• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Kindl

Rate this topic

i thought kindl was ore physical last night, tried to line up some big hits and was crosschecking guys in the corners and in front of the net, ericsson on the other hand...

what exactly did Ericsson do that was so bad?

I caught the 2nd and 3rd periods, but honestly I thought it was a pretty good game for him. He actually knocked a guy on his ass and put a few people into the boards. He got a couple slappers off much quicker than he usually does.

My biggest concern is he and Kindl as a pairing. The brainfart potential is so high, as seen on the breakaway they gave up. Ericsson stepped up and put a shot on net, Kindl doesn't pay attention to where Ericsson is and he also steps up at the blackhawk player leaving the zone, instead of falling back, leading to a wide open breakaway.

Ericsson isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be here, but regardless I don't think he's a good pairing for Kindl's development.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

what exactly did Ericsson do that was so bad?

I caught the 2nd and 3rd periods, but honestly I thought it was a pretty good game for him. He actually knocked a guy on his ass and put a few people into the boards. He got a couple slappers off much quicker than he usually does.

My biggest concern is he and Kindl as a pairing. The brainfart potential is so high, as seen on the breakaway they gave up. Ericsson stepped up and put a shot on net, Kindl doesn't pay attention to where Ericsson is and he also steps up at the blackhawk player leaving the zone, instead of falling back, leading to a wide open breakaway.

Ericsson isn't nearly as bad as people make him out to be here, but regardless I don't think he's a good pairing for Kindl's development.

the whole game he struggled to get the puck out of his zone cleanly, the 3rd hawks goal was partially his fault too

the whole game he struggled to get the puck out of his zone cleanly, the 3rd hawks goal was partially his fault too

The play starts with Ericsson making a nice breakout pass right to Abby's stick, which Abby couldn't handle and turned over. E probably should've taken a better look around to see who was coming when he was in front of the net, but the biggest culprit on that goal was Kindl who overcommitted and got burned, then Miller for leaving his man wide open by not backchecking. Yet you only mention Ericsson?

I must've been watching a different game because honestly I thought he was better than usual breaking out of the zone. He seemed relaxed and didn't make his characteristic panic moves under pressure (unless they all happened in the 1st period that I didn't see). His performance this game actually gave me a glimmer of hope. He knocked a guy on his ass and put a few guys into the boards. Ericsson typically doesn't think to do that.

As I said, the main thing that scares me is a Kindl-Ericsson pairing. I think they bring out the worst in each other. Like on Frolik's breakaway. Ericsson stepped up to make a slap-pass, which would've been fine had he not missed everybody. Then it comes hard out of the corner and Kindl, not looking to see where Ericsson was, steps up to challenge the breakout, and now it's a clean breakaway.

What did he do? Did he fart loudly on the bench and that way distract Smith to cough up the puck?

I'm guessing he meant second goal. With the grief he gets here though, who knows.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

What did he do? Did he fart loudly on the bench and that way distract Smith to cough up the puck?

maybe i had the wrong play but he was not forceful enough in front of the net, he was horrible all game trying to get the puck out, he has really bad puck poise, he also isn't taking guys heads off every shift, at his size he should be.

apparently ericsson is just haroldsnepsts's love child or something, yeah he takes a lot of flack but he has looked pretty bad, if it makes you feel better smith has looked even worse

maybe i had the wrong play but he was not forceful enough in front of the net, he was horrible all game trying to get the puck out, he has really bad puck poise, he also isn't taking guys heads off every shift, at his size he should be.

apparently ericsson is just haroldsnepsts's love child or something, yeah he takes a lot of flack but he has looked pretty bad, if it makes you feel better smith has looked even worse

Maybe you had the wrong play? Ericsson wasn't even on the ice for the goal you're talking about.

So you're going to use a ridiculous statement like that to avoid backing up your statement? It's not even about Ericsson specifically. It's about this people here constantly needing a whipping boy.

If you've read anything I've ever posted about Ericsson, it's far from me thinking he's awesome. People just talk about how much he sucks and I seriously just want to know what they're seeing that makes them say that. I watched the game. He looked ok, even had a few plays that showed promise for him finally improving.

