• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Lidstrom Signs 1-Year Contract Extension

Rate this topic

I know I'm in the minority here but I really feel that number is way too high and will prove to be VERY costly when we try to make additions to the team in the off-season. It's alright, I'll just be able to once again say "I told you so" when the board starts flipping out over the lower than expected stats Lids will have next season.

Come on Lids.....you've essentially been making 7+ mil every season for the last 10 years. You couldn't take one for the team just this once?

Rafalski...that is the costly contract...

Lidstrom is the best defenseman on the team...the best player on the team...and one of the best defenseman in the NHL...If its slightly under 6 million than he isnt een the highest paid defenseman on the team...

Lidstrom could h ave gotten MORE money than last year if he went UFA. Coming back at 6 million is still a pay cut.

Hudler's deal is fair (not great for the Wings, but not bad), Williams isn't going to be here anyway, Bertuzzi has stated publicly money won't be an issue and wants only to re-sign in Detroit, and your Homer comment is BS. You have no clue what he's willing to sign for given term.

Helm, Miller and Eaves are all RFA's, with Helm likely being the only one Kenny won't let go if push came to shove. You're being melodramatic...once again.

mindfly doesn't like logic

I know I'm in the minority here but I really feel that number is way too high and will prove to be VERY costly when we try to make additions to the team in the off-season. It's alright, I'll just be able to once again say "I told you so" when the board starts flipping out over the lower than expected stats Lids will have next season.

Come on Lids.....you've essentially been making 7+ mil every season for the last 10 years. You couldn't take one for the team just this once?

Right or wrong, I don't think Holland had the intention of making many additions unless Nick retired this summer. The plan all along seemed to be bring back Hudler, keep all of the free agents besides Williams and Lebda, and possibly add a 3rd/4th line player. All of this can still be achieved even with Nick taking six million.

Right or wrong, I don't think Holland had the intention of making many additions unless Nick retired this summer. The plan all along seemed to be bring back Hudler, keep all of the free agents besides Williams and Lebda, and possibly add a 3rd/4th line player. All of this can still be achieved even with Nick taking six million.

dead on.

Guest mindfly

Hudler's deal is fair (not a steal for the Wings, but not bad), Williams isn't going to be here anyway, Bertuzzi has stated publicly money won't be an issue and wants only to re-sign in Detroit, and your Homer comment is BS. You have no clue what he's willing to sign for given term.

Helm, Miller and Eaves are all RFA's, with Helm likely being the only one Kenny won't let go if push came to shove. Do they have enough to go out and grab Kovalchuk: No. Are they in fine shape to re-sign most if not all: Absolutely.

You're being melodramatic...once again.

It was a report with Holmstrom's agent stating what i've just said, they are RFA's yes but i think there's a thing in the CBA that rules that they must get a raise after some time... so if eaves made 500k he gotta atleast have 750k this year or something...

Look how easy that is to say when its someone else's money.

uh oh... freep.com is now reporting it is 7 million

I REALLY hope this isn't true - http://www.freep.com/article/20100601/SPORTS05/100601016/1319/Source-Nicklas-Lidstrom-returning-to-Red-Wings

Even if this is true - I'd rather this than no Nick, but this is basically no discount and disappointing if true...

Edited by stevkrause

Pronger and Keith are in the category as lidstrom, keith is 27 and will win the norris this year, he has a 5.5m caphit, pronger's caphit is 4.9m next season at age 36... It's very fair to say they are atleast equally good, probably better, and they make less than lidstrom.. therefore i can't be happy about a 6m caphit, the team wont be able to sign a third liner, at best a 850k fourth liner or something,

You can pick and choose good/bad deals all over and make them fit your argument. Is Jeff Finger comparable to Brad Stuart? Should Brian Campbell be making more than Duncan Keith? Lidstrom did take a discount when you look at his value still and what teams would pay him on the open market. It's a one year deal anyways - not really a fair comparision to Pronger's seven and Keith's 13 year deal.

uh oh... freep.com is now reporting it is 7 million

I REALLY hope this isn't true - http://www.freep.com/article/20100601/SPORTS05/100601016/1319/Source-Nicklas-Lidstrom-returning-to-Red-Wings

Even if this is true - I'd rather this than no Nick, but this is basically no discount and disappointing if true...

If this is true I will be royally disappointed and we can kiss next season goodbye.

It was a report with Holmstrom's agent stating what i've just said, they are RFA's yes but i think there's a thing in the CBA that rules that they must get a raise after some time... so if eaves made 500k he gotta atleast have 750k this year or something...

Once again, you have no clue what he's willing to sign for given term. Homer had a great season, but he's nearing the end of his career and his body isn't getting any healthier. What his agent said is what's known as "posturing" nothing more. Kenny will sit down with them and lay the facts out before them, and its absolutely insane to think Homer would raise a stink or bolt (no pun intended) over a few hundred thousand dollars.

Show me that clause.

Keep in mind the difference in the league maximum between Nick's last contract and whatever this contract is as well.

He is much further under the league max than he had been with the last contract.

Thus comparatively it is more of a pay cut to what he could make on the open market that the last one was as well...

Guest mindfly

It's been talked about here on LGW maybe it was Drake_Marcus or Mack_Attack who wrote about it

Keep in mind the difference in the league maximum between Nick's last contract and whatever this contract is as well.

He is much further under the league max than he had been with the last contract.

Thus comparatively it is more of a pay cut to what he could make on the open market that the last one was as well...

No, No, No....he's a greedy Swede who's made no sacrifices over the course of his career! [/sarcasm]

Guest mindfly

How does that logic work???

Because they will be forced to put the same team on the ice as last season (+hudler) and that FOR SURE won't be enough for a championship season.

Edited by mindfly

Because they will be forced to put the same team on the ice as last season (+hudler) and that FOR SURE won't be enough for a championship season.

[sarcasm]you're right, because we weren't HORRIBLY banged up last year [/sarcasm]

It's been talked about here on LGW maybe it was Drake_Marcus or Mack_Attack who wrote about it

Even if it was the case, which I'm not certain it is (again, dig it up if you want to use it in an argument as fact), it's not going to be earth-shattering amounts. The Wings don't have tons of cap room next year, but they do have enough to give the guys they want to keep a slight raise.

Guest mindfly

[sarcasm]you're right, because we weren't HORRIBLY banged up last year [/sarcasm]

They weren't banged up in the playoffs...

I was thinking the same thing... :blink:

I was referring to if the contract is 7 million. Amazing defenseman or not, at his age, does he really deserve to be making a million + more than Green, Pronger and Boyle?

Couldn’t have put it better myself.