• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GOBLUE1892

Holland saving $ to make a push for Weber?

Rate this topic

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors?date=20110711&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnhl%2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20110711#7080

My ESPN insider account reported that Holland is set with his signings for now and trying to save money to make a push for Shea Weber.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but why do you pay for an ESPN account? I never got how they can get away with demanding money for that stuff.

I refuse to pay for unreliable "inside" information, was there any reason this was speculated like a source or did somebody just think its somebody he might be doing?

Yeah, maybe you could quote it for us?

It would be great to get him... I will be happy when I sees it, but until then I won't get my hopes up. I will also defend the ability to hope against all others.

Yeah, maybe you could quote it for us?

The Detroit Red Wings aren't expected to spend much more this offseason, not that they've committed much to the future at all. And there's good reason for that. The Detroit News' Ted Kulfman writes, "Next season's potential unrestricted free agent group is so good. Absolutely loaded, actually. While this free-agent class one had a bunch of depth players, next year's is filled with difference makers worth spending the extra millions."

The Wings could make a really big splash next offseason because they have no free agents they'll have to pay huge salaries, except maybe Nicklas Lidstrom -- if he decides to come back. If he doesn't, though, there are several elite free agents they could pay with that money, including Zach Parise, Brent Burns, Patrick Sharp and -- perhaps most intriguingly -- Shea Weber. Losing both Brian Rafalski this season and potentially Lidstrom next season could make them an ideal destination for the 2010-11 Norris Trophy finalist.

The Detroit Red Wings aren't expected to spend much more this offseason, not that they've committed much to the future at all. And there's good reason for that. The Detroit News' Ted Kulfman writes, "Next season's potential unrestricted free agent group is so good. Absolutely loaded, actually. While this free-agent class one had a bunch of depth players, next year's is filled with difference makers worth spending the extra millions."

Thanks.

I don't understand why they won't spend any more this summer on a few one-year deals or trading for an expiring contract unless they really believe they can get him at the deadline. If they don't get him it was a waste of cap space and if they do they'll have to give up a lot for a guy who's a rental player until you actually re-sign him. I hope Weber is here but since we have a decent defense now, I would focus on a couple top six forwards and make a play for Weber in free agency.

Thanks.

I don't understand why they won't spend any more this summer on a few one-year deals or trading for an expiring contract unless they really believe they can get him at the deadline. If they don't get him it was a waste of cap space and if they do they'll have to give up a lot for a guy who's a rental player until you actually re-sign him. I hope Weber is here but since we have a decent defense now, I would focus on a couple top six forwards and make a play for Weber in free agency.

Maybe because if Weber is available next off season, Nashville will trade him this year and Holland wants the space to make a move for him this year.

I talked about this in the rumor bit in the main topics about how there is the idea going around that this is what he is up to.

I just cannot see us being able to offer something for weber that other teams can't top. Specially seeing as how Nashville will never trade us a norris caliber dman to begin with.

Just pray that suter doesnt get an extension, because he is the realistic option next summer.

Edited by Bryguy

The Wings could make a really big splash next offseason because they have no free agents they'll have to pay huge salaries, except maybe Nicklas Lidstrom -- if he decides to come back. If he doesn't, though, there are several elite free agents they could pay with that money, including Zach Parise, Brent Burns, Patrick Sharp and -- perhaps most intriguingly -- Shea Weber. Losing both Brian Rafalski this season and potentially Lidstrom next season could make them an ideal destination for the 2010-11 Norris Trophy finalist.

I read that myself, but the writer doesn't think Stuart or Kronwall will command money as free agents?

I read that myself, but the writer doesn't think Stuart or Kronwall will command money as free agents?

Oh they will command money for sure.

This is why I don't think the Semin deal is a possibility. The money Hudler is getting plus the money for our other exiting UFAs could cover (barely) the raises for Stuart and Kronner. As well as short term deals with our prospects and supporting casts.

Lidstrom then comes off the books and you could figure his money would go to a new number one, or the pot for everyone. If that is the case we are under the cap for two years in a row at least making sure we resign our best players over two stressful offseasons.

If he doesn't use the money on rental players that is...

All this means is he could possibly make a move for Weber or not. It just is reading tea leafs.

I don't know if I have ever written my thoughts on the most sly concept of why the Wings want Weber this year...

I believe that if Weber was acquired prior to Lidstrom deciding to hang them up, Lidstrom would stay longer.

Therefore making a trade where we lose four first round picks worth of talent or more would be worth it, if you figure you might be getting TWO Norris Trophy Candidates. (One of them a prolific winner of the greatest NHL Defenesmen trophy...)

That is why I would be willing to give up a bunch.

Guest Crymson

It's conceivable that Holland could be saving money to sign Weber or Suter in the NEXT offseason.