He didn't struggle to get out the zone in the 2 periods I saw, and he wasn't the one primarily at fault on the third goal (which is the one I think you meant). You say he's partially at fault for that goal, but Kindl was the one who made the awful defensive play, yet you apparently didn't see that part?

Ericsson doesn't suck. He's just an average bottom pairing guy. Now he's an overpaid #5 guy, but there's a small chance he can improve to earn his contract.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Maybe you had the wrong play? Ericsson wasn't even on the ice for the goal you're talking about.

So you're going to use a ridiculous statement like that to avoid backing up your statement? It's not even about Ericsson specifically. It's about this people here constantly needing a whipping boy.

If you've read anything I've ever posted about Ericsson, it's far from me thinking he's awesome. People just talk about how much he sucks and I seriously just want to know what they're seeing that makes them say that. I watched the game. He looked ok, even had a few plays that showed promise for him finally improving.

He didn't struggle to get out the zone in the 2 periods I saw, and he wasn't the one primarily at fault on the third goal (which is the one I think you meant). You say he's partially at fault for that goal, but Kindl was the one who made the awful defensive play, yet you apparently didn't see that part?

Ericsson doesn't suck. He's just an average bottom pairing guy. Now he's an overpaid #5 guy, but there's a small chance he can improve to earn his contract.

well maybe you didn't notice, but he has been awful getting the puck out of his own zone, no puck poise like I said, he was great when he first came in some way some how but he has lost his confidence and poise which is really important to a dman

well maybe you didn't notice, but he has been awful getting the puck out of his own zone, no puck poise like I said, he was great when he first came in some way some how but he has lost his confidence and poise which is really important to a dman

To clarify, my comments on Ericsson were specifically about last night's game. I haven't seen him play any other time this preseason.

And honestly I don't think Ericsson was that great his first season. He was very good for a rookie. So the expectation was that he'll be great once he gets experience. Unfortunately, he hasn't really developed much.

It's like with Kindl. He's not better than Ericsson right now, but what he has going for him is he has a lot less experience than Ericsson, so there's a lot of potential and hope for his development.

I still hold out hope for all these guys, because it'd be a great problem to have if Ericsson, Kindl and Smith are all playing well and fighting for ice time. My worry is that the knock against all of them is ill-timed, boneheaded turnovers. But maybe that's common for developing defenseman that aren't stay-at-home dmen.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

To clarify, my comments on Ericsson were specifically about last night's game. I haven't seen him play any other time this preseason.

And honestly I don't think Ericsson was that great his first season. He was very good for a rookie. So the expectation was that he'll be great once he gets experience. Unfortunately, he hasn't really developed much.

It's like with Kindl. He's not better than Ericsson right now, but what he has going for him is he has a lot less experience than Ericsson, so there's a lot of potential and hope for his development.

I still hold out hope for all these guys, because it'd be a great problem to have if Ericsson, Kindl and Smith are all playing well and fighting for ice time. My worry is that the knock against all of them is ill-timed, boneheaded turnovers. But maybe that's common for developing defenseman that aren't stay-at-home dmen.

the thing with kindl is he said these things and he was visibly trying to come through with them

Soft in what way, exactly? He's not a guy who is constantly looking to slam his opponents into the wall, but he's a talented offensive player and solid defensively. He was one of the best UFAs heading into the summer; Carolina was lucky to keep him, especially for what they did.

Over the summer when discussing FA's many people made it clear how soft he was. I actually thought he would be a good option at the beginning of the off season (to replace raffi's offense), till LGW discussed picking him up. I don't remember specifics, but i got that the general message was he's softer than kaberle, and because of this unique level of softness he is not "defensively sound". thou hell, we shoulda just got em, i mean its not like E or kindl can do their job either :D

Guest Heaten

Ericsson could play defense better than Stuart, and score better than Ralfi and will still somehow be the LGWs official whipping boy.

I watched several preseason games and he's not even the worse defenders making $3million or more. Stuart and Kronwall have been far worse than Ericsson, yet somehow Ericsson is the goat everyone wants to talk about. While E had some brain dead moments, he's been solid. He and Kindl have not done well together. Put Ericsson with White or Kronwall and he'll finish the year with one of the best +/- stats like he did last year.

