• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1/1 GDT: 2011 Winter Classic

Rate this topic

that was not a suspendable hit, unless one totally "suspends belief" and thinks like Bettman. :rolleyes:

My local newscasters just referred to the Winter Classic outdoor game as "bizarre." Unquote. They play hockey outside... on ice?? Bizarre.

Help me? :(

Remember Costner's movie, "JFK"? I thought the glasses made him look like an extra in that flick. :cool:

Yep. And I agree. And I also agree that the Caps goalie should get the first star. I have no idea what happened though, or if they even rate them. :ph34r:

Yep. And I agree. And I also agree that the Caps goalie should get the first star. I have no idea what happened though, or if they even rate them. :ph34r:

yes, he got 1st star. Post #324

Edited by puckloo39

Final scores from the first day of 2011

buffalo 7 boston 6 SO

carolina 6 new jersey 3

toronto 5 ottawa 1

tampa bay 2 new york rangers 1 OT

washington 3 pittsburgh 1

san jose 1 la kings 0

calgary 2 edmonton 1

again thank you all for participating tonight!

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Damn it, I didn't know that CBC switched to the outdoor game after the other ended. I got tired of hearing NBC talk about the weather and bitching about the ice. Hell I think they talked about that more than the actual game.

The game itself was good in the first but got boring in the 2nd and most of the 3rd except for the last few seconds of the game.

for me the game got stale after the fight. the crowd is what really stole the show for me. they were into it all game.

a couple tidbits from tsn.ca

Washington managed to keep Crosby off the scoresheet -- the first time that's happened in consecutive games for the NHL's scoring leader all season. His most notable moment came when he was hammered by David Steckel in the dying moments of the second period on a play that might warrant some attention from league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

However, it was unclear whether Steckel even intended to throw the hit.

"I couldn't even tell you what happened," said Crosby. "I think the puck was going the other way and I turned and next thing I know, I'm down. ... It was pretty far behind the play."

Ovechkin didn't fare much better after also being held pointless in the game. It wasn't the least bit evident in the enthusiasm he showed afterwards.

"It was one of the best feelings in my life," said Ovechkin. "When you see it's sold out, it's like I can't imagine that football players play every game like this. It's unbelievable. And it's kind of the thing you want to do all the time."

The temperature was a balmy 11 C when the puck was dropped and heavy rain fell during the third period -- conditions more suitable for a game involving the Steelers, who normally call Heinz Field home. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman indicated the game was never in danger of being delayed or called off.

"This is reality hockey when you take it outdoors," said Bettman. "It becomes a little unpredictable."

Reminders of the stadium's football roots could be seen throughout the night. Fans tailgated for hours in the parking lot before the game and waved the Steelers signature yellow "Terrible Towels" when they got inside the building, and Evgeni Malkin even did a Lambeau-style Leap into the Penguins bench after opening the scoring.

It was a pretty good taste of what it's like for football players on any given Sunday.

"It's pretty easy to see why you see those guys are so pumped up every week," said Crosby. "Coming down the tunnel, it was a pretty amazing feeling. And playing hockey in front of that many people, it's something that probably none of us ever dreamed of doing."

Both teams have had a pretty tumultuous month while being followed by HBO's all-access crews for the "24/7" series and preparing for the Winter Classic itself. The Caps in particular struggled -- going windless for eight games in December -- but now see to be out of the funk.

With Saturday's victory, they find themselves just two points behind Pittsburgh for first overall in the Eastern Conference. On top of that, they got to leave Heinz Field with a win they won't soon forget.

The NHL will go outdoors again soon when Montreal and Calgary square off at McMahon Stadium on Feb. 20 ... Chris Conner was taken out of the Pittsburgh lineup to make room for Jordan Staal, who played his first game of the season ... The Caps are 4-0-0 against Pittsburgh on New Year's Day ... The Penguins are 12-7-3 in regular-season games against Washington since Crosby and Ovechkin entered the NHL ... Eight Penguins played their second career outdoor game. Chimera was the only Washington player appearing in his second.

“This is, like, as close to the Stanley Cup as we’ve gotten,” Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau said.

Egads, can you imagine Babcock having this sort of attitude? A regular season win doesn't get you any closer to the Cup than you were before; winning more than one playoff series in three years would be an actual start.

It seems that after every high profile game, Crosby ALWAYS has some sort of snide comment to make, like his "I don't know what happened. I was just sitting there and suddenly was down on the ground. It was pretty far behind the play."

He ALWAYS says crap like this and it's so passive aggressive it annoys me.

It seems that after every high profile game, Crosby ALWAYS has some sort of snide comment to make, like his "I don't know what happened. I was just sitting there and suddenly was down on the ground. It was pretty far behind the play."

This is why I don't understand people who go, "he doesn't whine, you're all just homers." He complains just as much, if not more than others in the league by simply using the "well others might think that this should have been called or this should have been done" approach so it doesn't seem like he's the one whining about whatever the issue happens to be.

EXACTLY. This is a prime example of why I hate him so much. He is such a sore loser and poor captain.