• Please log in to reply
278 replies to this topic

#141 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

It is hilarious how every draft people on here start going "OMG steal of the year hur hur hur hur" Yeah, I'll see in 5 years how these steals worked out for us.
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#142 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

I think the Wings are hoping for Tomas Jurco to still be around for the 35th pick. Then they will draft defense like they said. Jurco would be a solid prospect to develop with his comrade Tatar.

:siren:
Jurco is a great talent for the Wings. Can you say Hossa Jr? I've read that Jurco is responsible in his own end when he's not scoring crazy highlight-reel goals.

Tvrdon... 6 letters, 1 consonants. Exactly what our announcers need :)

Seriously, he is already big at 18. 6.2, 210lbs... hope he adds to this a bit more...

I think you mean 1 vowel.

This team is really high on Slovak players. Tvrdon could turn out to be a steal, hopefully injuries don't continue to affect him.

#143 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

I didn't expect Backman to still be available at 146. final rank at 39th. Smart swedish dman. Good pick Holland

Edited by X13WINGS13X, 25 June 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#144 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

18 year olds have no taste.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#145 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

My only problem is, is that I don't see the Wings drafting any Russians. I'd love those two picks, but the Wings don't like drafting Russians.

Which just doesn't make sense when one of your best players is russian.

#146 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Philippe Hudon, right-handed forward, will be playing at Cornell this year

Mattias Backman, tall, skinny Swedish defenseman, typical Red Wings late round pick

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#147 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

another russian in tampa. nesterov at 148

#148 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:32 PM

It is hilarious how every draft people on here start going "OMG steal of the year hur hur hur hur" Yeah, I'll see in 5 years how these steals worked out for us.

Go check HFBoards right now and see who they said the steal of the draft was last year, I'll give you a hint It starts with Teemu and ends in Pulkkinen. Check out this years "steal of the draft", I'll give you a hint, his name starts with Marek and ends with Tvrdon.

Philippe Hudon, right-handed forward, will be playing at Cornell this year

Mattias Backman, tall, skinny Swedish defenseman, typical Red Wings late round pick

Wings certainly got height and size this year, can't wait to see what people complain about next year.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#149 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

Philippe Hudon, RW – Choate Wild Boars (Conn. HS)
An incredible student who shook off the Quebec League in favor of a future at Cornell, Hudon is thriving at the prep school level in Connecticut. A big kid who likes Milan Lucic’s game, Hudon possesses excellent athleticism and isn’t afraid to throw his weight around.

“People have classified me as a power forward,” Hudon said. “I think that is a perfect categorization. My role is to set the tone; get a quick goal or make a quick pass, but also to make a big hit.”

This will please the masses. :)

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#150 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:36 PM

Go check HFBoards right now and see who they said the steal of the draft was last year, I'll give you a hint It starts with Teemu and ends in Pulkkinen. Check out this years "steal of the draft", I'll give you a hint, his name starts with Marek and ends with Tvrdon.

Wings certainly got height and size this year, can't wait to see what people complain about next year.

Teemu Pulkkinen is injury prone last time I checked. I just don't agree on calling these young players steals of the draft when they haven't played in the NHL for a few years even. Get back to me in 10 years when these steals are tearing it up in the NHL and winning championships for the Red Wings. More than likely, out of all these steals, maybe 1 or 2 will pan, maybe.

#151 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

Mattias Backman will make Lidstrom look like Brett Lebda. You heard it here first.

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#152 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hudon:

Hudon helped Choate to a 15-9-1 record in 2010-11, recording 20 points (10-10--20) in 22 games as one of 13 seniors on the roster. In 2009-10, he helped lead Choate to the New England Large Prep Championship with a 21-6-1 record.

He was the only sophomore named to the All New England Division West All-Star Team, despite missing six games playing for Team Quebec at 2010 World Under-17 Challenge.

Hudon was highly regarded at the start of the season but failed to take a significant offensive step forward at the Prep School level. He’s got a decent frame to work with and plays a pretty hard-nosed game, indicating his role will likely be as more of a third line player at the next level. Still, his lack of production is concerning, and the fact that a “power forward” will be heading to Cornell might also be a bit of an issue for NHL teams.

Mattias Backman:

Big, very mobile and brings a solid first pass. If he cracks the SEL roster for Linköping, he'll be at WJC no doubt. Solid case for him to be drafted in the middle of day 2.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#153 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

From HFB.
Any info on Mattias Backman? His scouting reports remind me of what they said of Niklas Hjalmarsson in '04.
I can see why. Big, very mobile and brings a solid first pass. If he cracks the SEL roster for Linköping, he'll be at WJC no doubt. Solid case for him to be drafted in the middle of day 2.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#154 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have a feeling this draft will be one of the most successful in our recent history...
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#155 Johnny Diamonds

Johnny Diamonds

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Mattias Backman will make Lidstrom look like Brett Lebda. You heard it here first.

That's sig worthy.

#156 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

Teemu Pulkkinen is injury prone last time I checked. I just don't agree on calling these young players steals of the draft when they haven't played in the NHL for a few years even. Get back to me in 10 years when these steals are tearing it up in the NHL and winning championships for the Red Wings. More than likely, out of all these steals, maybe 1 or 2 will pan, maybe.

Pulkkinen had some freak injuries, he wasn't injury prone, and just played a full SML season and competed in the playoffs and WJHC. He's fine. Why do we have to wait 10 years to satisfy you? I'll get back to you in a couple months to see our guys tearing up leagues that 1st rounders aren't even doing as well in.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#157 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

uhhhhhhhh

Are you being serious? I cannot tell... If you are, you better make it your signature so we can all remember your oracle like skill.

Michelle Obama... You think she needed to be explained what hockey was before she did that commercial?

#158 #2WingsFan

#2WingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

This Tomas Jurco, has some pretty sick moves. Do a search on youtube. Him and Datsyuk should get along GREAT! Nice pick Kenny!

#159 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

This is why the Wings do well in the draft, it always seems they are looking where no one else is. Sweeden breaks a draft record and we are drafting Slovaks. Trend setters perhaps.

#160 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Pulkkinen had some freak injuries, he wasn't injury prone, and just played a full SML season and competed in the playoffs and WJHC. He's fine. Why do we have to wait 10 years to satisfy you? I'll get back to you in a couple months to see our guys tearing up leagues that 1st rounders aren't even doing as well in.

Yeah some leagues overseas don't count. I view it as NHL or bust, that is all that matters. NHl is the toughest league out there, doing well in the SML is nice, but until I see this kid being able to sustain many rigorous NHL seasons, I don't buy the hype. Why would no other team draft him, if he was such a young and upcoming dynamic player. On this site, Holland and the draft staff is often viewed as some special god that is able to whisk players out of nowhere. Yes, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and even Mule were great decisions by the staff to draft, but not all these young guys are going to end up like them. Other teams have just as competent gms and draft staffs (que the Burke jokes here).