I think peoples' hate for him is so strong that they refuse to watch the game objectivley. Like the guy you responded to tried to say how bad Ericsson is this preseason, then replies back admitting that he had the play he was originally referring to all messed up and it wasn't Ericsson's fault when he thought it was. That proves that a player (Lidstrom for example) could go -2 with 3 giveaways, it will somehow be made Ericsson's fault even though he was on the bench during the giveaway and is a +3 in the game.

it's going to be another long year on LGWs.

Ericsson could play defense better than Stuart, and score better than Ralfi and will still somehow be the LGWs official whipping boy.

I watched several preseason games and he's not even the worse defenders making $3million or more. Stuart and Kronwall have been far worse than Ericsson, yet somehow Ericsson is the goat everyone wants to talk about. While E had some brain dead moments, he's been solid. He and Kindl have not done well together. Put Ericsson with White or Kronwall and he'll finish the year with one of the best +/- stats like he did last year.

I think peoples' hate for him is so strong that they refuse to watch the game objectivley. Like the guy you responded to tried to say how bad Ericsson is this preseason, then replies back admitting that he had the play he was originally referring to all messed up and it wasn't Ericsson's fault when he thought it was. That proves that a player (Lidstrom for example) could go -2 with 3 giveaways, it will somehow be made Ericsson's fault even though he was on the bench during the giveaway and is a +3 in the game.

it's going to be another long year on LGWs.

he has not had great puck poise and he hasn't had great passing, nor is he physical enough. Kronwall has had some nice offensive step ups and passing. All of the dmen besides lidstrom seem to be having defensive difficulties, that usually is the main problem at the beginning of the season, though white has looked pretty solid as well. Ericsson and Smith have been the worst of the bunch and guys like Exelby not far behind. It isn't outrageous to bash people and I have several other players that I critique more harshly than ericsson if you look at my posting history I don't really ever complain that much about him besides he isn't physical enough but people were drawing comparisons and I am just pointing out the negative things ericsson has been doing, and he has been not that great.

Guest Heaten

he has not had great puck poise and he hasn't had great passing, nor is he physical enough. Kronwall has had some nice offensive step ups and passing. All of the dmen besides lidstrom seem to be having defensive difficulties, that usually is the main problem at the beginning of the season, though white has looked pretty solid as well. Ericsson and Smith have been the worst of the bunch and guys like Exelby not far behind. It isn't outrageous to bash people and I have several other players that I critique more harshly than ericsson if you look at my posting history I don't really ever complain that much about him besides he isn't physical enough but people were drawing comparisons and I am just pointing out the negative things ericsson has been doing, and he has been not that great.

Kronwall hasn't been that physical this preseason either. Maybe he is confident he has a roster spot and doesn't feel the need to risk injury? I'm also pretty sure Ericsson wants to stay healhy as well. Why risk injury in a preseason game? Unless you're fighting for a roster spot and want to impress the coaches, it makes no sense.

Stuart has been brutal. Kronwall has been inconstant as hell. Ericsson has made some fine passes and some bad passes. No better, no worse than Kronwall. In this preseason, Ericsson has looked like the 4th best defenseman behind Lidstrom, White, and Kronwall. Stuart, especially, has been very disappointing. Smith is another defenseman that has been a total let down this preseason. Kindl is Kindl... he's been what I expected.

You are free to critique Ericsson all you want. But he hasn't even been the worst dman making $3+ million this preseason... and it should be mentioned he's been paired with 6th and 7th dmen on the depth chart.

Edit, thanks for the negative. I'm sure you live to neg those who you don't agree with! Lol!

Edited by Heaten

Kronwall hasn't been that physical this preseason either. Maybe he is confident he has a roster spot and doesn't feel the need to risk injury? I'm also pretty sure Ericsson wants to stay healhy as well. Why risk injury in a preseason game? Unless you're fighting for a roster spot and want to impress the coaches, it makes no sense.

Stuart has been brutal. Kronwall has been inconsitant as hell. Ericsson has made some fine passes and some bad passes. No better, no worse than Kronwall. In this preseason, Ericsson has looked like the 4th best defenseman behind Lidstrom, White, and Kronwall. Stuart, especially, has been very disappointing. Smith is another defenseman that has been a total let down this offseason. Kindl is Kindl... he's been what I expected.

