Photo
- - - - -

Holland saving $ to make a push for Weber?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 NoIinYzerman

NoIinYzerman

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

My understanding of the arbitration rule is that if the team files for arbitration as the Preds did, they have to accept the ruling. They cannot "pass". Weber will be signed to either a one or two year deal within the next 34 hours.

He asked for a one year deal this morning at some crazy number near 8 million. The Predators countered with 4.7 mil. They are miles apart, but the ruling will probably be a one year deal for close to 6.5. That is my uneducated guess, 6.35 is right in the middle, but I think Shea can point to some comparable players salaries and get a touch more than that.

Much more importantly, I believe that Weber is not scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next off season. In fact, he is not eligible for unrestricted status until after the 2012-13 season. That is two summers away.

A possible scenario that might change that would be for Weber to get a one year deal this summer and file for arbitration himself next summer. The ruling could then be denied by the Preds and Shea would then become an unrestricted free agent next summer... of course, chances of all of those things coming to pass are probably slim to none.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Weber on the Wings... but I don't see it happening anytime soon (or at all, if the Predators organization has any hockey sense whatsoever). The guy is a future multiple Norris trophy winner and a game changer.

#22 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

the question i would ask is, who would fit into the Wings system better Weber or Suter?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#23 ZoFace

ZoFace

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

I don't see the Wings making a trade for Weber because Detroit does not have the assets to make a deal. The only decent trade chip the Wings have is Brendan Smith. Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist and Pulkkinen are considered B grade prospects at best. Weber is a perennial Norris candidate, it's gonna take the entire farm for any team to get this deal done. I just don't see Holland trading away all these assets when the Wings have an aging team. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Weber in a Wings uniform, but Suter is a more viable option being that he's a UFA. But what happens then if Lidstrom decides to come back for 2012-2013? I'd see the Wings making a big push for Suter if they feel Stuart is going to leave. That's the only possible way, in my opinion.

#24 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

Almost 23 mil in cap space for 12-13.

Oh to dream of a top four of...

Lidstrom-Weber
Kronwall-White

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 02 January 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#25 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

i would hate the wings for the rest of my life,if they somehow manage to get shea weber,but i will never hate shea weber,if he ends up a red wing then he will probally be booed for the rest of his career when the wings come to nashville.

You shouldn't hate the Wings, they help to pay the Preds bills. Weber won't be a Wing, he is a restricted free agent after this current season, so the only way we would get him is via trade, and believe me, the Preds wont trade with us.

#26 jfranzen

jfranzen

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

Would the Wings pick him up even with potential post-concussion symptoms making future concussions more probable?
I'm offended that you're offended.

#27 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but why do you pay for an ESPN account? I never got how they can get away with demanding money for that stuff.

I get ESPN the magazine and I get insider for free as part of my subscription. My ESPN Magazine subscription costs me less than $10 for a year.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#28 2probert4

2probert4

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just cannot see us being able to offer something for weber that other teams can't top. Specially seeing as how Nashville will never trade us a norris caliber dman to begin with.

Just pray that suter doesnt get an extension, because he is the realistic option next summer.

Suter is Number 1 on the Philly wish list, and the 2 teams have a history of trading amongst each other. Still nothing close to a signing for Suter, and Poile won't just let him walk as they did with Dan Hamhuis. I'm sure JVR is on their list of what they want in return.