• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DatsyukianDeke13

The Bottom Six and Modano

Rate this topic

I must be misremembering because I almost certainly remember Hudler Flip being third liners in the 08 run.

Nope, you're thinking of 2009 when we lost.

Hudler played on the 4th line in 2008 with Helm and McCarty/Maltby. Flip played with Franzen and Sammy that year on the 2nd line. The 3rd line was Cleary, Draper and Drake.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I must be misremembering because I almost certainly remember Hudler Flip being third liners in the 08 run.

No that was the 09 run.

Drake-Draper-Cleary was the third line in the 08 run. Draper and Cleary led the forwards in PK TOI by far.

08 Lines

Dats - zetty - homer

Cleary - Filps - Sammy

Drake - Draper - Maltby

Huds - Helm - Dmac

Lids - Rafalski

Krons - Stuart

Lebda - Cheli

edit : cant seem to spell maltby lol

Edited by RememberStevieY

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

08 Lines

Dats - zetty - homer

Cleary - Filps - Sammy

Drake - Draper - Maltby

Huds - Helm - Dmac

Lids - Rafalski

Krons - Stuart

Lebda - Cheli

edit : cant seem to spell maltby lol

FRANZEN?

Everyone will think I'm crazy, but here goes......

I'd actually play Modano on the 2nd line.

Stop...stop it.....stop laughing at me!

No, seriously, I think it would work.

I definitely want Datsyuk, Z & Holmstrom on the top line. To me, that's a no-brainer. (And I hated when Babs split them up, but it was understandable with all of our injuries.)

Unfortunately, I think it's time for Draper & Maltby to go. They had a great run, but they're long in the tooth and need to step aside.

I was actually hoping that they'd sign someone other than Bertuzzi, but he's a reality that I have to live with, but I'd demote him to line #3.

I'd leave Fil in the 2nd line center slot and play Modano on the wing so he wouldn't have as much defensive responsibility.

How would this look?

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Franzen, Filppula, Modano

Hudler, Helm, Bertuzzi

Eaves, Abdelkader, Cleary

Miller or Draper

Ok, Ok....so you don't want Modano on line #2.

In that Case:

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Hudler, Filppula, Franzen (I'm just leery of how small Fil & Hudler play)

Bertuzzi, Modano, Cleary (Not exactly the quickest 3rd line)

Miller, Helm, Eaves

Draper

either way........we look to be a deep club if Modano does sign......

Last time we won the Cup, we had grinders and defensively responsible forwards on our 3rd line. Namely, Cleary, Draper and Drake. I don't see how you can say it's different nowadays somehow. Wings aren't above anyone else in that department. We need balance just as much as other teams do.

In fact, every time we've won the Cup, we had that.

Just sayin..

We also got the occasional goal from the third line, which Modano will help with. Huds can't do it alone. Scoring from our third line in the playoffs last year was almost non existent. Point is you can skew any argument to try and fit your own perceptions as to what we had last time vs what we are trying to do this time. The bottom line is, this TEAM will be better with Modano than without (more than likely). Sorry, but the anti Modano arguments sound like sour grapes to me, due to Kenny not allowing someone on these boards to be GM. And to that point, I will take Kenny's track record over the past decade over any of the posters on this board. The wings, as they have done many times before, can win a cup without being known as a fighting team. I know that upsets some folks who for some reason would like to go back to the days of Probert. ( I even saw someone post that on here the other day). Remind me again, how many cup/winning seasons did we have in his era?

Just sayin....

Little off topic here, but didn't a late 30 something Larionov center our 3rd line in 2002?

Either way Modano has played under Hitchcock long enough to have a fair idea of how to be somewhat defensively responsible...I personally think Modano will be okay.

No, our 3rd line in 2002 was the Grind Line.