• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

All I know is I had one very p.o.'d housemate last night. We're trying to watch tv, and all of a sudden I hear a loud, blue streak of words. Terry and I looked at each other and said, "What the hell?" I know not to question the source of the words.
Posted Image

#62 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:59 AM

All I know is I had one very p.o.'d housemate last night. We're trying to watch tv, and all of a sudden I hear a loud, blue streak of words. Terry and I looked at each other and said, "What the hell?" I know not to question the source of the words.

Was sumthin' Bruin up a storm in the house?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#63 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm not ready to say the guy is a weasel, or a dirty player, but I think it was kind of a dirty play and honestly, I sometimes like dirty play, particularly from guys who you expect it from. I was always a big Maltby and Chelios fan, so I'd be a hypocrite if I condemned the guy for a dirty play, but he got caught and now he has to do the time.

It's guys like Marchand that keep us fans at the edge of our seat by getting his nose dirty, and mixing it up...He's not yet in the category of dirty such as Cooke/Lemieux/Pronger/Sammuelsson, but like you said he's def a Maltby type - although alot more skilled.

#64 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

I get the feeling a lot if people didn't play hockey and don't appreciate how dirty this play really is. Im ok with 5, just wanted him suspended.

I've played. The hit is certainly dirty. If suspensions are based on danger, is this hit more dangerous than the hit on Abby last week? I would say Marchand was 'dirtier', but I don't think it was as dangerous.

I would have liked the NHL video to mention the difference between the play in question and a clean hip check. Obviously the knees are important in the rule book, and I would have liked to see this difference explained further.

#65 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

Marchand is a dirty player and a chicken little. It's a good thing that he was suspended.

#66 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

It's guys like Marchand that keep us fans at the edge of our seat by getting his nose dirty, and mixing it up...He's not yet in the category of dirty such as Cooke/Lemieux/Pronger/Sammuelsson, but like you said he's def a Maltby type - although alot more skilled.

Agreed.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#67 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,021 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't know that I'd want him on the Wings, but I did laugh when he did this:

C'mon Daniel, even Franzen has a point where he'll pop a guy for screwing with him. You're gonna just take jabs from the little weasel?

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 10 January 2012 - 11:28 AM.

#68 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

I don't know that I'd want him on the Wings, but I did laugh when he did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEh53OWz0jU

C'mon Daniel, even Franzen has a point where he'll pop a guy for screwing with him. You're gonna just take jabs from the little weasel?

C'mon now Harold - we all know you'd be the 1st in line to get your #63 Marchand jersey if he found his way to Detroit, and I'd be standing right behind ya ;)

#69 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Marchand should be suspended just for having such an annoying face.

He acts tough because he knows he's backed up by such a tough team. I'd like to see this ***** pull his antics in a Wings uniform.

Fixed :hehe:
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#70 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Marchand's response to his suspension.

#71 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE

Ok...My take on this...At the start of this longer video of the hit - we see #6 Salo, and #63 Marchand tangle along the boards...They seperate...Puck comes around once more along the boards...Both players going for it - although at the last second Marchand dips his shoulder, and submarines Salo.

Now at the 1:58 mark - in slow motion I see Marchand duck down, and Salo turns slightly as though he's bracing for impact...The point of contact isn't so much Marchand's shoulder to Salo's knee...IMHO it's more of Marchand's shoulder/upper back into Salo's left thigh/hamstring (2:13 of the vid).

I personally won't lose any sleep over Shanahan's decision; I honestly would've been shocked had there wasn't a suspension...For those calling out Marchand as a little weasel - yeah he has some of those qualities, but he's also stood up for himself by fighting Subban/Niskanen/Cogliano.

I may get flamed for saying this, but I'd love to have Marchand on the Red Wings...Just like Perry - he'd be "our" little douchebag for others to hate.

The Wings don't have anyone to back Marchand's actions. He'd get murdered if he played for the Wings.

But as I said earlier, I think he'd be a lot more timid in a different uniform. This retard ***** just acts tough because they have many fighters on their team to protect him.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#72 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

The Wings don't have anyone to back Marchand's actions. He'd get murdered if he played for the Wings.

But as I said earlier, I think he'd be a lot more timid in a different uniform. This retard ***** just acts tough because they have many fighters on their team to protect him.

This phenomena is known as the "Maltby effect" :lol:

#73 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,846 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

This phenomena is known as the "Maltby effect" :lol:

Maltby was annoying, but I've honestly never thought of him as a dirty or cheap player. Kind of like Holmstrom. He yaps a lot and gets on people's nerves, but I don't remember him trying to end someone's season or anything like that.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#74 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Marchand's response to his suspension.

You know what, good on him. I don't really like Marchand, but 5 games was far too much, in my opinion. Was it dirty? Yeah, but after looking at the video a few times, a major and a game misconduct was enough.

At the end of that article, the word "soft"..starts so many conversations on LGW :lol:

Maltby was annoying, but I've honestly never thought of him as a dirty or cheap player. Kind of like Holmstrom. He yaps a lot and gets on people's nerves, but I don't remember him trying to end someone's season or anything like that.

Guys got annoyed with him because he finished every check, hacked and whacked, and he had a smart mouth, but he never threw any cheapshots.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#75 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Well - IMO Marchand has yet to prove to be at the same level of dirty as Matt Cooke, Dan Carcillo, or Chris Pronger - yet he's still young, and there's always that possibility.

I don't recall ever seeing Maltby drop his gloves, and "man up" for his actions (although he has fought back when in a scrum, or if he got jumped); Marchand on the other hand has answered the bell a few times in his young career.

Maltby was at his best when McCarty, or Kocur were out there with him, and as you've pointed out having a tough team behind him gives Marchand the balls to "play a few inches taller"...IMHO there's nothing wrong with that; it's a primary reason why it's not such a bad idea to have a few guys on the bench whom are willing, and able to drop the mitts...That attitude can be infectious, and it's fun as hell not only to watch your team beat them on the scoreboard, but it's also fun watching your team beat'em up as well.

Edited by F.Michael, 10 January 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#76 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,338 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

The weird thing is, a lot of the other fanbases call Maltby a dirty player. I never saw it personally, because I thought he was the perfect pest without doing anything dirtier than normal.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#77 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,340 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

The weird thing is, a lot of the other fanbases call Maltby a dirty player. I never saw it personally, because I thought he was the perfect pest without doing anything dirtier than normal.

I'm sorry, but when you break someone's legs with your stick, you are most definitely a dirty player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v06KNntkHho

Posted Image

#78 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'm sorry, but when you break someone's legs with your stick, you are most definitely a dirty player.

LMFAO. I was like, he did what? Oh....that.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#79 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

"I don't care what my reputation is".

Then, keep up the "good' work.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#80 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Then, keep up the "good' work.

I honestly hope he doesn't change - unless of course he enters the Cooke level of cheap shots.

His "hard nosed" style is somewhat rare in todays NHL; it's that style/attitude that breeds heated rivalries which is something we don't see in todays NHL as much as in years past...I miss that kind of hockey.