57 replies to this topic

#41 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:12 PM

Who in the f*** is Joe Lewis?

He hangs out with Chris Draper, Michael Samuelsson, and Bart Lebda.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:18 PM

A car being given away in "the motor city." I see nothing wrong with that. Stop being xenophobic.

I don't even notice the ad's on the glass. I couldn't even tell you one ad that was even put on the there. If they put that small of an ad on the jersey I won't even notice that also

How is that being even remotely xenophobic. No one's saying don't buy a car from " 'dem 'der foreign people," the complaint is that giving away a US made car would show support for the local economy. You know, the region where the people live who buy game tickets. It will put off some people, and if you look at the comments on the Red Wings facebook page many people are being vocal against it. Will people stop going to Red Wings games over it? Probably not. However, so far it hasn't proven to be a very good PR move.

nice :thumbup:

#43 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:20 PM

I bet the majority of that "foreign car" is made in the United States. The majority of the parts in Toyotas are made in the USA and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that my Ford has foreign parts in it.

#44 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

I bet the majority of that "foreign car" is made in the United States. The majority of the parts in Toyotas are made in the USA and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that my Ford has foreign parts in it.

Let's not turn this thread into a foreign vs. domestic car debate. I'm willing to bet that the mix of foreign vs US made parts in both Toyotas and Fords are probably about the same.

#45 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:56 PM

And he went to a Tieger's game with Mich Albomb, Nick Lindstrom, and Barrie Saunders.

I don't even like the virtual ads on the end glass (and I'm in sales!) On the one hand I can dismiss the jersey ads if it's just on practice jersey's; on the other hand the slippery slope theory keeps lurking right around the corner. The ad fest in European "Hokey" definitely diminishes the quality of the game experience for me.

Although I actually like the overwhelming advertising in NASCAR (it's a totally different culture and has heritage and roots in racing and I think it's part of the whole experience where as in hockey it is distracting from the experience), I too would really hate to see the NHL end up anywhere close to NASCAR.

Edited by T.Low, 18 November 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#46 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:06 PM

Amway announced today its partnership with the Griffins wherein the Griffs will wear Amway patches on both their home and road unis.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#47 _Kabrok_

_Kabrok_

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

Advertisements are designed to work through subliminal repetition. If you don't "Notice" them, it's often an indication that they're doing their job.

The funny thing is, it's gotten to the point where I've consciously avoided products with which I've gotten so fed up with them shoving ads down my throat.

Edited by _Kabrok_, 18 November 2010 - 03:16 PM.

#48 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

Although I actually like the overwhelming advertising in NASCAR (it's a totally different culture and has heritage and roots in racing and I think it's part of the whole experience where as in hockey it is distracting from the experience), I too would really hate to see the NHL end up anywhere close to NASCAR.

There's also a fundamental difference in the business model between a race car owner and the owner of a professional hockey team. The biggest being that the race car owner doesn't get any of the "gate" money directly. His car is shooting for a percentage of a total "purse" put up by the race promoter. The stands can be full, but if his driver is taken out by a first lap accident, his take home money can be quite small. Also, at the top levels of racing the purse (both series and race) isn't enough to cover a team's budget. AJ Foyt said that one of the Cardinal Rules of racing is "Never race with your own money!" It's the quickest way for a race team owner to go broke. The only way to field a competitive race team at the top levels of racing is to have a good sponsor.

As for the "virtual ads", I also wonder who profits from them... Olympia Entertainment or FSN???

Edited by Gizmo, 18 November 2010 - 04:16 PM.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#49 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

Have to pay for the Pistons one way or another.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#50 WMUsiv1

WMUsiv1

Draftee

• 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:22 AM

The ad is probably receiving more attention on this thread than it will for being on the practice jersey

#51 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

I dont see a huge issue with a couple of ads, maybe don't agree with the company, but from a business perspective it makes sense.. As long as they never end up just being a collage of ads like some of the european teams. I mean theres already ads on the boards and now superimposed on the glass, I feel like it's only a matter of time before we see them on game jerseys.

the problem is once they put one one, the rest will follow
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#52 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

It makes mef****** sick...nhl shame on you....i would rather have a s***ty tagger write all over the jersey....anybody seen the movie idiocracy? ...first it is the glass...now the jerseys. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

#53 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:12 PM

The ad is probably receiving more attention on this thread than it will for being on the practice jersey

As long as they don't appear on the actual game jerseys, I'm fine with it.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#54 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

It makes mef****** sick...nhl shame on you....i would rather have a s***ty tagger write all over the jersey....anybody seen the movie idiocracy? ...first it is the glass...now the jerseys. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

:siren: This power play is brought to you by BRAWNDO: THE THIRST MUTILATOR!!!!! :siren:

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,364 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

The glass ads absolutely must go.

#56 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,100 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:36 PM

What is next, women in bikinis skating around holding up numbers indicating what intermission it is?

D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#57 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 856 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:41 PM

What is next, women in bikinis skating around holding up numbers indicating what intermission it is?

I'm for this, actually :thumbup:

#58 al48

al48

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:45 PM

It's just stupid, really. What's the point of having your logo on a practice jersey? Who are they marketing to, the players? That's like selling ads on the boards of your backyard hockey rink.
"I've been liquored up for 17 years. My judgement's not what it once was"