• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

Why not Aaron Ward?

Rate this topic

Why not Aaron Ward?

How about because we want to spend less than $1m and get a defenseman who can actually skate?

The Wings' defense right now is this:

Lidstrom

Kronwall

Rafalski

Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

Meech?

Janik

Hnidy is a possiblity, if he takes a pay cut. Boynton won't sign for under $1m, and certainly not the $750k he would have to, unless he's forced to given what he was making last year. Exelby would be decent if he takes $750k, but he's barely an upgrade over Janik so I don't know if that's even worth it. Sutton is going to cost more than the Wings can afford. On the open market he might even get Kronwall/Stuart type money.

We could afford around $1.5-2 million, depending on what we give Abby and Helm, and whether we go with 13 or 14 forwards. Boynton is about the best option left (maybe Sutton, if he'd be willing to settle for around a million), which isn't saying much.

If we're to the point of considering Ward, it probably means our best option is to let Meech and Janik fight over the spot until the trade deadline when we could maybe add someone that's actually good.

Confirmed.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=329351

Too bad. I would've liked to have him or a guy like him on the blueline. Looks like we're getting Modano on the third line instead.

Reports also say we are pursuing Willie Mitchell. He had 12 teams pursuing him and he has singled those 12 down to 4. Detroit, Vancouver, Washington, and Nashville are said to be those 4. Lets hope it happens, big upgrade over Lilja.

Edited by cjm502

Reports also say we are pursuing Willie Mitchell. He had 12 teams pursuing him and he has singled those 12 down to 4. Detroit, Vancouver, Washington, and Nashville are said to be those 4. Lets hope it happens, big upgrade over Lilja.

Mitchell would be nice... but it would be awkward for Kenny to abandon Lilja over his concussion only to pick up Mitchell who has been out since January with concussion.

I'm betting that Holland was going to play Mitchell based on what was going to happen with Modano. With Modano in the fold now, Mitchell really isn't an option. He'll likely fetch just less than what Sutton got. I'm still pulling for Hnidy.