• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#361 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:03 AM

Anyone else notice the really s***ty angles they used at times?
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#362 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:25 AM

those were the only good angles should have used them all game

#363 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

Everyone, Sid was proud to play in the winter classic, despite the loss. I assume everyone else on the Pens was not.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 02 January 2011 - 01:15 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#364 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

Final scores from the first day of 2011

buffalo 7 boston 6 SO
carolina 6 new jersey 3
toronto 5 ottawa 1
tampa bay 2 new york rangers 1 OT
washington 3 pittsburgh 1
san jose 1 la kings 0
calgary 2 edmonton 1

again thank you all for participating tonight!

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 02 January 2011 - 02:03 AM.

#365 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

Damn it, I didn't know that CBC switched to the outdoor game after the other ended. I got tired of hearing NBC talk about the weather and bitching about the ice. Hell I think they talked about that more than the actual game.

The game itself was good in the first but got boring in the 2nd and most of the 3rd except for the last few seconds of the game.

#366 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:12 AM

for me the game got stale after the fight. the crowd is what really stole the show for me. they were into it all game.

#367 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

for me the game got stale after the fight. the crowd is what really stole the show for me. they were into it all game.

Yeah that's Pittsburgh for ya. Sports are EVERYTHING to them.

#368 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

a couple tidbits from tsn.ca

Washington managed to keep Crosby off the scoresheet -- the first time that's happened in consecutive games for the NHL's scoring leader all season. His most notable moment came when he was hammered by David Steckel in the dying moments of the second period on a play that might warrant some attention from league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

However, it was unclear whether Steckel even intended to throw the hit.

"I couldn't even tell you what happened," said Crosby. "I think the puck was going the other way and I turned and next thing I know, I'm down. ... It was pretty far behind the play."

Ovechkin didn't fare much better after also being held pointless in the game. It wasn't the least bit evident in the enthusiasm he showed afterwards.

"It was one of the best feelings in my life," said Ovechkin. "When you see it's sold out, it's like I can't imagine that football players play every game like this. It's unbelievable. And it's kind of the thing you want to do all the time."

The temperature was a balmy 11 C when the puck was dropped and heavy rain fell during the third period -- conditions more suitable for a game involving the Steelers, who normally call Heinz Field home. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman indicated the game was never in danger of being delayed or called off.

"This is reality hockey when you take it outdoors," said Bettman. "It becomes a little unpredictable."

Reminders of the stadium's football roots could be seen throughout the night. Fans tailgated for hours in the parking lot before the game and waved the Steelers signature yellow "Terrible Towels" when they got inside the building, and Evgeni Malkin even did a Lambeau-style Leap into the Penguins bench after opening the scoring.

It was a pretty good taste of what it's like for football players on any given Sunday.

"It's pretty easy to see why you see those guys are so pumped up every week," said Crosby. "Coming down the tunnel, it was a pretty amazing feeling. And playing hockey in front of that many people, it's something that probably none of us ever dreamed of doing."

Both teams have had a pretty tumultuous month while being followed by HBO's all-access crews for the "24/7" series and preparing for the Winter Classic itself. The Caps in particular struggled -- going windless for eight games in December -- but now see to be out of the funk.

With Saturday's victory, they find themselves just two points behind Pittsburgh for first overall in the Eastern Conference. On top of that, they got to leave Heinz Field with a win they won't soon forget.

The NHL will go outdoors again soon when Montreal and Calgary square off at McMahon Stadium on Feb. 20 ... Chris Conner was taken out of the Pittsburgh lineup to make room for Jordan Staal, who played his first game of the season ... The Caps are 4-0-0 against Pittsburgh on New Year's Day ... The Penguins are 12-7-3 in regular-season games against Washington since Crosby and Ovechkin entered the NHL ... Eight Penguins played their second career outdoor game. Chimera was the only Washington player appearing in his second.

#369 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

“This is, like, as close to the Stanley Cup as we’ve gotten,” Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said.

Egads, can you imagine Babcock having this sort of attitude? A regular season win doesn't get you any closer to the Cup than you were before; winning more than one playoff series in three years would be an actual start.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#370 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

It seems that after every high profile game, Crosby ALWAYS has some sort of snide comment to make, like his "I don't know what happened. I was just sitting there and suddenly was down on the ground. It was pretty far behind the play."

He ALWAYS says crap like this and it's so passive aggressive it annoys me.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#371 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

The League must be very proud.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#372 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:15 AM

It seems that after every high profile game, Crosby ALWAYS has some sort of snide comment to make, like his "I don't know what happened. I was just sitting there and suddenly was down on the ground. It was pretty far behind the play."

This is why I don't understand people who go, "he doesn't whine, you're all just homers." He complains just as much, if not more than others in the league by simply using the "well others might think that this should have been called or this should have been done" approach so it doesn't seem like he's the one whining about whatever the issue happens to be.

#373 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

EXACTLY. This is a prime example of why I hate him so much. He is such a sore loser and poor captain.

#374 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

poor captain? i think you meant to say greatest captain of all time

#375 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,601 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Now we wait, with moderate patience, for three weeks for the reappearance of hockey on NBC.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#376 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

http://www.sportsmed...o-saturday.html

http://tvbythenumber...ng-adults/76953

#377 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/01/winter-classic-helps-nbc-to-saturday.html

http://tvbythenumber...ng-adults/76953

How did the event do in comparison to years past Winter Classics?

#378 Stolberg

Stolberg

you call that blowing?!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

2008 (PIT vs. BUF): 2.6 overnight rating, 2.2 final rating, 3.7 million viewers

2009 (DET vs. CHI): 2.9 overnight rating, 2.5/5 final rating, 4.4 million viewers

2010 had lower ratings than both i think

#379 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,503 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:25 PM

That's screwy. It measures timeslot (5-8pm) during a timeslot when the Winter Classic was not played.

Did I miss something?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#380 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

2008 (PIT vs. BUF): 2.6 overnight rating, 2.2 final rating, 3.7 million viewers

2009 (DET vs. CHI): 2.9 overnight rating, 2.5/5 final rating, 4.4 million viewers

2010 had lower ratings than both i think

wow seriously?.....FAIL.....