You are free to critique Ericsson all you want. But he hasn't even been the worst dman making $3+ million this preseason... and it should be mentioned he's been paired with 6th and 7th dmen on the depth chart.

He still has to battle with kindl and commodore, at least commodore fought, the way I see it if kindl and commodore can bring more physicality they will bump ericsson out of the top 6, maybe stuart has sucked in the preseason but he is a veteran, ericsson still has to prove something

Guest Heaten

He still has to battle with kindl and commodore, at least commodore fought, the way I see it if kindl and commodore can bring more physicality they will bump ericsson out of the top 6, maybe stuart has sucked in the preseason but he is a veteran, ericsson still has to prove something

No he doesn't. Ericsson and his $3million salary is locked for the #5 dman position. The battle comes down to Commodore vs Kindl.

No he doesn't. Ericsson and his $3million salary is locked for the #5 dman position. The battle comes down to Commodore vs Kindl.

well then the contract looks bad because talent wise he should be in a battle with them, and I wouldn't be suprise if he rides the pine at some point.

Guest Heaten

well then the contract looks bad because talent wise he should be in a battle with them, and I wouldn't be suprise if he rides the pine at some point.

Using that logic, Stuart should be battling for a roster spot.

That said, I trust Holland and Babcock's opinion over yours.

Stuart has been brutal. Kronwall has been inconstant as hell. Ericsson has made some fine passes and some bad passes. No better, no worse than Kronwall. In this preseason, Ericsson has looked like the 4th best defenseman behind Lidstrom, White, and Kronwall. Stuart, especially, has been very disappointing. Smith is another defenseman that has been a total let down this preseason. Kindl is Kindl... he's been what I expected.

Edit, thanks for the negative. I'm sure you live to neg those who you don't agree with! Lol!

Kronwall was the Red Wings best d-man in the playoffs and Stuart has been nothing but solid since coming to the team. Why are we using the preseason to justify Ericsson's contract?

Ericsson to me is not getting any better. He has been givin lots of opportunity to grow his game and improve but every year the same thing. Costly turnovers, caught out of position, and a serious lack of using the body. I have no idea what Kenny and Babs see in this kid but I do trust their judgement. I do think that big E will be moved if his game dosen't improve this season. Kindl in my mind has more up side at this point but still has some learning to do. All in all I am happy with our backend. Our young players ( Smith and Kindl ) look great!

Guest Heaten

Kronwall was the Red Wings best d-man in the playoffs and Stuart has been nothing but solid since coming to the team. Why are we using the preseason to justify Ericsson's contract?

This is the preseason. Ericsson just got his contract and people are already pointing to it as a failure when the pairings have not been decided and the regular season hasn't even started yet. The point was Ericsson isn't even the worse defenseman making $3+ million right now. People can only criticize what he's done in years past (even though he was the 2nd best +/- defenseman on the team last year) and complain. Complaining during the preseason is unwarranted.

Erisson is locked to be #5 this year whether people like it or not. Sorry you missed the original point, you are coming into an off topic conversation and you didn't read the posts leading up to the overall conversation.

You probably missed the post where someone blamed Ericsson for a giveaway when he wasn't even on the ice. This seems to be the norm, not the exception on LGWs because people are so consumed with hate that they can't watch the game objectively.

This is the preseason. Ericsson just got his contract and people are already pointing to it as a failure when the pairings have not been decided and the regular season hasn't even started yet. The point was Ericsson isn't even the worse defenseman making $3+ million right now. People can only criticize what he's done in years past (even though he was the 2nd best +/- defenseman on the team last year) and complain. Complaining during the preseason is unwarranted.

Erisson is locked to be #5 this year whether people like it or not. Sorry you missed the original point, you are coming into an off topic conversation and you didn't read the posts leading up to the overall conversation.

You probably missed the post where someone blamed Ericsson for a giveaway when he wasn't even on the ice. This seems to be the norm, not the exception on LGWs because people are so consumed with hate that they can't watch the game objectively.

I'd fully argue the +/- thing was mainly due to Rafalski being so dominate in 5v5 play. Rafalski may have played average defensively, but he was completely able to take over even strength play with his offensive abilities, which is why Ericsson had such a good +/-.