• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CAredwingsfan91

Question about a "Perk"

Rate this topic

So I think it was back in the Ottawa game when Franzenstein scored 50 goals in one game then went on to disappear, i had heard either kenny d or the ottawa commentators say something about how detroit has a "deal/perk" with the league that when detroit has back to back AWAY then a HOME game that no team visiting detroit isn't allowed to be waiting in Detroit for them, I had heard that the visiting team must fly in the day of the game is this true? Sorry if that totally doesn't make sense but I hope to get some truth out of this it's been bugging me.

I have no facts, but I would be aboslutely shocked if that were true. How in the hell can you impose such a rule on a team? Sorry, you can't fly into the city on Friday, you don't play until Saturday.

There is no way that is true. How could the other teams agree to such an arrangement?

If this kind of deal/benefit actually exists, I cannot imagine that the Wings would be the only team in the league to have it. I'd imagine it's an all-or-nothing kind of rule, where it's either league policy for all teams to set travel dates like that, or none have that restriction.

But I've been wrong before, so who knows...

Ya the GM's would be having a fit if this were true, and we def wouldve heard about it by others by now.

probably just the announcers in OTT trying to make the home fans feel better.

just the other day(cant remember exactly when and who)but ken daniels said somthing about 2 teams being here at the same time.and one of them were already here for a few days.

Edited by maltbymaniac

I remember what the OP is talking about. There was mention of some kind of agreement the Wings have with the NHL regarding weekend games and such. Can't for the life of me remember what it was but it had something to do with the networks wanting to cover the Wings games more often.

I heard the same stipulation from Ken Daniels awhile ago (I think it was Ken anyway). It was in return for the Wings playing in the Western Conference instead of the Eastern Conference. I know it sounds unlikely, but Kenny Holland probably had some leverage because the NHL needs the Wings in the West to draw larger crowds in western cities.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Maybe it's western teams, with their advantage in time zone, aren't allowed to arrive early to adjust to the earlier times. Strictly a guess.

I remember them talking about this. The way I took it was that Kenny worked with the schedulers to make sure if they had to play an away game then a home game on back to back nights then the team they play at home also has to have played the night before. I don't think it literally means that teams can't arrive in Detroit before the Wings, just that they can't have the day before off and be rested to come play a tired Wings team in Detroit.