Majsheppard: It's not possible for anyone to send an offer sheet to Weber anymore. He has been put on the list for salary arbitration. If the arbiter awards him a contract that Nashville finds unacceptable, then they can choose to release him; at that point, he will be become an unrestricted free agent. However, I feel it unlikely that this will happen, as he's currently the face of the Predators and they've already cleared cap space to fit him under their internal cap. That said, if he does make it to unrestricted free agency this summer, I'm not sure if the Wings will be able to offer him any significant contract. We only have $6.5m of cap space left, and ~500K of that needs to be left open for call-ups (lest we end up like the Devils of last season). Were Hudler moved, there would be sufficient space. Moving Ericsson could also accomplish the same, but I doubt that this would occur. That said, there are still several other contenders who also have the space to sign Weber.

As for Semin, he's only under contract for one more season, so he won't necessarily constrict the team in signing available UFAs next season. On that note, though, I think the short remaining time on his contract means that giving up prospects and picks for him would be a poor idea.

It's conceivable that Holland could be saving money to sign Weber or Suter in the NEXT offseason.

Majsheppard: It's not possible for anyone to send an offer sheet to Weber anymore. He has been put on the list for salary arbitration. If the arbiter awards him a contract that Nashville finds unacceptable, then they can choose to release him; at that point, he will be become an unrestricted free agent. However, I feel it unlikely that this will happen, as he's currently the face of the Predators and they've already cleared cap space to fit him under their internal cap. That said, if he does make it to unrestricted free agency this summer, I'm not sure if the Wings will be able to offer him any significant contract. We only have $6.5m of cap space left, and ~500K of that needs to be left open for call-ups (lest we end up like the Devils of last season). Were Hudler moved, there would be sufficient space. Moving Ericsson could also accomplish the same, but I doubt that this would occur. That said, there are still several other contenders who also have the space to sign Weber.

As for Semin, he's only under contract for one more season, so he won't necessarily constrict the team in signing available UFAs next season. On that note, though, I think the short remaining time on his contract means that giving up prospects and picks for him would be a poor idea.

I know no one can send offer sheets. I don't know where you got that I was suggesting that...

I also know he is going to be in arbitration, though that doesn't mean he will sign that deal as they could offer him something else. They have the cap for him no doubt, but if they think they won't be able to keep him for next year he might be dealt. Like Hossa was.

I think we are on the same page for sure. The only thing that doesn't make your thoughts about Semin now, Suter later work in my mind is that I don't think Holland wants to pay that much for a rental anymore.

I still think his number one target is Weber, and he will wait and see if he can get it done after the 2nd, or maybe even at the deadline.

Here is a thought... Maybe he gets Semin now, and then uses him as a major part of a deal for Weber later... If Nashville wants to make the playoffs and thinks they will lose Weber to UFA, they might be convinced to make a hockey trade for him. In which case having an asset like Semin would be very important.

Edited by Majsheppard

My understanding of the arbitration rule is that if the team files for arbitration as the Preds did, they have to accept the ruling. They cannot "pass". Weber will be signed to either a one or two year deal within the next 34 hours.

He asked for a one year deal this morning at some crazy number near 8 million. The Predators countered with 4.7 mil. They are miles apart, but the ruling will probably be a one year deal for close to 6.5. That is my uneducated guess, 6.35 is right in the middle, but I think Shea can point to some comparable players salaries and get a touch more than that.

Much more importantly, I believe that Weber is not scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next off season. In fact, he is not eligible for unrestricted status until after the 2012-13 season. That is two summers away.

A possible scenario that might change that would be for Weber to get a one year deal this summer and file for arbitration himself next summer. The ruling could then be denied by the Preds and Shea would then become an unrestricted free agent next summer... of course, chances of all of those things coming to pass are probably slim to none.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Weber on the Wings... but I don't see it happening anytime soon (or at all, if the Predators organization has any hockey sense whatsoever). The guy is a future multiple Norris trophy winner and a game changer.

I don't see the Wings making a trade for Weber because Detroit does not have the assets to make a deal. The only decent trade chip the Wings have is Brendan Smith. Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist and Pulkkinen are considered B grade prospects at best. Weber is a perennial Norris candidate, it's gonna take the entire farm for any team to get this deal done. I just don't see Holland trading away all these assets when the Wings have an aging team. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Weber in a Wings uniform, but Suter is a more viable option being that he's a UFA. But what happens then if Lidstrom decides to come back for 2012-2013? I'd see the Wings making a big push for Suter if they feel Stuart is going to leave. That's the only possible way, in my opinion.

i would hate the wings for the rest of my life,if they somehow manage to get shea weber,but i will never hate shea weber,if he ends up a red wing then he will probally be booed for the rest of his career when the wings come to nashville.

You shouldn't hate the Wings, they help to pay the Preds bills. Weber won't be a Wing, he is a restricted free agent after this current season, so the only way we would get him is via trade, and believe me, the Preds wont trade with us.