• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozzie30

Jonathan Ericsson Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

For under 1.25, he's a great 5-6 DMan. For 2-3.5mil, he's a terrible 4-6 DMan.

And for 1.25-1.75, he's a #5/6 d-man at a reasonable price if we can't find anything better for the role.

Yes?

In my opinion, Ericsson still has some room to grow: he's a later bloomer, he's a large guy, and he's a d-man. All of this could equate to a player that doesn't hit his prime until 30. If everything comes together for him, he could be a respectable #4.

The biggest issue currently is a matter of where to put him. He's solid defensively when he's not consistently the last line of defense, so you can't put him with a risk-taker. Likewise, he needs someone reliable to let him jump up for his offense. At the same time, his partner has to be reasonably reliable offensively to carry the pairing during a slump.

This makes a guy with balanced offense and defense like Lidstrom a perfect partner for him, but it just so happens our guy like that is ******* amazing and our #1 d-man. Ericsson is not top pairing qualtiy at this time. Lidstrom is the only guy we've really had like that (Kronwall is more offensively oriented; his offense from jumping into the play is lethal, making a defensively-oriented partner ideal for him. Stuart doesn't have the offense. Rafalski wasn't reliable defensively. Salei definitely didn't have the offense).

Hpwever, if the Wings can acquire a d-man to play on the right side of Kronwall that's of sufficient quality, that may be different this next year. I think the Wings are looking at a point where Lidstrom's numbers can be toned back, and likewise Kronwall can take on more responsibilities. They can share a 1a/1b role when it comes to overall minutes. Kronwall's partner can be someone that logs #3 minutes. Stuart can anchor the bottom pairing, providing a steady partner for Kindl, even while he gets double shifted on defensive minutes and eats crazy PK time to give him similar #3 minutes. This leaves Ericsson as a solid choice for Lidstrom's partner, and it just so happens that's the style of d-man Ericsson needs to play next to.

Pairings (sorted descending by ES icetime as a pairing)

Kronwall | ????

Lidstrom | Ericsson

Stuart | Kindl

PK icetime (descending)

Stuart

????

Lidstrom/Kronwall/Ericsson

Kindl

PP icetime

Lidstrom

Kronwall

????

Ericsson/Kindl/Stuart

ES icetime

Kronwall

Lidstrom

????

Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

Total icetime

Lidstrom/Kronwall

????/Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

If the right person can be acquired to fill "????" I'm quite fine with that arrangement. If he cannot, or if Ericsson cannot be had for a reasonable contract, I would prefer 2 new acquistions, both of 2nd pairing (or better) quality.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Guest Hatethedrake!

I appreciate Jonathan Ericsson as a Detroit Red Wing. I also appreciate that if Jonathan Ericsson wants anything more than 2 mil a year I'll happily drive him to the airport myself and wish him all the best in Holmstrom swedeglish.

Guest Heaten

And for 1.25-1.75, he's a #5/6 d-man at a reasonable price if we can't find anything better for the role.

Yes?

In my opinion, Ericsson still has some room to grow: he's a later bloomer, he's a large guy, and he's a d-man. All of this could equate to a player that doesn't hit his prime until 30. If everything comes together for him, he could be a respectable #4.

The biggest issue currently is a matter of where to put him. He's solid defensively when he's not consistently the last line of defense, so you can't put him with a risk-taker. Likewise, he needs someone reliable to let him jump up for his offense. At the same time, his partner has to be reasonably reliable offensively to carry the pairing during a slump.

This makes a guy with balanced offense and defense like Lidstrom a perfect partner for him, but it just so happens our guy like that is ******* amazing and our #1 d-man. Ericsson is not top pairing qualtiy at this time. Lidstrom is the only guy we've really had like that (Kronwall is more offensively oriented; his offense from jumping into the play is lethal, making a defensively-oriented partner ideal for him. Stuart doesn't have the offense. Rafalski wasn't reliable defensively. Salei definitely didn't have the offense).

Hpwever, if the Wings can acquire a d-man to play on the right side of Kronwall that's of sufficient quality, that may be different this next year. I think the Wings are looking at a point where Lidstrom's numbers can be toned back, and likewise Kronwall can take on more responsibilities. They can share a 1a/1b role when it comes to overall minutes. Kronwall's partner can be someone that logs #3 minutes. Stuart can anchor the bottom pairing, providing a steady partner for Kindl, even while he gets double shifted on defensive minutes and eats crazy PK time to give him similar #3 minutes. This leaves Ericsson as a solid choice for Lidstrom's partner, and it just so happens that's the style of d-man Ericsson needs to play next to.

Pairings (sorted descending by ES icetime as a pairing)

Kronwall | ????

Lidstrom | Ericsson

Stuart | Kindl

PK icetime (descending)

Stuart

????

Lidstrom/Kronwall/Ericsson

Kindl

PP icetime

Lidstrom

Kronwall

????

Ericsson/Kindl/Stuart

ES icetime

Kronwall

Lidstrom

????

Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

Total icetime

Lidstrom/Kronwall

????/Stuart

Ericsson

Kindl

If the right person can be acquired to fill "????" I'm quite fine with that arrangement. If he cannot, or if Ericsson cannot be had for a reasonable contract, I would prefer 2 new acquistions, both of 2nd pairing (or better) quality.

Good post. I think Ericsson re-signs (for more than some believe he's worth), but will be put in an effective role that serves his purpose. They guy is a good defenseman, skates well and has a bomb of a shot. His knocks on him now use to be a non-issue. His first pass and easily getting pressured. I don't know what 'flipped the switch' for him to lose so much confidence, but hopefully he regains it and becomes the defenseman we all know he's capable of becoming. I would feel comfortable with him on the 2nd paring right now. He logs lots of minutes and is a great PKer.