to replace Lilja...I'd say yes to that.) Goalie? Debateable. Forwards? Flip + $3.8m FA or Kovy + Eaves/Miller. Maybe, maybe not.

Finally, my roster leaves either Cleary, Hudler, or Homer playing on the 3rd line. Even if we were to lose say Hudler and maybe Miller, replace them with cheap 4th liners to free up $2 mil+ for raises I'd still argue that it would be a damn good line up.

I just don't see how adding Kovy could ever be a bad thing. Maybe not the very best possibile, but not bad by any stretch.

You are a very optimistic person thinking we can get all those players to sign for that price. Even with this unrealistic salary proposition, it still costs DRWs key depth players to the point where 2009/10 Red Wings team look arguably superior. Where's Filppula? You have Holmstrom on the 3rd and 4th line? He can't play that role anymore, he's too slow. If he's not out there with skilled forwards to carry the puck in, he's useless. Holmstrom isn't going to produce 5v5 on the 3rd/4th line. Wings lost 18 goals in Bertuzzi and 20+ goals in Filppula... the depth is so thin that it makes me shutter to think we can make it out of the first round next year. Coyotes would have destroyed this roster.

I don't remember how many 5v5 goals Holmstrom scored this year, but lets say it was lucky number 7. So, Wings lost 45+ goals to be replaced by 41 goals from one guy. Plus Wings defensive forward depth (Filppula) is gone... Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Realistically, Kovalchuk is going to demand a hell of a lot more than $6 million. Lidstrom is likely to get Rafalski money ($6 million), Eaves and Miller are getting a raise if they stay. Holmstrom is probably going to get $1.5 - $2.0 mil per year. Holland isn't stupid enough to get rid of Filppula. Hudler isn't going to get traded, and Cleary has a NTC. There is no logical way Holland could get Kovalchuk unless Lidstrom retires and Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are let go. And if Lids retires, Holland's first priority is a high-caliber defenseman.

Kovalchuk would make this team worse if he signs here.

#136 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

You are a very optimistic person thinking we can get all those players to sign for that price. Even with this unrealistic salary proposition, it still costs DRWs key depth players to the point where 2009/10 Red Wings team look arguably superior. Where's Filppula? You have Holmstrom on the 3rd and 4th line? He can't play that role anymore, he's too slow. If he's not out there with skilled forwards to carry the puck in, he's useless. Holmstrom isn't going to produce 5v5 on the 3rd/4th line. Wings lost 18 goals in Bertuzzi and 20+ goals in Filppula... the depth is so thin that it makes me shutter to think we can make it out of the first round next year. Coyotes would have destroyed this roster.

I don't remember how many 5v5 goals Holmstrom scored this year, but lets say it was lucky number 7. So, Wings lost 45+ goals to be replaced by 41 goals from one guy. Plus Wings defensive forward depth (Filppula) is gone... Doesn't seem very logical to me.

Realistically, Kovalchuk is going to demand a hell of a lot more than $6 million. Lidstrom is likely to get Rafalski money ($6 million), Eaves and Miller are getting a raise if they stay. Holmstrom is probably going to get $1.5 - $2.0 mil per year. Holland isn't stupid enough to get rid of Filppula. Hudler isn't going to get traded, and Cleary has a NTC. There is no logical way Holland could get Kovalchuk unless Lidstrom retires and Bertuzzi and Holmstrom are let go. And if Lids retires, Holland's first priority is a high-caliber defenseman.

Obviously you just looked at the roster and didn't read the post. So I'll only bother to address the bolded portion.

That roster is the same as this year with the following changes:
Williams = Abdelkader
Maltby = Ritola
Bertuzzi = Hudler
Filppula = Kovalchuk

Every one of those moves is an upgrade. How is that 'losing depth'?

#137 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:50 PM

Obviously you just looked at the roster and didn't read the post. So I'll only bother to address the bolded portion.

That roster is the same as this year with the following changes:
Williams = Abdelkader
Maltby = Ritola
Bertuzzi = Hudler
Filppula = Kovalchuk

Every one of those moves is an upgrade. How is that 'losing depth'?

No, I looked at your salary chart, and that's the fallacy in your post. To sign a guy like Kovy while keeping Lidstrom means Holland would have to give up more than Filppula. Hudler would more than likely need to be traded for picks or prospects. Salary cap, ain't it a *****!

That said, Holland agrees with me. He stated today that our top 6 is set. If Lidstrom re-signs, our defense is good. The issue is our bottom 6 needs more grit and he will be looking to improve the 4th line.

#138 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:26 PM

This is what I'll never understand about Wings fans. Everyone seems to agree that Holmstrom would be useless on the third line but flame on me when I yell for him to be taken off the first line. Ifs hes not skilled enough to play 5on5 with the third line, then why is he good enough to play on the first?

Id honestly rather keep Bertuzzi for 1.5 than Homer. Homer is simply a powerplay specialist. Im tired of him dragging down our first line.

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

Heaton had issues with your salaries, but I actually think Helm, Eaves, Miller, and Ritola are a little high. In my mind if Miller wants .800, Id rather bring in someone else for 500k. Hes very replaceable. Homer will probably be around 1.5. I think Nick's is more than fair.

Also, if someones going to go between Filppula and Hudler to make room for someone else, its Hudler. And its not even an argument.

#139 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:27 PM

Kovalchuk can and will command $7m on the free agent market, assuming he does not go to play in the KHL for even more.

This is what I'll never understand about Wings fans. Everyone seems to agree that Holmstrom would be useless on the third line but flame on me when I yell for him to be taken off the first line. Ifs hes not skilled enough to play 5on5 with the third line, then why is he good enough to play on the first?

Id honestly rather keep Bertuzzi for 1.5 than Homer. Homer is simply a powerplay specialist. Im tired of him dragging down our first line.

Heaton had issues with your salaries, but I actually think Helm, Eaves, Miller, and Ritola are a little high. In my mind if Miller wants .800, Id rather bring in someone else for 500k. Hes very replaceable. Homer will probably be around 1.5. I think Nick's is more than fair.

Also, if someones going to go between Filppula and Hudler to make room for someone else, its Hudler. And its not even an argument.

Holmstrom is invaluable when he has people capable of cycling the puck and setting up good shots from the point or the circles. He is useless on a grinding line.

#140 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Kovalchuk can and will command $7m on the free agent market, assuming he does not go to play in the KHL for even more.

Holmstrom is invaluable when he has people capable of cycling the puck and setting up good shots from the point or the circles. He is useless on a grinding line.

Holmstrom is invaluable to Wings fans because of the emotional attatchment he has gained. He is overrated. He flourished with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but who wouldnt? Thats how Franzen broke out. Franzen started scoring at will when Homer got hurt and he was moved up with Z and D to replace him. No doubt Cleary, or Bertuzzi would score 25 goals as the main guy in front of the net on powerplays and on the first line.

Edited by wingsownnhl43, 12 May 2010 - 04:32 PM.